Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Me too TBH. I think it is great that you can return something if it doesn't fit but seeing how people buy half a dozen different things with the intention of only keeping one I wonder how many times a piece of clothing can go through the system before you end up with it :eek:

Not an issue really, I've had obviously opened garments from Wiggle before (including shorts) and I'm always sure to give them a thorough going over before I'm happy! Free returns for a reason! ;)

Cheapest place to get some legit Shimano 6800 gear cables and housing?
Tried using lifeline essential (fine with my 5800), but cannot get smooth shifting across the cog with this....buy cheap, buy twice.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-road-gear-cable-set-with-sst-inner-wire/ ?

Although I'm pretty sure the Jagwire kit I picked up from Amazon (someone here linked) was only £15-16 and came with all (gear & brake) cables. It came with enough outers that have lasted me 3-4 cable changes (tons of end caps & plastic caps too) and I've been using shimano or lifeline cables with it fine.

If you've got a housing cutter it's loads cheaper to buy them by the meter...

Shimano gear outers, £2.99 a meter
Shimano gear cables £3.99
Shimano brake outers, £2.49 a meter
Shimano road steel brake cable £1.99
Shimano road stainless steel brake cable £2.49

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheapest place to get some legit Shimano 6800 gear cables and housing?
Tried using lifeline essential (fine with my 5800), but cannot get smooth shifting across the cog with this....buy cheap, buy twice.

Get a jagwire kit from ebay, all about the outers.

How long do you wear them for after riding? Does it make a difference? Is that what you were waiting for :p

I will usually wear the tights overnight after a TT, or for rest of the day if I feel I need to after a punishing longer ride. Don't think there is any guidelines.

Think they do make a difference, but it all might be in my head.

Also what Roady said about clothing, at the end of the day I'll give it a wash before wearing. Just spent £550 this morning and will probably return 2/3rds as all just duplicates of items. (shorts/gloves/arm and leg warmers)

Soldato
Just spent £550 this morning and will probably return 2/3rds as all just duplicates of items. (shorts/gloves/arm and leg warmers)

Interested to hear what leg/knee warmers you're trying mate and how you find them. I've worn my Sportful NoRain knee warmers so much they're starting to get a bit stretched and probably need replacing... Will probably go Nanoflex but maybe tempted by the DHB's when/if they go on a good sale (doubtful as they're still 'new'...)

Bits for my bike build is starting to come in :D

*drool*

Always loved the Propel frame, it's just the brakes which have always put me off...!

Let us know how you get on with the Red eTap - probably the only electronic groupset (excluding Di2) that most of us will see... Always thought the retail price was very good considering the wireless aspect! Maybe one day...! ;)

EDIT: Cali - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-road-and-mtb-brake-cable-set/ not a bad price, not sure compared to the other one I linked how good the outers are, or how long... Also I quote 'Brake cables can make a big difference to the way your brakes feel' :D :D :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I know the old wise heads will have learnt this years ago, but I am totally in love with my merino wool jersey. It keeps me toasty in 0-2 degrees when I used to have to layer up, and then still works on the 6-8 degree ride home. Wonderful stuff and it doesn't get smelly! Not sure how I coped in the past

Soldato
*drool*

Always loved the Propel frame, it's just the brakes which have always put me off...!

Have you test ridden a Propel? I thought the same until I tried one, I liked the brakes when I rode it. For reference I am use to 105 5800 brakes. I enjoyed the bike that much I got myself one too last week, I went for the 2015 Propel Advanced Pro 2 which was on big discount (£800 off!). At the weekend I will get round to getting some photos.

Bear,

Loving the Propel there, will be an awesome bike when built. What wheels are going on it?

Soldato
I know the old wise heads will have learnt this years ago, but I am totally in love with my merino wool jersey. It keeps me toasty in 0-2 degrees when I used to have to layer up, and then still works on the 6-8 degree ride home. Wonderful stuff and it doesn't get smelly! Not sure how I coped in the past

Should try some socks...!

I've fallen in love with the PX 'Thicky' merino ones so much I now own 15 pairs and wear them as every day socks (not just for cycling)! ;)

EDIT: Lol just been asked to see if I can repair a printer... A HP Laserjet 4L with a manufacture date of September 1993...! I'd only just started high school when this thing was made! :o :rolleyes:

Have you test ridden a Propel? I thought the same until I tried one, I liked the brakes when I rode it. For reference I am use to 105 5800 brakes.

Nope not ridden one... I was more concerned over the look and getting parts for them rather than actual use. Use 5800 here too. I actually want to move away from Giant for my next bike as although I'm not disappointed with my Defy 1 2015 I've had things wear out which probably shouldn't have on a £900 bike. Wheels, BB, headset bearings, calipers & hanger all needed replacing in under 4000 miles.

Last edited:
Soldato

Have to agree, my merino base layer is awesome, and longing for the Aldi sale to come back round to grab 4-5 more! They're great, I have a rapha merino jersey but haven't ever wore it for cycling, more a casual jumper so may have to give it a try!

Speaking of BL's, I bought 3 of these layers from decathlon to try find a cheaper alternative, have been using them for commuting this week. I find them to be not as breathable as merino would be (that's a given) but they have kept the sweat off me and kept me fairly warm.

For my short commutes between stations, they have done the job, but need to give them a proper few weeks to see if I really like them or not. :)

Soldato
Not doing things by half then Bear.

:D

*drool*

Let us know how you get on with the Red eTap - probably the only electronic groupset (excluding Di2) that most of us will see... Always thought the retail price was very good considering the wireless aspect! Maybe one day...! ;)

I was worried about the brakes too I have to admit, but after some research I found out they updated them and it was a big improvement but if I don't like them I will buy a set of Fouriers. Apparently it sorts it all out.

Will do, I hopefully won't get too confused as my Gran Fondo has Di2 so swapping between the two could be amusing. I'm sure it will be ok :o

Bear,
Loving the Propel there, will be an awesome bike when built. What wheels are going on it?

Thanks, I haven't decided yet, looking at Zipp 404 or Reynolds Strike/Assault.

Soldato
Interested to hear what leg/knee warmers you're trying mate and how you find them. I've worn my Sportful NoRain knee warmers so much they're starting to get a bit stretched and probably need replacing... Will probably go Nanoflex but maybe tempted by the DHB's when/if they go on a good sale (doubtful as they're still 'new'...)

Same here. Interested in what knee warmers you bought.

Looking at the Sportful NoRain or the Castelli Nanoflex.

Soldato
Have to agree, my merino base layer is awesome, and longing for the Aldi sale to come back round to grab 4-5 more! They're great, I have a rapha merino jersey but haven't ever wore it for cycling, more a casual jumper so may have to give it a try!

The only bad thing is that I found my top scratchy for the first few rides / washes and even now I wouldn't call my top"soft".

Soldato
Thanks SoliD/kiteloopy. Ordered a pair of the Sub Sports tights, hopefully they fit the bill. Anything that helps with recovery is good, plus got a couple of potentially dodgy varicose veins on the horizon so hoping they will help prevent those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom