*** The official Asus ROG Swift PG348Q 34" ultra-wide thread ***

Soldato
Can the ASUS logo be turned off? Will really annoy me seeing that and will be the deciding factor between that and the X34.

Been waiting for this panel so glad to see positive comments. Going through the process of selling off my LG monitor. Amusingly the exact same panel as this one and the ACER lol, but G-Sync and higher refresh rate are too appealing.

Associate
Can the ASUS logo be turned off? Will really annoy me seeing that and will be the deciding factor between that and the X34.

Been waiting for this panel so glad to see positive comments. Going through the process of selling off my LG monitor. Amusingly the exact same panel as this one and the ACER lol, but G-Sync and higher refresh rate are too appealing.

You could use some black electrical tape to hide the ASUS logo at the bottom if you really wanted to?

Associate
OP

Do you mean the red logo "hologram" thing at the bottom? Yes that can be turned off, was actually off by default and there are 3 or 4 different intensity settings

Soldato
Do you mean the red logo "hologram" thing at the bottom? Yes that can be turned off, was actually off by default and there are 3 or 4 different intensity settings

Yep the Hologram. Thanks for the info. Will hopefully have sold current panel before I get this one. Can't wait now:D

Soldato
Just read your specs Radox, three titan x's.. man thats nuts, fair play! I thought my three 980s were silly!

Pretty sure you know how it goes, start with 1, go to a sensible 2, 3 piped my curiosity. Thankfully can't fit number four in my case :D

Anyway please do share how the experience is with it. Will pre-order one as soon as this current panel is gone. Admittedly a slight shame Nvidia have not sorted out the part of not being able to use SLI + G-SYNC + DSR together. Would have been great on this panel.

Associate
Looks great
Any chance you could put up a desktop view with folder to see scale?
really tempted, for some development as well as for games...

Associate
No scan lines at all on mine - it was the main reason my x34 went back and was the first thing I looked for on this one

You got lucky then. Already a few users on overclock.net have reported scanlines with this monitor.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1581544/asus-rog-swift-pg348q-worth-waiting-for/830#post_24889144
http://www.overclock.net/t/1581544/asus-rog-swift-pg348q-worth-waiting-for/760#post_24886515

It seems the PG348Q has no gamma adjustment either, ridiculous on a $1300 monitor. The X34 had it, and so have all other monitors based on this LG panel, so no idea why they removed that. Gamma adjustment is a pretty big deal to me so that alone makes the X34 a better buy.

The only pros of the PG348Q I see: swivel stand adjustment and better OSD menu options. Possibly better chance of getting a unit that does 100 Hz as well based on early reports but I'd say there's not a big enough sample size yet. Plenty of X34s do 100 Hz fine as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone running one of these on a single 980Ti or is it SLI territory only?

Depends what you play. But 980Ti is similar performance to my setup and majority of games are fine with 100Hz. With the most demanding ones such as Crisis 3 and Fallout 4 you won't always get 100Hz but G-Sync helps a lot and it's smooth when using GeForce Experience to choose optimal settings for you.

Associate
OP
OK guys, I've put the monitor through its paces this weekend, if you can't be bothered to read it all, end of the day it's awesome, buy one! Oh and don't fiddle with NV inspector settings!

Bit of a background, I had the x34 and it went back, mainly due to g-sync scan lines - games used to test at the time and were affected were Tomb Raider 2013, Alien Isolation and Dying Light. For some reason I couldn't see any issues with Elite, Rust, ARK or Act of Aggression, probably because Elite is dark and the others are low FPS. Other problems were coil whine, IPS glow and disappointment with general build quality.

OK so my point is I've been pretty anal with testing this thing, particularly the g-sync flicker.

I spent most of Sat basically trying to look for problems. First of all, I set up the same as was on the x34 test by setting the fps cap to 95 in NV inspector and v-sync to force off (more on this later) as this should force g-sync to engage. I turned on the monitors inbuilt fps counter to compare to steams - with g-sync is on, the two should...well.. sync and both read 95!

No flickering at all in Alien and DL, BUT TR 2013 DID flicker and took me ages to figure out why - unlike the other two, this has an in-game monitor refresh rate setting which I also set at 95hz. I eventually realised this sets the MONITOR speed, not the graphics card (and should have been left at 100). With no difference between the two values and with v-sync off, if the g-card fps were to exceed the monitor by a slight amount, I simply wouldn’t notice. Either upping the in-game refresh rate, or lowering the NV cap to increase the distance between the two values solved it. I then spent ages trying to recreate the flickering with other settings and other games with no success under the cap and then purposely allowed the g-card fps to exceed the monitor which induced flicker - so I proved the statement from Nvidia's website the long winded way that turning v-sync off and allowing the refresh rate to exceed the monitor's will induce flicker.

I then experimented turning g-sync on and off and here’s the interesting thing. In NV inspector, the default setting for v-sync is "3D application settings", BUT turning g-sync on overrides this to "force ON". I've since concluded that this is for good reason (from above), the v-sync is basically acting as an fps cap for g-sync and I'm pretty certain even at max, it's g-syncing, not v. Cut a long story short, don't faff about with fps caps etc, just stick to the defaults!

To further prove there was no flicker and this wasn't just v-sync masking it all (I still wasn't settled in my head!), I set fps caps to 60-80 fps with no problems in multiple games. I then removed the fps cap (so everything back to default, remember v-sync is still force on), but then disabled SLI so games ran at roughly the same rate, again, no problems, smooth as butter!

I then played MGS V pretty much all day Sun, even with SLI on, this game ran at around 66-100hz all the time, pretty much sitting at about 80 and rarely hitting 100hz. Therefore, g-sync was constantly on - no flickering at all! Turning g-sync off, god WHAT A DIFFERENCE! You don't realise it until it's not there!

The IPS glow isn't a problem, even on dark games like Elite and Alien, I would only notice it on loading screens and when I purposely looked for it.

No coil whine at all, running at 70% brightness for a good 8-10 hours constant

Basically chaps, in my experience this is a cracking screen!

EDIT:

Some more pics
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160212_214343_zpshnxlpwps.jpg
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160212_212618_zps3mua2utk.jpg
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/hadri1983/20160212_212608_zpswcpgb4sw.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom