X99 Gaming Build - Requesting Opinions

Soldato
I've got the CPU decided, and just looking for opinions on the MoBo and RAM. I'd like the board to facilitate 2-way SLI on slots 1 and 3 for maximum heat spacing. I believe if they both run at x8 then that's fine, as in there's no real need for them to be running at x16 on 1 and 3?

For the RAM, I'm looking for the best for gaming (not really sure what that currently is). Could probably do with a choice between the best there is in general, and the best there is in terms of bang for buck?

So far, I'm looking at :

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £565.48
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Yup, you're right. Hadn't read that far down the spec list..

I think the motherboard you've picked is a good choice considering your needs, when it comes back in stock.

As for the RAM question in your opening post, go for a 2400 kit you like the look of. There's really no real world benefit in going for a faster set.

Soldato
If you're only going to do 2 way SLI / XF with air cooling, try to have the PCIe x16 slots as slots 2 and 5 (slot 1 being a x1 slot); if 3 way, slots 2, 5, and 8. That way you can have a bigger CPU cooler (which may impinge on slot 1) and there will be air gaps between your GPUs.

Soldato
OP
The MSI MoBo boasts the following :

Delivering speeds up to 32Gb/s using Gen3 x4, Turbo M.2 is more than 5 times faster than a regular SATA III connection! Enjoy a blazing fast system boot up and insanely fast loading of applications and games with MSI motherboards.

What SSD would I use for that? I don't really understand the M2 tech. :confused:

Associate
You used 8*4? Which type?

Yeah, I have an Asus X99 Pro with 8 slots.

I went with these (x2), it suited my white and black build and the performance is great for the price.

Quick money shot!
12662432_10154064700167189_8180653398410800678_n.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, I have an Asus X99 Pro with 8 slots.

I went with these (x2), it suited my white and black build and the performance is great for the price.

Quick money shot!
** Image removed from quote **

I have spec'd the same amount but 4*8GB sticks. Works out almost £50 less... and leaves room for when 64GB of RAM is being utilised (probably the next Assassins Creed offering :p )

I take it I would be loading up one set of 4 on say the right hans side, with the left hans side empty? I see what you mean by OCD... that just won't look right!

Associate
Depends on your motherboard but usually the slots are numbered, look in the manual and it will tell you the optimum slots to use if not using all available slots! On mine for example (Going from memory here) - you would put 2 slots in the left hand side, 2 in the right if you were using 4*8GB.

Thanks - I've not OC'ed yet as the build is still new so I'm bedding it in. Within the coming weeks I'll apply a mild OC (I'm running an i7 5930K)

If I were going to OC, I would put the CPU under some kind of water, I guess it depends on personal preference and how comfortable you are in terms of temps, I prefer low temps (don't we all!) - The X99 is a big chip, I don't have any experience with air coolers on this chip but I personally wouldn't even consider it if I were going to do any form of OC.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Depends on your motherboard but usually the slots are numbered, look in the manual and it will tell you the optimum slots to use if not using all available slots! On mine for example (Going from memory here) - you would put 2 slots in the left hand side, 2 in the right if you were using 4*8GB.

That's not so bad. I just noticed the timings are tighter on the 8GB sticks, so that would probably sway me too.

Associate
Does the ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 support that Samsung M.2 drive at the rated speed?

Having looked at the Rampage, it supports the SLI config of x16/x16 on slots 1 and 3.

It does, yes BUT what CPU are you planning on running? An -i7 5820K will support a maximum of 28 lanes, so if you're planning on using m.2 and SLI, think again - to get full speed for everything you'd need a minimum of an -i7 5930K as that can support up to 40 PCIE lanes.

Each GPU will take 16 lanes (Or will try to)
M.2 at full speed will need 4 lanes.

Soldato
OP
It does, yes BUT what CPU are you planning on running? An -i7 5820K will support a maximum of 28 lanes, so if you're planning on using m.2 and SLI, think again - to get full speed for everything you'd need a minimum of an -i7 5930K as that can support up to 40 PCIE lanes.

Each GPU will take 16 lanes (Or will try to)
M.2 at full speed will need 4 lanes.

Yep, going to upgrade the CPU as I had noticed the lane restriction.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom