Can some builders/experts review my extension and quote?

Soldato
OP
Yes skips are on the road, no front garden remember :p.

To picture it a bit better, you can see the side return space below along with the adjoining window and room that that access will be through.

qUQsVGH.jpg

FjdeFrC.jpg

Soldato
Does he have a retention sum? Normally we have 5% retention on all the payments, then once the work is complete the contractor gets half of it and you keep 2.5% to cover the snagging and then pay it after 6 months, always encourages them to come back if you still have some dosh!

Associate
I did an extension on my house a few years back and had similar issues to you with lack of access.

I'm surprised you have many builders that will take on the job, as soon as they realised the job needed hand dug foundations most builders that turned up to quote us decided it wasn't a job they wanted.

Last edited:
Associate
We had a very similar outdoor space in our old flat which we had work on. We redid the drainage, new damp proof course all around with proper drainage channels (not just a cheap chemical injection), patio and painting which came to £5k so seems quite decent.

Our builder filled 3 skips of earth & rubbish before being able to fill it back in.

Soldato
Had my extension done earlier this year. Removed a 3mx3m conservatory to the tip, then had the foundation to remove (3ft thick slab) and then foundations dug for a 4mx7m extension, needed 9 (8yd) skips for that little lot, all standard soil/rubble so got the skips for £170 each with no need for on street parking.

Is he 100% certain he cant get a micro through?

Its been some time since I worked for toolhire company but when I was there I am sure they had machines designed to fit through a standard doorway.

IIRC the smallest models were walk behind, a micro digger and micro dumper

I wouldnt be wanting to take them through a nicely decorated home, but if its work in progress you may be ok.

Looking at your pics some look narrow but that could be camera as opposed to actual width

Here found this for you, he wont own one but surely could rent one
Both digger and loader fit through a normal doorway
Its better than digging by hand

http://www.rent-this-digger.co.uk/

Tea Drinker
Don
A small machine won't be much use at breaking out that slab. By the time it's all broken out and removed there's probably only a small footing to dig, probably a days work for one man. It took us a weekend to dig a double garage footing by hand 900mm deep and load into skips.

Soldato
OP
I'm not 100% sure on the definition of a cavity wall. I assume it means there's a hollow cavity in the middle? Either way the rear wall (large window) is stone (that wall is about 16-17" thick), as is the left wall up to that height and then single skin brick. The right hand wall is brick also but from the ground up.

Associate
I'm not 100% sure on the definition of a cavity wall. I assume it means there's a hollow cavity in the middle? Either way the rear wall (large window) is stone (that wall is about 16-17" thick), as is the left wall up to that height and then single skin brick. The right hand wall is brick also but from the ground up.

Best check with the builder as too how he is going to support the stone wall as I dont think acrow props and strongboys are up to the job.

Soldato
You want recommendations of builders who do a good job and see examples of their recent work. I think that is more important than just a builder who can supply the most detailed/professional looking quote.

Soldato
OP
You want recommendations of builders who do a good job and see examples of their recent work. I think that is more important than just a builder who can supply the most detailed/professional looking quote.

Don't exist unfortunately. Neither of us are from Bristol originally so have no family here and nobody we know has had an extension. Those few people that have used someone that also does extension work wouldn't recommend them.

But yeah, it's what we tried a year ago when we were getting rough quotes and between now and then we still have't been able to get any recommendations.

Soldato
Don't exist unfortunately. Neither of us are from Bristol originally so have no family here and nobody we know has had an extension. Those few people that have used someone that also does extension work wouldn't recommend them.

But yeah, it's what we tried a year ago when we were getting rough quotes and between now and then we still have't been able to get any recommendations.

you should still ask the contractor if you can visit a recent project, just for piece of mind, a good contractor will have no issue with that

Soldato
OP
Just for some closure, I've decided to go with the builder who provided the quote in the OP. He seems extremely good, professional and open to ideas. He's managed to get the steel for cost so the total quote is £27,464.

Still pricey but house prices are still rocketing so no doubt we'll get a return on that. And either way the current kitchen is totally unworkable so it's a necessity!

He's on holiday at the moment but it'll hopefully start in early March. Eek!

Soldato
well done, we are having a loft conversion done at present, it does affect your life so be prepared for that. Still as you say if it suits you, even if you dont get 100% back on the cost its still worth it if you will get the use of it etc

Permabanned
Seems a lot of money and I'm unsure if the outlay will match the value you are adding to your property. Not being flippant but why not use the £30k on moving to a better house?

Soldato
OP
Seems a lot of money and I'm unsure if the outlay will match the value you are adding to your property. Not being flippant but why not use the £30k on moving to a better house?

Appreciate the advice but you're also making quite informed suggestions with no information. An extra £30k would get us a worse house, for a start.

Back
Top Bottom