Toshiba Hard Drives

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that they weren't one to completely avoid. I'm aware Toshiba are reputable, but so are (were?) Seagate and I've read a lot about the failure rate of some of their recent drives.

Don
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that they weren't one to completely avoid. I'm aware Toshiba are reputable, but so are (were?) Seagate and I've read a lot about the failure rate of some of their recent drives.

Personally think the Seagate reputation is undeserved - sure there may have been a specific generation that was bad, but it has happened to all hard drive manufacturers at one time or another (e.g. IBM "Deathstars", IBM's hard drive division now belonging essentially to Toshiba :) )

At work we use hard drives from all 3 current manufacturers (e.g. our HP desktops are supplied with a mix of drives), and failure rates are more or less identical in the desktop environment. Historically we have had drives from Samsung, Maxtor, Excelstor and Fujitsu, and again from a desktop point of view, have never seen any noticeable difference in failure rates.

Associate
I have used nothing but Toshiba drives for years, they are cheap and importantly almost silent [ cue complaints of wining tosh drives]. I recently made the mistake of getting a WD 3TB Black as i needed more space for my Steam games and the thing was the loudest hard drive I have ever heard, I put a 3tb Toshiba in its place and can hardly hear it at all. Dam site cheaper as well.
P.S. did i mention that Toshiba drives are cheap?

Soldato
Have 4 3Tb drives for my nas/server box as the price is somewhat better than others.

Cant fault them tbh, only had them 8ish month though so cant comment on reliability yet. There on 24/7 and like others have said, They are quiet for mechanical drives

Soldato
Have 3 TOSHIBA DT01ACA3 3TB drives for over 2 years now all still running perfectly fine.

Power on times 19166 - 19936 hours

Just more recently my work PC had a Toshiba X300 6TB & Toshiba P300 3TB that work really well so far.

Back
Top Bottom