Overpaying Mortgage

Soldato
Assuming no overpayment charges, this only makes sense if the interest rate on your savings is greater than that of your mortgage.

OP has already said he has 3% overpayment charge within his fixed term, that is why I mentioned wait for the fixed term to end (April 2018 as confirmed by OP) and save up as much in the meantime, when fixed term ends dump all the saved money off the capital with no penalty.

Also if overpayment is going to be regular I would look at a product that doesn't penalise for this as I have done.

FYI OP I am also a contractor but when I rang Santander as I was staying with a product they offered I didn't need to go through the whole 'affordability' process (which was lucky as I only had a 3 month contract at the time).

OP has already said he has 3% overpayment charge within his fixed term, that is why I mentioned wait for the fixed term to end (April 2018 as confirmed by OP) and save up as much in the meantime, when fixed term ends dump all the saved money off the capital with no penalty.

Also if overpayment is going to be regular I would look at a product that doesn't penalise for this as I have done.

FYI OP I am also a contractor but when I rang Santander as I was staying with a product they offered I didn't need to go through the whole 'affordability' process (which was lucky as I only had a 3 month contract at the time).

Yes good point, they will often let you move onto a current offer without any extra checks or anything. You may just have to fix yourself in again.

Soldato
OP

Yeah if I stay with the company, they won't do any checks, but moving companies will.

The problem is, they don't have any retention products at the moment.

Hopefully that changes by the time my fix ends.

Andy

Soldato
I wouldn't worry too much about fixed terms at the moment as it's unlikely (I know no-one can predict this) rates will climb any significant amount soon.

Fixed term interest charges are usually more than variable rates so that could make it cheaper in the monthly payments, mine did by about 1.25%

Yeah if I stay with the company, they won't do any checks, but moving companies will.

The problem is, they don't have any retention products at the moment.

Hopefully that changes by the time my fix ends.

Andy

It doesn't have to be a retention product specifically, most will let you take out any of their current offers. retention products aren't that diff normally.

Caporegime
given interest rates at the moment I'm not sure why people would bother with over payments (providing they have sufficient equity in the property)

Soldato
given interest rates at the moment I'm not sure why people would bother with over payments (providing they have sufficient equity in the property)

Not sure if serious?

Paying off debt should always be done where the debt is costing you more then what you could make using said spare funds.

As interest rates are low you will struggle to find savings products that over the term of the mortgage offer a higher return rate then the interest you pay on the mortgage.

Overpaying means that not only are you not paying interest because you have paid off more of the debt, but it also means you are borrowing the money for less time, which again reduces the overall cost to borrow.

Saying having sufficient equity in the property indicates that as long as you can afford to pay off the mortgage by selling the house then you are fine....but where will you live?

Caporegime

this is exactly why you should overpay. interest on savings is so poor your better off overpaying mortgage if it has higher interest than your savings rate. also interest on a mortgage is added daily. savings it can take a month or even a year to get any interest. i know in my 5% savings account i get zero interest for a year but i can only pay in £500 a month. so the rest goes on over payments to reduce the daily interest.

Hi all,

Took a 30 year mortgage out to get lower payments as I was planning to do overpayments anyway to reduce the term. The plan is to be mortgage free in 14 years .

You should have came onto this forum and asked for advice before taking out this ridiculous mortgage.

So you reckon you can pay it off within 14 years yet took it out on a term over double that? Well you have just shot yourself in the foot if your getting charged 3% on any overpayments.

Now you cannot overpay at all, so in 2 years time you will still have 28 years left to go. You have basically increased the amount of interest you will pay during this 2 year term and this is the most important time at the start as the interest is higher as you have paid so little of the loan off. The longer you are into a mortgage the less the interest is due to more of the loan being paid off.

What you should have done is taken out a 17-20 year mortgage to give you some leeway. Taking it out at 30 years means you pay less monthly but your paying more in interest.

It's compound interest too, it may not seem like much. Had I taken out a 30 year mortgage it would be costing me an extra £90,000 in interest, basically I could buy a brand new Audi R8 with the savings. Mortgages aren't rocket science why didn't you sit down and play about with the thousands of calculators available. Money saving expert website has all the info you need.

Soldato
We are now making a substantial overpayment every four weeks, with the hope of finishing the mortgage in about two and a half years so I can start thinking about early retirement (yay!).

Our mortgage was originally with the C&G, now technically Lloyds though correspondence still arrives headed C&G. The T&C has been a moveable feast over the ten years or so it has been running.

At first we had a card which we used to make the overpayment and could specify whether we wanted term or payment reduction.

Then we went through a phase when C&G were charging a £10 up front fee for handling capital repayments, but still with the ability to choose how it was applied.

However since the Lloyds takeover we noticed the payment was always being reduced rather than the term. When I queried this, I was told the only way to get the term reduced was to re-negotiate the mortgage each time, involving an interview and fee! As we are on the residual C&G base rate + 2% which followed our initial fixed rate we would be mad to change that. So now, every time we get a letter the payment has dropped, which is not after every capital repayment, we just increase the extra by the same amount. I also queried as our mortgage is getting down to around the £30k mark and some months we are paying £500 extra, whether the 10% restriction applied and was told on our product it doesn't. So happy days all round really and it is nice to see the end of the mortgage (and my retirement!) getting closer by the month.

We are now making a substantial overpayment every four weeks, with the hope of finishing the mortgage in about two and a half years so I can start thinking about early retirement (yay!).

Our mortgage was originally with the C&G, now technically Lloyds though correspondence still arrives headed C&G. The T&C has been a moveable feast over the ten years or so it has been running.

At first we had a card which we used to make the overpayment and could specify whether we wanted term or payment reduction.

Then we went through a phase when C&G were charging a £10 up front fee for handling capital repayments, but still with the ability to choose how it was applied.

However since the Lloyds takeover we noticed the payment was always being reduced rather than the term. When I queried this, I was told the only way to get the term reduced was to re-negotiate the mortgage each time, involving an interview and fee! As we are on the residual C&G base rate + 2% which followed our initial fixed rate we would be mad to change that. So now, every time we get a letter the payment has dropped, which is not after every capital repayment, we just increase the extra by the same amount. I also queried as our mortgage is getting down to around the £30k mark and some months we are paying £500 extra, whether the 10% restriction applied and was told on our product it doesn't. So happy days all round really and it is nice to see the end of the mortgage (and my retirement!) getting closer by the month.

Nice.
I assume your paying by DD if they are changing the payments constantly.
Its worth asking if they would allow you to switch to SO in that case as you would be in control of the payments that way.

I don't think you on that special a rate to be honest. Its worth looking as you can probably pick up a similar rate elsewhere and get a bit more control over the payments. I think £30k is often the minimum for lenders though so you may need to look sooner rather than later.

Soldato
Nice.
I assume your paying by DD if they are changing the payments constantly.
Its worth asking if they would allow you to switch to SO in that case as you would be in control of the payments that way.

I don't think you on that special a rate to be honest. Its worth looking as you can probably pick up a similar rate elsewhere and get a bit more control over the payments. I think £30k is often the minimum for lenders though so you may need to look sooner rather than later.

Yes DD. TBH we are fairly comfortable with the arrangement and I have a feeling after the next regular payment comes out we will be under £30k anyway. The interest is a (relatively) small percentage of the monthly payment, currently in the region of £50 - £60 out of £490 (without looking) so even if we did find a deal without fees, the savings aren't going to be huge. At this point thoughts are turning more to where we store the house deeds when it finishes, than squeezing another few pounds out of the payments.

Yes DD. TBH we are fairly comfortable with the arrangement and I have a feeling after the next regular payment comes out we will be under £30k anyway. The interest is a (relatively) small percentage of the monthly payment, currently in the region of £50 - £60 out of £490 (without looking) so even if we did find a deal without fees, the savings aren't going to be huge. At this point thoughts are turning more to where we store the house deeds when it finishes, than squeezing another few pounds out of the payments.

True

Banks and solicitors charge an arm and a leg for this :(

I know people used to leave some of the mortgage outstanding but I think that's difficult to do now

Soldato
Spoke to my broker, she confirmed I'd have to prove all of my income again to jump ship, which sucks.
Staying with the same lender, hopefully they have a good retention product by the time my fix ends. They currently don't, so hopefully that changes.
Out of interest, is there anyway to work out overpayments.
Say for instance, the variable rate is 5% at the time, but being on a variable, I can do overpayments whenever I like, I'd never actually be paying 5% of the total would I?

Thanks,

Andy

Somewhat amusing you think it sucks you have to prove your income, when you are not taking it as income to avoid tax in the first place.
They can hardly loan you money against a value you are not earning, nor paying tax against.

As for you overpayments all the time while on the standard variable, then you are correct, at an equivalent rate they would be charging you 5% but as the capital is eternally dropping, it wouldn't be a full equivalent of the 5%.
To calculate how much overpayment you would have to make, to make it equivalent to a fixed rate at a lower %, then we'd need the full figures for amount loaned, the LTV and the current repayment.

What I do not quite understand is if you pan to make these overpayments regularly, then why not cut the mortgage term, and have the amount coming out monthly, so it will end when you plan to end the mortgage?

Caporegime
this is exactly why you should overpay. interest on savings is so poor your better off overpaying mortgage if it has higher interest than your savings rate. also interest on a mortgage is added daily. savings it can take a month or even a year to get any interest. i know in my 5% savings account i get zero interest for a year but i can only pay in £500 a month. so the rest goes on over payments to reduce the daily interest.

there are more things to put your money into than just savings accounts, especially when you're young so no, that isn't exactly why you should overpay

also for savings there are plenty of accounts out there paying interest > a regular mortgage with reasonable equity

Caporegime
there are more things to put your money into than just savings accounts, especially when you're young so no, that isn't exactly why you should overpay

also for savings there are plenty of accounts out there paying interest > a regular mortgage with reasonable equity

plenty of accounts with plenty of eligibilty criteria. it's also a lot of hassle for 0.16% more than overpaying my mortgage.

by overpaying you have more equity which means come deal time you get a better rate. so it's swings and roundabouts. it's far simpler to just overpay and works out the same if not better by overpaying due to the better deal you get at the end of your current deal. unless you can get a decent return which makes it worthwhile going through all the hassle. i would need a return of at least 4% a year to make it worthwhile. not many accounts giving that out and those that do have plenty of restrictions.

other than an account where else would you suggest that is risk free?

Caporegime
my mortgage is < 2%

not overpaying it is a no brainer

some cash goes into savings, some into passive investments some into rather active investments

if I'd made overpayments on my mortgage rather than saving and investing it I'd lose out on thousands of £s, I'm not sure how setting up a savings account is 'hassle' if it is then I think you're doing it wrong

Back
Top Bottom