Which 27" G-Sync 1440P 144/165Hz IPS/TN Monitor?

Associate
I currently have a BenQ XL2410T and I'm going to replace my dying GTX580 which is currently under water with a GTX970 or 980 so I'm also looking for a 2nd monitor. 24 is looking a bit small for me now so I'm looking for a 27" or larger.

Anyone got any recommendations? I was hoping for another BenQ but they didn't release a XL2730G, only a XL2730Z which is a damn shame because I love these panels.

Would be interested in getting a IPS this time round since I do more than just game. Do all the current monitors come with a Blue light filter? The BenQ XL2730Z specifies this but others don't? I haven't bought a monitor for a few years now so a bit behind on the tech, but colour accuracy, etc is important for me and I will be looking to calibrate it.

Price isn't too much of a factor since I usually keep a monitor to last me a long time so I see it as a worthy investment.

The Dell S2716DG caught my eye, as did the PG279Q ROG Swift and also the Acer Predator XB271HU, however there's just too many choices to choose from now!

I'm also looking to hook up my PS4, so multiple inputs would be a necessity.

Last edited:
Associate
I just got myself a Dell S2716DG big step up from a 24inch it has display port and hdmi inputs so you should be good to go I would highly recommend the Dell, but that is just me

Associate
OP
I do like the Dell, and I would consider it since it's got a 8bit TN Panel.

I'm wondering whether it's worth jumping to a IPS panel or whether the TN panel will be fine

Associate
Personally love my PG279Q to bits, I think my only minor snag is that I kind of wish the G-Sync indicator was white instead of red, or that you could turn it off as when G-Sync is off the light is white :p

But that's a very minor flaw on an otherwise fantastic monitor :)

Associate
OP
Personally love my PG279Q to bits, I think my only minor snag is that I kind of wish the G-Sync indicator was white instead of red, or that you could turn it off as when G-Sync is off the light is white :p

But that's a very minor flaw on an otherwise fantastic monitor :)

The more I read about it the more I'm tempted by it! Having had the Benq XL2410T (which I calibrated on the sRGB profile!) I personally find it fantastic for a TN, I'd say the PG279Q would be a nice step up. And I prefer it out of the other IPS monitors from everything I've read. I might just bite the bullet! And if I order within 16 hours I'll have it by Sunday, so that's awesome

Permabanned
If you have the budget then get IPS so either the XB271HU or the PG279Q. You'll need a beefier GPU though if you want to get reasonable framerates on Full Ultra 1440p in games. I can't remember the GSync range but 48fps-144 sticks to my mind.

Things I would look for before deciding is:
- Panel coating
- Number of connectivity options
- Bezel
- Warranty

I'm sure there will be a Youtube video comparing the two.

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks for that. Ok my decision is based on either the XB271HU or the PG279Q, I'm stuck between the two. They both are pretty similar, except I hear some issues such as IPS glow, BLB and the usual stuff so not sure which one to go with.

I'm also going to get 2 of them and pair it with a 980ti or titan x.

Soldato
Hi, thanks for that. Ok my decision is based on either the XB271HU or the PG279Q, I'm stuck between the two. They both are pretty similar, except I hear some issues such as IPS glow, BLB and the usual stuff so not sure which one to go with.

I'm also going to get 2 of them and pair it with a 980ti or titan x.

I suggest you check out the various threads out there on the PG279Q... there's a particularly interesting one over at overclock.net. Same goes for the XB271HU, although it's not so widely available yet. It's been available in US for a couple of months, so a fair few over there have it, and it SEEMS to be a touch better but by no means perfect. It would be my choice between the two, but still somewhat of a lottery as to whether you'll get a good one or not. As to your earlier TN vs IPS question, no one can answer that except you... the only way to know is try both and see for yourself.

Man of Honour
TN v IPS depends on what kind of gaming you do - if you are a competitive FPS gamer then there aren't really any IPS panels that are ideal for that - if its mostly MMOs, etc. then an IPS is a serious consideration.

Associate
OP
I suggest you check out the various threads out there on the PG279Q... there's a particularly interesting one over at overclock.net. Same goes for the XB271HU, although it's not so widely available yet. It's been available in US for a couple of months, so a fair few over there have it, and it SEEMS to be a touch better but by no means perfect. It would be my choice between the two, but still somewhat of a lottery as to whether you'll get a good one or not. As to your earlier TN vs IPS question, no one can answer that except you... the only way to know is try both and see for yourself.

TN v IPS depends on what kind of gaming you do - if you are a competitive FPS gamer then there aren't really any IPS panels that are ideal for that - if its mostly MMOs, etc. then an IPS is a serious consideration.

Thanks, I've had a bit of a read, this one was particularly eye opening and has put me off both!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81982-Pros-and-Cons-of-the-Swift-PG279Q-vs-Acer

Thinking of getting 2 of the Dell's again. I do game and watch stuff in low light a lot so I think that would annoy me

Man of Honour
Think they are being a tad harsh on the IPS - the latest gaming ones are about as good as you'd expect for an IPS - perfectly fine for casual gaming and if you are playing games where IQ is a bonus a good option - but at the end of the day they are an IPS panel and categorically don't have the motion clarity of a TN for fast paced competitive gaming - so buying one for that kind of usage and expecting results is a touch naive heh (not aimed at people posting here).

Associate
OP
Think they are being a tad harsh on the IPS - the latest gaming ones are about as good as you'd expect for an IPS - perfectly fine for casual gaming and if you are playing games where IQ is a bonus a good option - but at the end of the day they are an IPS panel and categorically don't have the motion clarity of a TN for fast paced competitive gaming - so buying one for that kind of usage and expecting results is a touch naive heh (not aimed at people posting here).

You're right, I read a bit more and in real world I won't even notice the difference. The BLB and IPS Glow issues are improving, recent customer reviews on other sites have consistently said (at least for the last month or so) their panels are good without those issues, so maybe their QC is getting better after all the complaints.

Once it's calibrated it should be fine. I'm going to place an order now from another reputable place (not allowed to say where) though as I found a really significant price drop and there's only 2 left so I'll snatch up those two before they go! Should be here for tomorrow, excited!

Man of Honour
The Dell S2716DG is what i went to from the xl2420T differences were amazing tbh, colours vastly improved great screen so far

I'm still quite blown away by the difference in image quality and colours going from an XL2420 to the original ROG Swift.

Associate
OP
I'm still quite blown away by the difference in image quality and colours going from an XL2420 to the original ROG Swift.

I'm very particular when it comes to image quality and colours now than I was when I first bought my Benq XL2410T and that monitor now bugs me now that I can see what the limitations of TN panels are. I have an IPS screen in my Surface Pro 3 tablet and the colour difference is night and day and it's a 1440P screen and that does not bug me at all.

I'm also not too bothered with the lack of 3D Vision. I had the OG 3D Vision with my XL2410T and used it on Arkham Asylum and then just didn't use it ever again.

Anyway I'll see when the monitors arrive tomorrow :D

Man of Honour
Colours aren't the most accurate in the world - but they are reasonably natural looking and atleast on the Swift TNs you have to drop the gamma in software to get a really pleasing look which takes away from the accuracy as well - but on my old BenQ TN the colours were horribly garish and jarring quite unnatural looking (but I guess appeal to the average consumer who just likes things to be overly bright and colourful).

I have mine sitting next to a Dell U2913WM which is generally considered one of the better IPS panels and properly calibrated and unlike all the TNs before it the Swift doesn't look hideously out of place beside it.

Soldato

afaik it is the same panel in the dells but yes this is an upgrade i should have done a long time ago not even bothered about losing the second monitor.

Associate
The Dell S2716DG is what i went to from the xl2420T differences were amazing tbh, colours vastly improved great screen so far

Does the BenQ XL2730Z share the same panel?

Edit: Nevermind, according to TFT it is indeed the same panel.

Associate
Ok for all you people saying how good the Asus PG279Q is this is what I just posted after having 2 of them in the last week.
Ok so now that I have tried 2 of these Asus Pg279Q monitors I wont try a 3rd as I'm not sure how anyone would spend that much money and put up with the back light bleed or ips glow in the corners which I can see while watching movies or playing games in not pitch black scenes but just darker scenes. I got myself a new GTX980ti and wanted to buy a 1440p with g-sync monitor but after seeing so many forums and youtube clips showing and saying back light bleed or ips glow from all of the latest top high end gaming monitors from asus and acer I just cant believe how anyone can give these a great review and saying that they are the best out there right now ???????? grrrrrrrrrrrrr are u ******* CRAZY ????? I have a 3 and half year old Samsung SA950 27" 1080p with 120hz monitor and imo its almost as smooth if not the same (so close) and colours between that and the asus ips panel are almost the same but in darker scenes my Samsung is much better with blacks and if I watch a movie my Samsung has smoother movement. The biggest difference is the viewing angles as ips is much better but as I'm sitting right in front of it this isn't a big problem.
I do want a 1440p monitor but really is this asus and the acer (same panel) the best there is cos that is a joke after 3 and half years the quality control of these monitors is shocking. I was thinking about swapping it for the Asus pg278 TN panel to see if there was less back light bleed and maybe the 1ms response time would make movies smoother like my 2ms Samsung. Can anyone recommend another monitor ?
I want to swap to 1440p
(BTW the quality with these has nothing to do with overclocker)
How many people have used the Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz and what are your thoughts ?

Man of Honour
^^ AUO seems to be a big panel lottery :( there is a huge difference between my original Swift (TN) which was good until it died and the replacement (also TN) which is actually far better - but it just seems to be a massive lottery :( I'll be sad if this one dies as once I pushed a couple of edges a bit the backlight bleed has largely gone aside from a very faint band along the bottom edge.

Back
Top Bottom