Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Gave them a call for my Step dad today. Knocked £12 off the bill pcm and raised the speeds to 200Mbps and the AC router is on route (still rocking a SH1).

Not going to complain for paying less.

Associate
Gave them a call for my Step dad today. Knocked £12 off the bill pcm and raised the speeds to 200Mbps and the AC router is on route (still rocking a SH1).

Not going to complain for paying less.

What was the £12 for? Were you on an old price plan paying more than new customers would after the deal, or did they just take you down? What was your stretegy?

Soldato
What was the £12 for? Were you on an old price plan paying more than new customers would after the deal, or did they just take you down? What was your stretegy?

Combination of old price plan and dropping from unlimited calls to evening and weekend. The call change apparently saved £4 per month so not entirely where the remaining £8 has come from. Was previously on the 120Mbps package which no longer exists, so I would assume price plans.

Associate
I have 200Mb bb, 'more' tv package and 'L' landline and pay £54 with VM. Used to have TV XL and paid £75 a month but I never used to watch the extra channels to sorted it out a couple of weeks back.

Got a call today from VM in india, he said he could give me Sky movies channels free for 6 months and after that it would be £10 extra if I didn't cancel. I said yes as long as it was free and then he said my monthly bill would be £63. I didn't realise until he had gone that my new payment should have been £54 and not £63 so it was not free.

I had to call VM and get it cancelled off reducing my payment back to £54.

How does my monthly payment compare with you guys? They never seem to offer me any good deals anymore.

Associate
I have 200MB, XL TV and Talk weekend, I pay £70.98 now that it's just gone up the £3.99, but was paying 66.99 before that. I get £8 a month off apparently, as loyalty discount.

Associate
I have the Big Kahuna Sports Bundle; 200 MB broadband, XL TV with Sky Sports, and Talk Weekends phone for £60/month (retention deal).
I will need to 're-negotiate' with them in 9 months time.

Associate
^ how did you negotiate that?

Whenever I call VM to try and get a better deal it's as if they actually WANT me to leave! I used to get a £5 loyalty discount but even that has expired.

Associate
Whenever I speak to VM they always use the argument about 'we have the best broadband' and don't offer me anything. They look at my usage and immediately see they have me over a barrel as there is no direct competitor yet to 200MB service.

Associate
That deal above is crazy! I tried calling them a month ago and they just said because I already have the £8 off (I was complaining about it going up another £4 when just over a year ago it went up £5.49) they wouldn't do it and even after it went up I was cheaper than a new customer would be after their lowered price period.

She said to call back when that expires I think in March or May, to 're negotiate' - This is my worry that the negotiate won't go so well as I tend to have little luck, like cyber69.

Permabanned
I've found that the best time to negotiate a new deal is when they announce price increases. They seem to offer much better deals then than just doing it because you are out of contract.

Associate
I've found that the best time to negotiate a new deal is when they announce price increases. They seem to offer much better deals then than just doing it because you are out of contract.

That's what I tried though, but they didn't give me anything as I already had a loyalty discount :(

Associate
To get the best deals you have to be out of contract, and ring them up and say you want to cancel your services.

They gave me 2 other deals before the £60 one, so don't take the first offer. You may have to go through with the cancellation, in which case during the 30 day cancellation period you should expect to get a call from the outbound retention team - they have the power to offer better deals.
They don't want to lose customers.

Associate
To get the best deals you have to be out of contract, and ring them up and say you want to cancel your services.

They gave me 2 other deals before the £60 one, so don't take the first offer. You may have to go through with the cancellation, in which case during the 30 day cancellation period you should expect to get a call from the outbound retention team - they have the power to offer better deals.
They don't want to lose customers.

That's the risk though, what if they don't call?

Soldato
Since everyone has been upgraded to 200mbps my line has been awful. Right now I'm getting just over 2mbps. I just got off the phone to Virgin who pretty much admitted that the upgrade to 200mbps has put lots of areas well over the limit and has over saturated the network in a lot of areas. I said that we only have 31 houses connected to our box but he still insisted it's over utilization since the upgrade.

So Virgin have pretty much upgraded to network speeds they knowingly know they cannot support ? Nice.....

Think I will start looking elsewhere as I would much rather a slower more consistent service.

Back
Top Bottom