Cisco MDS 9000 Series Help

Associate
Does anyone work with these switches? I'm trying to enable NPIV but the only info I can find is to run the following

switch(config)# feature npiv

Is this the only thing that needs to be done or is there something I need to do at the interface level?

When I scan from a VIO server I'm just getting the following response

System doesn't have NPIV capable ports or no NPIV ports with the link up.

Soldato
Use them myself (Mixture of 9148s and 9124e). Don't use NPIV though.

feature npiv will however enable the features (providing its licensed) but in order to actually enable it you need to do an npv enable which write-erases the unit and reboots it to get it working. Theres loads of documentation around it, probably best to read up

- GP

Associate
OP
Use them myself (Mixture of 9148s and 9124e). Don't use NPIV though.

feature npiv will however enable the features (providing its licensed) but in order to actually enable it you need to do an npv enable which write-erases the unit and reboots it to get it working. Theres loads of documentation around it, probably best to read up

- GP

This is where it doesn't make sense to me I can see lots of mention of NPV within documents that also relate to NPIV but as I understand it they aren't the same thing and don't serve the same purpose.

Soldato
NPIV essentially allows an F port to host multiple FCIDs, so hides whats behind it. NPV masks the switch making it transparent and passing things like FLOGI upstream. What you set up would I guess depend on what exactly you're trying to do

- GP

Back
Top Bottom