Supplements - do you take any daily?

Associate
If you take supplements, doesn't your body adapt and they slowly become ineffective? A bit like a lot of medications? Hayfever relief tablets for example get less and less effective, as do antidepressants like Citalopram etc.

Yes and No but what a lot of people do not understand is with these multi vitamins they can cancel each other out and you either build up too much in some of them with others wasted being released in urine/stools.

The medications you mentioned work in different way.

There is no need for multi vitamins for normal healthy people.

If you need to take something you take the ones you may need like say you coming down with a cold so you boost up to help but not too much

The only people that really need to take large amounts are ones that have health issues.

The other thing is a lot of vitamins take about 3 months to show real effect so if someone say takes only vitamin d for few months classed as winter that is wrong you take it before winter this is one which in this country a lot of people could do with taking all the time.

A fair amount of people may not even know they are taking too much you can overdose on vitamins it just doesn't tend to kill you quickly but it does damaged like you hear when the stories say causes cancer so on this is due to long term build up.

Younger people that are healthy just eat a correct diet you will be fine it will provide almost everything you need.

Last edited:
Soldato
Creatine
Whey Protein
BCAA
Glutamine
Beta-Alanine
Cod liver oil
Magnesium
Calcium

^^^^Juice head! :p

I want to know what all you people are supplementing ? :confused:

You eat a balanced diet, the should be no need at all for supplements unless you ill and have a deficiency.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Eye supplement?

I take a B12 spray, thats it. Everything else wreaks havoc on my insides.

This is the one I currently use, and probably has higher concentration of lutein in than any other I've taken:

https://www.highernature.co.uk/Products/visualeyes#.V-1kJSgrIuU

----------

The thinking related to not needing supplements is very apt & all well and good, providing you are getting clean, organic food, which a heck of a lot of people here (or anywhere for that matter) won't be. That said, most of the time, they are more for insurance than anything else, since people are so used to functioning & existing rather than living / experiencing optimum health. There is a difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
I supplement my diet with caffeine and alcohol... copious amounts!

But on a serious note, no i dont, never felt the need, nor desire, i dont even take meds such as pain killers or the crap thats supposed to make you feel better when you have a cold/flu or such, i've always thought, that if i ever felt bad enough or my body ever really needed meds or supplements or such, i'd know about it, dont get me wrong i'm not ignorant to ailments or such, if something is wrong i'll get it seen to by a doc. Then again i've fortunatley been graced by an immune system as tough as old boots, what usually floors most folks will give me the sniffles at most, and thats not even an exaggeration.:confused:

I'm sure my body will catch up to me at some point, and supplements meds and such will be necessary, but i'll enjoy my pill free time as long as i can.

Wise Guy
Soldato
As tom_e said, the study was looking at curcumin, so there was no natural constituents that are found in whole turmeric to aid bioavailability. Plus there's loads of other compounds in turmeric like turmerone, so you get all the benefits when consuming the whole form, whether as a food or in a capsule it doesn't matter.

The good brands come with peperine added for bioavailability, or in phytosome form (thats what I take).

Associate
Just iron.

Test after test, cameras in places they were most certainly never meant to go and months of food logging and they still couldn't get to the bottom of why I have a deficiency so for the time being it's a permanent fixture.

Soldato
Glucosamine Sulphate

For Osteo-Arthritis. Though this is often sold as a "Supplement" it is actually available on prescription, though most GP's do not realise and you have to specifically ask for it.

Clinical trials at the Mayo Clinic have demonstrated its benefits and my own anecdotal experience confirms it (Indeed, X-rays have shown an improvement in the joint condition, which I must say, I was not expecting)

I also give it to my elderly and somewhat arthritic Cat, Although she is still obviously stiff, She does seem to be more agile than she was before I started giving it to her.

Man of Honour
All the people saying "If you've got a balanced diet why do you need supplements!?" you're looking at it just as being multi vits and things like that.

There are plenty of supplements that have shown to increase performance in a sports setting and there is absolutely no way to get the levels needed from diet alone.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Actimel in the morning.

Occasional 1000% vit C soluable tablet in a glass of water if I'm starting to feel drained.

Soldato
As for evidence around certain supplements, just go to Examine.com if you're unsure, it's a very reliable site.

Nice site.

All the people saying "If you've got a balanced diet why do you need supplements!?" you're looking at it just as being multi vits and things like that.

Also some you can't get from diet alone, like D as mentioned by SixTwoSix (requires exposure to UV). In July the new advice was everyone should take it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36854950 In Scandinavia they add it to milk and oil so that people get enough.

Caporegime
If you already have a decent diet, you don't need supplements. They're one of the greatest cons of capitalism.

But if you want to throw money at people just for the privilege of turning your urine pretty colours, go right ahead.

as far as multivitamins are concerned that is pretty much bang on for most people - complete waste of money that just turns into expensive ****.... but then again people are silly any accept claims made by supplement companies/health shops etc.. at face value

on the other hand there are people out there for whom things like iron tablets, vitamin d tablets are beneficial

Back
Top Bottom