usb headphones, is it a pain?

Associate
looking at the options of getting a new headphones for gaming

but the sound of a usb headset seems " hmmm" to me

Im use to the basic 3.5mm jack plug connection, get the 3.5mm plug, connect to sound card/control module or my speaker control module and away i go.....

so the q is

if i get a usb headset and connect it, do I have to go to the windows settings/audio settings and activate it in the "Audio Devices"

I assume if i activate via the windows settings then it will disable my speakers and optical?

Im use to plug and play, and i dont want to go into settings everytime i connect my headset, so it it a pain to use usb headset and can u have a plug and play option without bothering my settings?

so just insert usb and get sound without doing anything else?

Associate
insert usb and the sound should automatically change to your headset. if you like to alternate between multiple devices such as your headset and your speakers you can use a software called SoundSwitch which allows to you to switch between sound devices using a hotkey(s) of your choice. for example, when i've been watching youtube with my speakers and start to play games, i just hit alt-ctrl-f12 to switch to my headset.

Associate
OP
insert usb and the sound should automatically change to your headset. if you like to alternate between multiple devices such as your headset and your speakers you can use a software called SoundSwitch which allows to you to switch between sound devices using a hotkey(s) of your choice. for example, when i've been watching youtube with my speakers and start to play games, i just hit alt-ctrl-f12 to switch to my headset.

but if i didn't want 3rd part software it will work as plug and play right?
i mean do u own usb headphones?

coz usb sounds better than 3.5mm coz its digital, Im seeing a good usb headphones here for a great price, but I really dont want to change my curent settings...

Soldato
When I had usb headphones when I plugged them in, they installed the driver and normally just worked when plugged in. When unplugged it defaulted to my soundcard. However some programs needed to restart to work with the new sound device.

If you want to leave them plugged in but switch to another sound device you need to open the playback device window and change the default. Or use a 3rd party app.

USB headphones are still analogue but they do the conversion from digital to analogue. They are good if your current sound solution is fairly basic (old onboard sound). Whereas if you have a high end soundcard or external DAC then 3.5mm headphones are generally better.

This experience is all based on my comparison between the hyperx cloud 2 and sennheiser HD598 with onboard z77 sound and a Xonar Xense soundcard.

Associate
OP
When I had usb headphones when I plugged them in, they installed the driver and normally just worked when plugged in. When unplugged it defaulted to my soundcard. However some programs needed to restart to work with the new sound device.

If you want to leave them plugged in but switch to another sound device you need to open the playback device window and change the default. Or use a 3rd party app.

USB headphones are still analogue but they do the conversion from digital to analogue. They are good if your current sound solution is fairly basic (old onboard sound). Whereas if you have a high end soundcard or external DAC then 3.5mm headphones are generally better.

This experience is all based on my comparison between the hyperx cloud 2 and sennheiser HD598 with onboard z77 sound and a Xonar Xense soundcard.

ahh, seen, I have a SB ZX so im thinking then my HD 518s plugged right in the control module to benefit from the sound cards amp will be better sound than a USB Corsair 2100s right?

sorry just trying to get a picture here as ive never owned usb headphones, i also own a AKG M50x which sound insane with the ZX,

but the usb corsair 2100 wireless headphones with 50mm drivers will sound better or worse? they use to be around a 100 quid but now its 40 quid re-furbished, sounds like a great product and for gaming, just thinking if it will sound better then my existing headphones...

Soldato
SPDIF DAC also a possibility, then regular jack headphones, any quality you want. I have a Topping VX1 for headphone / speakers. It's USB (wish it was SPDIF, TBH), works just fine, like UsB headphones.

Back
Top Bottom