6gb to 8gb/12gb Ram

Soldato
I currently have a ex58-ud3r Mother board and would like to upgrade the Ram.

As its DDR3 triple channel what would be the best way to go about this?

Currently running 3x2gb

I had X58 and 3x2GB 1600 and added 3x4GB 1600 to it and it just worked fine. Triple channel.

Associate
OP
Would it be possible to just add 4gb to the 4th slot?

Getting triple channel Ram seems harder to do etc.

Or remove one 2gb and have 2x4gb and 2x2gb - giving 12gb in total.

Or do i need to stick with 3 sticks.

Soldato
Would it be possible to just add 4gb to the 4th slot?

Getting triple channel Ram seems harder to do etc.

Or remove one 2gb and have 2x4gb and 2x2gb - giving 12gb in total.

Or do i need to stick with 3 sticks.

All of these combinations are also possible. Triple channel itself is rather irrelevant. There were benchmarks that on X58 it's like less than 0.5% difference compared to dual channel.

So just do as it feels right and all will be the same. I'd personally do whatever combination that leaves me with most RAM.

Associate
OP
All of these combinations are also possible. Triple channel itself is rather irrelevant. There were benchmarks that on X58 it's like less than 0.5% difference compared to dual channel.

So just do as it feels right and all will be the same. I'd personally do whatever combination that leaves me with most RAM.

thanks - i think i'll replace one of the 2gb sticks with a 4gb and then add another giving me 12gb total.

Does it matter about ram speeds etc?

Soldato
thanks - i think i'll replace one of the 2gb sticks with a 4gb and then add another giving me 12gb total.

Does it matter about ram speeds etc?

No they all probably run at the speed of the slowest. Just get something that matches speed your current RAM, or get the cheapest.

Back
Top Bottom