Faulty ram or timings?

Soldato
Working on a computer with ddr2 memory, it's an old Packard bell I media type, the board supports 4gb ddr2 at PC 4200, however I tested a 1gb 800mhz to run mix long side 512mb of 533 and it works, system shows 1.50gb.

However as mixing ram like that isn't really practical I went and purchased a 2gb 800mhz stick of different brand and a identical 1gb 800mhz to the one I got in the system already and I think this 2nd 1gb is trash as it beeps long and fast on its own so guess I'll have to return it, so I tried the 2gb and that did the same on its own though had a constant fan noise with no activity swapping slots so I put the 512mb in with it and it booted, but then i get a blue Windows 10 crash screen so something is wrong and checking bios it only showed 2gb not 2.5 and seems no dram adjustment option, so now I've put back the working 1gb 800mhz stick and the 512mb and works as it did.

I was hoping to get 2.5 or 3gb for a more appealing sale, but unless I'm missing something I guess I'll have to return them yeah?

Soldato
OP
Quick update!! the 2gb and 1gb sticks I got earlier do infact work....... But in my dell :rolleyes: which is good for me as my dell is maxed out at 4gb, but mix ram aswell as I only had 2x512 533mhz available for it.

So I guess we can establish its either the motherboard in the Packard not liking more than 1.5gb or some bios update is needed ?????????.

gigabyte ga 8trc410mnf rh is what's inside and has limited bios options compared to my optiplex.

Back
Top Bottom