HP Microserver Hibernate

Associate
Hi All,

Have a quick question for all y'all.

On a quest to save power and to try and preserve my hard disks (2x3TB WD Green), I've scheduled my HP MicroServer to hibernate from 00:00 - 15:00 for when I get home.

It's currently running Windows 2012 (yes I know servers aren't supposed to go to sleep/hibernate) but is this going to cause any system/hardware related problems.

I've not ran into any problems as of yet and as far as I'm aware it shouldn't cause any issues but I thought I'd double check.

Soldato
Hi All,

Have a quick question for all y'all.

On a quest to save power and to try and preserve my hard disks (2x3TB WD Green), I've scheduled my HP MicroServer to hibernate from 00:00 - 15:00 for when I get home.

It's currently running Windows 2012 (yes I know servers aren't supposed to go to sleep/hibernate) but is this going to cause any system/hardware related problems.

I've not ran into any problems as of yet and as far as I'm aware it shouldn't cause any issues but I thought I'd double check.

Something similar iv done with my Microserver is it hibernates all week and turns on friday night through to monday 6am. All backups are done within that time period across multiple devices
No known sideeffects..

Associate
I have lightsout installed on my server, sleeps when all pc's are off & resumes when I turn any of them back on. It's also setup to resume at 03:00 and run backups across the network, waking each machine up. Never really had a problem with it.
That's with 3x 2TB WD greens, 2x 2TB WD reds, 2x 160GB WD blacks & 1x 1TB external drive attached.

Soldato
Sorry to be a bit dense. I can put my (Windows 7) microserver into hibernation (e.g. from the Remote iLo console), and then return to the logon by "momentarily pushing the power button" from iLO. Not sure how I can time this operation, e.g. to be on for just evenings, rest of time in hibernation?

Can you advise please?

Associate
OP
To enable hibernation you need to run;

powercfg.exe /hibernate on

Then setup a scheduled task to run when ever you want it to go to sleep. You can tell it to run a VBS, Batch file etc... or just give the task the command line;

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /h

Then create another task to run any application you want (at the desired time). I just tell it to run a blank batch file. Make sure you tick "wake the computer to run this task".

For both tasks you also need "run whether user is logged on or not".

The PC won't wake up at exactly the time you want as it takes a few minutes to start, for mine I set it to wake at 15:00 and it usually comes online at about 15:02.

Associate
https://www.green-it-software.com/lights-out/

fantastic piece of software for automating sleeping and waking up your server

Seconded, a great piece of software.

My only problem with it is that I can seem to get it to wake up via the network. I've got a couple of VMs pointing to it for storage, but they cant seem to wake it from sleep leading to failed transfers and errors. Works fine when all machines are active, but as the VMs are on 24/7 and linux I can't use them with the connector.

Soldato
Will that software enable sleep on the gen 8 microserver? I've installed windows 10 on one of my spare ones but I dont have any sleep options.

Associate
OP
To enable hibernation you need to run;

powercfg.exe /hibernate on

Then setup a scheduled task to run when ever you want it to go to sleep. You can tell it to run a VBS, Batch file etc... or just give the task the command line;

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /h

Then create another task to run any application you want (at the desired time). I just tell it to run a blank batch file. Make sure you tick "wake the computer to run this task".

For both tasks you also need "run whether user is logged on or not".

The PC won't wake up at exactly the time you want as it takes a few minutes to start, for mine I set it to wake at 15:00 and it usually comes online at about 15:02.

Soldato
I keep mine off and, like Unicorn, turn it on over the weekend. A scheduled task on my desktop PC sends it a WOL instruction 15 minutes before the backups start. Another task wakes it on the last day of the month for the backup EOM cleanup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom