• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problems with R9 Nano

Associate
OP
Do you use a surge protector?
Disable hibernation and sleep modes in bios.
Turn off power saving.

I don't use a surge protector, no. Have turned off power saving etc - same problem.

Just put my 280x back in and it works fine, so I'm leaning towards a borked card given the Nano should use a fair bit less power than that

Soldato
I don't use a surge protector, no. Have turned off power saving etc - same problem.

Just put my 280x back in and it works fine, so I'm leaning towards a borked card given the Nano should use a fair bit less power than that

Is your motherboard bios up to date as that can cause problems?

Soldato
Some things to do.

- Make sure you are not overclocking your cpu
- Test the nano in the 2nd pci-e slot.
- Test with another 6+2 power connector if your PSU has one.
- Try testing in another pc if you can access one.
- Test system RAM with test or test with only 1 stick at a time.

If nothing works then RMA the nano

Last edited:
Associate
I have done. Can only see Kernel-Power 41 errors

srry yea i somehow missed it in the first post.
start with the basics, unplug and replug all PSU cables, switch around the 8pin cable & rail, borrow PSU to test to give your card to a friend to test, but am guessing you did all that.

Soldato
Kernel-Power 41 error, all that means is windows has not shut down properly.

Can you start in safe mode?

I would say a dodgy card if your 280 works fine as that's 25 watts over the nano.

Soldato
Hey! Got my XFX R9 Nano this morning but the computer is shutting down pretty much instantly when I start games. Kernel-Power 41 errors. Any ideas? This is my spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa
Operating System: Windows 10 (64-bit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x8GB)
Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
PSU: 650W Corsair VS

I'm guessing power supply but I was under the impression 650W should be more than enough. Does a Nano require more juice than a 280X?

There are quite a few posts online about this PSU with people having all sorts of issues.

However, I would first, try safe mode. Uninstall & remove the old drivers and software like MSI AB etc
Also remove any overclocks, by doing a BIOS wipe.

Associate
OP
Kernel-Power 41 error, all that means is windows has not shut down properly.

Can you start in safe mode?

I would say a dodgy card if your 280 works fine as that's 25 watts over the nano.

Yeah, I can start in safe mode ok. Windows and everything runs fine. Playing videos etc Its literally when I play a game that I run into problems. And it doesn't seem to have to be actually within the game engine either - it's quite happy to give up the ghost on menu screens too.

I'm not running any overclocks so BIOS is pretty standard.

Associate
Yeah, I can start in safe mode ok. Windows and everything runs fine. Playing videos etc Its literally when I play a game that I run into problems. And it doesn't seem to have to be actually within the game engine either - it's quite happy to give up the ghost on menu screens too.

I'm not running any overclocks so BIOS is pretty standard.

ok i did a quick search, some ppl with similar problem and with Gigabyte motherboards seem to solve this shutdown issue by deactivating Erp Mode in the Bios.
other seem to solve Kernel-Power 41 error by removing power saving options, and sleep mode on harddrive and such.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok i did a quick search, some ppl with similar problem and with Gigabyte motherboards seem to solve this shutdown issue by deactivating Erp Mode in the Bios.
other seem to solve Kernel-Power 41 error by removing power saving options, and sleep mode on harddrive and such.

Thanks for looking! ERP seems to be disabled by default in the BIOS though. And power saving is already turned off.

Associate
Have you tried changing the AMD drivers for older versions?

I seem to have to roll back to Crimson 15.11 to get my XFX nano to work on my GA-Z87X-UD4H without locking up.

Its been crunching happily for the last 24hr.

Associate
OP
Have you tried changing the AMD drivers for older versions?

I seem to have to roll back to Crimson 15.11 to get my XFX nano to work on my GA-Z87X-UD4H without locking up.

Its been crunching happily for the last 24hr.

Oh really? Interesting. I'll give that a go now then. I'd only tried the latest drivers up until now.

Soldato
The gpu will draw more power when you play a 3D game hence why I suspect psu.
An old psu can have issues such as excess voltage rail ripple even if some things work fine. How old is it?

Associate
OP
The gpu will draw more power when you play a 3D game hence why I suspect psu.
An old psu can have issues such as excess voltage rail ripple even if some things work fine. How old is it?

Errr, 3 years I think. If it was the power supply though I don't understand why my R9 280x would work fine - especially as it uses more power under load.

Tried the older drivers and the same problem anyway.

Back
Top Bottom