The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well, I have been using a Gillete Fusion for years now, probably since I started shaving...

When I first started to shave(years and years ago) my skin never really used to get irritated, I would just shave normally and apply some Nivea balm after and hey presto no rash or uncomfortable feeling.

Fast forward to now, Shaving with the same Fusion(not the same blade:rolleyes:) and applying aftershave balm just doesn't cut it anymore.

Firstly, my stubble is so tough I have to make multiple passes over most areas which I think irritates some areas of my skin and secondly I'm never able to achieve a close shave at all. I use the Gillete Fusion gel, is this stuff generally crap?

Usually in the same area on my neck, where the stubble seems to grow back the next day, I get a rash which isn't very comfortable...

My method of shaving is.....:
-(sometimes) wash face with a facial scrub and hot/warm water
-apply gel
-shave(I try not to go against the direction of the stubble)
-wash face with cold water
-apply balm

Any tips on what I can do...I was thinking of ditching the Fusion and trying some bog standard disposables(recommend me some?)...if you have any suggestions to products or methods I can try please post!

Thanks

Soldato
Ditch the disposable and go for a DE safety razor, such as a Merkur. It won't irritate your skin at all unless you use it incorrectly.

Soldato
OP
It sounds like your stubble is too extreme for a regular razor; you need to upgrade to the Gillette Fusion Gamer Power Razor.

Noo...more money on expensive blades!:(

Ditch the disposable and go for a DE safety razor, such as a Merkur. It won't irritate your skin at all unless you use it incorrectly.

I don't use a disposable, I have a Gillete Fusion...;)

I was thinking, sometimes I don't shave for a while, and my stubble becomes quite long making it harder to shave. Do you think shaving more frequently will stop the irritation or help it?

Soldato
Soldato
I find I get the best shave if I wash with really hot water and try and give my face a good soak with a face cloth!

If I don't do this then I get a bit of irritation.

Soldato
worth it when you consider the price of the blades - £4 for 10 or cheaper - and especially when you consider those blades last longer then the rip off fusion blades. They really dont compare to a decent saftey razor like a merkur

Associate
i shave every 3 days as no matter what i do (I'm not gonna spend loads of cash on an expensive razor!) i get an irritation from the razor. i tend to wash face with some decent facewash and hot water, then dry it, then wet it again with hot water, apply foam and shave. i used to use the king of shaves gel but i found i started to get irritation again so i switched to that nivea foam stuff. i don't find i need to stick balm afterwards as i get no irritation.

Soldato
i shave every 3 days as no matter what i do (I'm not gonna spend loads of cash on an expensive razor!)

They arent expensive though. The razors might be 4 times the price but the blades are less than 1/4 the price of the fusions for example. they are absolutely worth it!

£4.50 for a pack of ten blades? http://www.mankind.co.uk/src/awin/Merkur-Stainless-Platinum-Safety-Razor-Blades-10-Pack-PRODMEAC1/ 45p a blade. Whats the average price for 8 fusion blades? The dont shave as well or last as long!

Last edited:
Soldato
Decent and cheap Merkur razor:

http://connaughtshaving.com/merkur33c.html

Buy that and 5 each of Feather, Wilkinson Sword and Derby blades and whatever else takes your fancy, a cheapish brush and some soap/cream. Hell, even some gel from the supermarket will do without a brush, and you'll not look back.

I have the above razor, and it's brilliant if a little short. Doesn't take long to get used to it though, and it's just as quick for me to shave with that as a regular (crap) razor. A much closer shave with no razor burn whatsoever.

Avoid Gillette blades like the plague, and you'll be fine.

You do NOT have to spend a fortune on shaving gear to get much better results. A Gillette/WS cartridge razor 'Ultra Plus With Extra Fanny Magnet Titanium Ultra Sport GTX' is about 6 quid with a blade. 5 blades another 8 quids on top. That £19 Merkur razor + 100 Feather blades (the very sharpest and by far the best) blades will be about £40. You do the mathematical calculations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom