Can you sell aluminum?

Soldato
I remember in first school in the 90s having aluminium can collections and for every 50 cans we brought in we got a free can of Vimto. :cool:

Imagine the outcry now if schools were caught bribing kids with free surgery pop for bringing empty cans to school! :D

Soldato
Remember the big drink can crushing phase in the 90s? It was huge then. Special magnets to weed out the steel cans from the aluminium ones. Special can crushers to make neat little circles. Lol. I could never be arsed.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
plus you cant just rock up and sell stuff now (well you can but the scrappy is risking his business so is unlikely to be reputable) we had loads of cable thefts which have stopped round here now..2 scrapyards got closed by the police prosecuting the owners for taking nicked stuff from 'random' passers by who were in fact part of a sting to cut down on this sort of theft..was done in partnership with local council who issue the licences

Soldato
I imagine any scrap merchant buying cabling from a ***** type aint paying close to 2k a ton .
^ Pretty much!

So they're not entirely stupid, they're just gambling their lives. Gotta give them credit for that.
Their complaint is, "Oh, you're a big company, you can afford to replace it"... No we can't.
They cause MANY thousands of pounds worth of damage and even more in disruption costs with each cable they cut. A cable might cost a few quid, but what we pay in getting just one of them back up would empty the OCUK warehouse!
If they want credit, they can go get a job like everyone else, thanks.

Caporegime
I imagine any scrap merchant buying cabling from a ***** type aint paying close to 2k a ton .

it all depends on the grade.my family/ friends own many big yards.have done for many many years.

copper is upto about £3500/4000 per ton for top stuff.prices fall for all metals as you probably know.was upto about 5000 not long ago.

so actual good cable you can get good money for unprocessed.they will then either strip it with machines or by hand even with a stanley knife.sounds stupid but good wire you can do it as fast as a machine if you good :p

or smaller wire you can process it where they cut it into fine niblets and then chemicals.

you work out the rough percentage of waste for copper.

alley like copper various different grades.different prices.

cans what they do is you take them in you have a machine that squashes them down into cubes / blocks.

so say someone brings in what would be a ton of bright wire unstripped you could give them upto half for it as it is. i on my own could strip that in a day.would you do a days work for £1000 - £1500 ? many would.

Last edited:
Soldato
it all depends on the grade.my family/ friends own many big yards.have done for many many years.
I'd have thought the bigger issue is the legality of what is almost certainly stolen metal, often with marks printed along the side of it that clearly identify from where they nicked it?

When Pat and Nigel turn up in a battered, unmarked Transit wanting to offload a few pristine reels of copper cable with [COMPANY NAME] all over it, or loads of refuse metal from [COMPANY NAME], knowing full well that company will have an official disposal contract for all its waste... does that not set alarm bells ringing?

would you do a days work for £1000 - £1500 ? many would.
But would you happily risk your life and your freedom (yes, the various Police forces do catch some people doing this) for a few quid's worth of metal?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd have thought the bigger issue is the legality of what is almost certainly stolen metal, often with marks printed along the side of it that clearly identify from where they nicked it?

When Pat and Nigel turn up in a battered, unmarked Transit wanting to offload a few pristine reels of copper cable with [COMPANY NAME] all over it, or loads of refuse metal from [COMPANY NAME], knowing full well that company will have an official disposal contract for all its waste... does that not set alarm bells ringing?

But would you happily risk your life and your freedom (yes, the various Police forces do catch some people doing this) for a few quid's worth of metal?

My father used to own one of the biggest in Swansea and yes, they'd get turned away if they couldn't prove it wasn't legit. Someone once came in with a bronze Eagle which was clearly part of a lectern in a church :(

These days you need an account to sell the scrap and enforcement officers regularly make unannounced visits to check.

See FTM's post ^

Caporegime
yes depends on what yards you talking about really.

you are supposed to be licensed blah blah know where metals are from.

obviously not all will follow every letter.

same as any business.

as to risking life to get it no.thats stupid.people do though because the money obviously is very good for bright wire/copper.thing is many are unskilled or dont know what they doing. cutting through a armoured cable thats turned on isnt a good idea is it :eek:

as to the eagle yes some have no morals at all.sad :(.

one funny one i remember was some oiks loitering outside a yard.near the scales was a big gunmetal wheel.about a hr later one of them came in to weight it in :D just laughed.:D

Caporegime

copper is upto about £3500/4000 per ton for top stuff.prices fall for all metals as you probably know.was upto about 5000 not long ago.

so actual good cable you can get good money for unprocessed.they will then either strip it with machines or by hand even with a stanley knife.sounds stupid but good wire you can do it as fast as a machine if you good :p

or smaller wire you can process it where they cut it into fine niblets and then chemicals.

you work out the rough percentage of waste for copper.

alley like copper various different grades.different prices.

cans what they do is you take them in you have a machine that squashes them down into cubes / blocks.

so say someone brings in what would be a ton of bright wire unstripped you could give them upto half for it as it is. i on my own could strip that in a day.would you do a days work for £1000 - £1500 ? many would.

what i mean Dg is said scrappy is going to be paying under market because its obviously stolen :p

Same way you aint getting the gold price from a fence or a dollar for a dollar from a money launderer.

Associate
Used to collect cans when I was a kid. You could do OK if you put the time in. Showing my age you used to have to have magnet with you as some cans were still made of tin.

I know an old boy who still does it. Makes a living out of it. If you live where there's a lot of street drinking it's not all that hard. Copper wire was where the money was and old boilers. A few mates made a killing for kids at the time in the 80s.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Used to collect cans when I was a kid. You could do OK if you put the time in. Showing my age you used to have to have magnet with you as some cans were still made of tin.

I know an old boy who still does it. Makes a living out of it. If you live where there's a lot of street drinking it's not all that hard. Copper wire was where the money was and old boilers. A few mates made a killing for kids at the time in the 80s.

When I was a kid shops still paid you a couple of pence for returning glass bottles.

Soldato
it is worth it but only if you recycle your aluminium cans anyway and have the room, I got about £30 for god knows how much cans I had crushed using a can crusher and kept, rather than putting in the recycling bin. I haven't bothered collecting again, as really its barely worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom