**Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server - Owner Thread**

Associate
My setup has now been running well for 6months since setup.

Love the machine, Very very quiet, Only noise is if a download happens over night the hdd's kick on so you can hear them slightly.

Although my RAID (mdadm) is at 96% usage, Not looking forward to adding another drive to that possibly take days to rebuild.

I use CoreOS for my OS, This allows me to run docker vms inside so i can just run what ever i want works really well. CoreOS comes with the mdadm pre-installed for software RAID also.

Soldato
If I can ask further detail then, can you tell me how you've got your drives setup?

I take it there's no hardward raid, so do you have just a bunch of disks and let ESXi handle it?

That's exactly how I set it up. I've got no data that needs to be backed up so I'm not bothered about data loss.

Associate
I'm thinking of moving to one of these from a WD Mycloud.

Is it possible to remotely upload photos to this server like using the WD app for the Mycloud NAS?

Associate
I'm thinking of moving to one of these from a WD Mycloud.

Is it possible to remotely upload photos to this server like using the WD app for the Mycloud NAS?

Of course, but it would need something like DropBox to facilitate. Or a pant load of messing around otherwise.

Depends massively of course on what OS you put on it for starters.

Associate
Contemplating replacing my N54L with one of these. How much faster is the Xeon version and is it worth the extra money? The main constraint with my N54L is the CPU of course. It's currently running Solaris 11 with four WD Red 3TB, two 40GB 2.5", a cut-down dual gigabit NIC and a M1015 HBA.

I've had a look around for deals on the T20 Xeon - best i've found so far is £319 inc VAT with £110 cashback. Anywhere cheaper?

Also, does anyone know what the typical power consumption is (at idle) of a T20 (either version) compared to an N54L?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom