This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Can you not up your game in your current field. Web or software development is even more reliant on experience and a degree. I'm not saying not do it. Just be aware is a steep learning curve with continuous learning required.

upping my game involves a full time university degree in structural engineering which just isnt possible. I cant see any other way around it. Im prepared to take a pay cut for a junior role but they still ask for the degree which is crazy.

Ive had 3 interviews in 3 years, 2 with one company (first and 2nd interview) and one in another company.

i just want out of this place now, its living hell. i feel sad that i have to come here every day, im grumpy at home because of work. i stay up late every single night just so it seems longer until i have to come back in here. its depressing.

its getting to the point that im looking into electrician courses. i have friends who are electricians, they enjoy their jobs. I qualified HND as an electronic engineer so have some experience with electrics and electronics. (i helped said friend when he was installing all new sockets in my house also)

renovating my house has given me an insight into more hands on trades. (electrician, plumbing, plastering, building) and to be honest ive really enjoyed it. it was tough but that was purely down to living in what was a worksite and working full time. all my jobs since college (well 2 jobs in 14 years) have been office based and although i like the office environment i also like the hands on jobs. i like fixing stuff, making stuff and just genereally using my hands for something usefull.

Last edited:
Soldato
A few weeks ago one of our service development managers left the organisation, I'd worked quite closely with her and wasn't a fan, I also worked quite closely with her boss who I have a great deal of time for.

The job ad went out and I took a look and thought "I could do it, but can I evidence that with what I've done", I was going to right it off as too much too soon but for two things, 1. The aforementioned manager completed 360 feedback as part of my appraisal and was glowing whilst also suggesting I branch out from procurement in the future (the vacancy is on the commissioning side) 2. Some colleagues advised that the manager was a fan of my work and asked what I had to lose.

I've hopefully got an interview Friday (short notice but they are running behind and I am on leave next week), just waiting for confirmation of the date.

I just wanted to post this for anyone who is thinking of applying for a job but doesn't believe they hit the essential criteria, it's worth a punt. I was going to sack it off due to it being a massive leap in seniority from my current role, and due to time constraints around the application.

I might not get it but I can say for certain I'll be being less hard on myself when looking at job descriptions in future.

Caporegime
UPDATE: My manager handed in her notice yesterday then the IT Manager pulled me to one side and said that she had handed in her notice and that he had started the recruitment process for a replacement and I should not be effected...yeah of course with the exception of taking on her share of the support work. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I waited a bit, and then last night emailed him asking if I could apply for the position and reasons why as well.

Fast forward to today, no response from IT Manager yet but he normally doesn't respond to emails until later in the day. But I just got a phone call from an agency for a job at Microsoft here in Lisbon :eek:

They want an interview early next week. Will no doubt pay significantly more than I am on here and isn't it in the top 10 companies in the world to work for?

Either way, this could get interesting! Fingers crossed for the interview.

Soldato
UPDATE: My manager handed in her notice yesterday then the IT Manager pulled me to one side and said that she had handed in her notice and that he had started the recruitment process for a replacement and I should not be effected...yeah of course with the exception of taking on her share of the support work. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I waited a bit, and then last night emailed him asking if I could apply for the position and reasons why as well.

Fast forward to today, no response from IT Manager yet but he normally doesn't respond to emails until later in the day. But I just got a phone call from an agency for a job at Microsoft here in Lisbon :eek:

They want an interview early next week. Will no doubt pay significantly more than I am on here and isn't it in the top 10 companies in the world to work for?

Either way, this could get interesting! Fingers crossed for the interview.

Good luck with it :) Sounds like things are really on the up for you, very jealous :D

Soldato
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Personally I have never thought myself worthy of working at MS. So lets wait and see.

But fingers crossed either way.

In my experience of managing a lot of different types of people, those that think they are amazing at a job and better than others are usually the worst, and those that think they aren't worthy and are the quietest are usually the best.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Waiting on the result of my interview yesterday. They've said today is the day but time is going slooooooow :D

Soldato
fingers crossed for you.

I've just applied for another position. having 3 days off with food poisoning then coming in the receive a phone call from a recruiter asking if they can help push the IT role was a kick in the backside. I know they were struggling but it's a junior role on £16k, that's what I'm on but I'm not a junior.

Add that they are taking the staff to a local tiny pub for Christmas dinner but the sales consultants are going to Vegas + having a track day....

Applied for the same role in the local school.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

fingers crossed for you.

I've just applied for another position. having 3 days off with food poisoning then coming in the receive a phone call from a recruiter asking if they can help push the IT role was a kick in the backside. I know they were struggling but it's a junior role on £16k, that's what I'm on but I'm not a junior.

Add that they are taking the staff to a local tiny pub for Christmas dinner but the sales consultants are going to Vegas + having a track day....

Applied for the same role in the local school.

:eek: ouch.

Company I last worked for did similar. The chairman had his own jet so they'd fly out the directors and top tier managers to Ireland for a knees up and everyone else got a company do at the local working man's club and a £4 drinks voucher.

Similarly, I have been told in my current role that there's no room for progression at the moment yet they've just created a job above my manager which only he can apply for (I can technically but there's no way I'd be promoted above him). My colleague has quit on principle and I've potentially got a new job...should be a great promotion ;)

Soldato
Big things happening with old Reggie. My FTC role coming to an end at the end of December and I've applied for a full time role in our head office. Had my first Skype interview yesterday. Scheduled for 15min as an 'initial chat' and me and the guy spoke for 31min. The last 10 about surfing and mountain biking. End result? They're flying me out to meet the team.

Mentioned that to my General Manager down here and he's putting in a word for me with the executive GM my new boss (if I get it) reports to. All and all a good day. The only downer is that I'll have to take a 10k haircut on salary put as we're completely overpaid right now, so I suppose that's only fair. But the career progression is superb and the company is instantly recognisable in Australisia and the Far East. So there's room to move around countries in due time.

Just hope I get the damn role now :p

Soldato
So I'm not a big GD poster but need somewhere to vent so here goes....

I'll start with a bit of context in spoilers
Currently I am doing well for myself (at least in my eyes).

I am 28 and currently in my 3rd year of Head of Business and Computing at a local secondary. I am on course for the standard pay rise which should see me clear £40k this year.

Wife is expecting first child due in November and despite living at home (parents have pretty much said they want to retire abroad and spend many months away at the moment leaving just me, wife, older brother and younger sister) I am quite happy.
However, I know that I am not going to be in teaching forever, I have always wanted to start my own business. Be it a youth center or tuition place or whatever. I can only see myself in teaching for another few years.

Since I started teaching I contributed towards living expenses giving away half my salary on the usual bills, food etc, mortgage (which we cleared in Jan this year) and for the past 2 and a bit years have completely run the house by myself (Large 7 bed detached).

Now my parents foster care (by default myself and wife are nominated carers) and they have let the agency we are with know that after our current placement, they are out of the game and wish to retire. Current placement is due to end next summer so happy days.

Anyways, on to the business.
Keeping with the helping others and giving back to the community, my brother and I have agreed with our parents that we wish to use our house and convert it into a children's home / young adults care home. So much so that we have the business registered, business plan drawn up and are due to go through OFSTED regulations soon. Now this could prove to be a game changer for us as my brother has industry care experience, I have the education experience and our business partner has a successful business of his own. All looks good right?

This is where I need to vent. We have been given a timeline of Jan 2017 to open doors and get the business up and running. We are a loooong way from that.

That required roughly £40k worth of investment to the house and to put our family up in rented accommodation temporarily. (The plan is to run the business for a year and use the profits to buy another home that we can move into). The business plan makes sense, we stand to make some good money while helping out people in the process.

However, my wife is struggling with the pregnancy and will struggle to move unless its this month meaning we need to move out ASAP.

That means extra rent. We don't want to take any loans and want to do things ourselves (parents are willing to chip in but don't want to rely on that - they have practically given us a house) We have around 10k in savings and a further 10k from eldest sister.

Moving out, extra rent, on top of that the safeguarding and welfare of our current placement means that there are issues left and right. My brother is adamant that he wants to see it through and we should plow on, struggles at the start make it sweeter later on etc. My point is that I am fine in my current situation, should I be putting myself through all of this? I feel like he needs it more than I do but I also want to help out.

So yes, money is an issue, timing is an issue, I feel like I am choosing between this business and my family and sometimes feel like I am battling my wife and my brother. I know that a year from now if things go well I will be laughing about it all but at the moment its stressing me out :( Talk about first world problems

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom