AMD FX-8320

Associate
Hi i would appreciate some help on this if possible.

I wish to overclock my FX-8320 3.5Ghz (4Ghz Boost) to roughly 4.2 or 4.3 depending on temperatures. Hopefully this can be done by just using the multiplier as i don't really want to go near voltages? I need to know exactly what things need turned off and what exactly i should be changing to achieve the desired overclock.

My mother board is a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard. (The Newer Bios version which doesn't look like a normal blue screen bios)

I am currently using a Thermalright True Spirit 90 CPU Cooler with a Zalman Z9 case with an extra 2 120mm fans so plenty of through air.

Idle i sit at 7C-10C and full load around 45C.

Here are a couple of screen prints on full load.

CPUZ_zps98ce1ed0.jpg

Temps_zps6f3412da.jpg

If you need anything else please let me know.

Sorry if im being a newb but this is all new. :)

Soldato
Idle at 7-10C? Do you live in a fridge? :)

In the BIOS make a note of the current voltages.

First thing to try - change your multiplier from x20 to x20.5. That should put you up to 4.1GHz and is not likely to need any voltage change.

Caporegime
Idle at 7-10C? Do you live in a fridge? :)

In the BIOS make a note of the current voltages.

First thing to try - change your multiplier from x20 to x20.5. That should put you up to 4.1GHz and is not likely to need any voltage change.

For someone so into AMD CPU's I'm surprised you don't know that AMD sensors are, and as far as I've been into computers are complete rubbish at an actual temperature reading :p

I can tell you now OP, you're not idling 7-10c or loading at 45c, it's just some silly offset temperature, hence why AMD's 62C seems so low and "cool" for a maximum temperature.

Also OP, what's the maximum bus speed your board can do?

Caporegime
I mean in the BIOS, as you get your clock speed from bus x multiplier.

You get best results from playing with both.
So right now your bus will be 200 x multiplier.

Might be called HT Ref clock or something.

Soldato
I know that 7-10C is wrong, it was a joke :p

If you're going for a small bump in performance you don't need to change many settings really. The main two are the multiplier (or bus speed) and the voltage. The LLC setting will become important too once you go higher.

X3T

X3T

Associate
About the AMD core temps: they are calculated from a formula, based off the temperature sensor under the socket (socket temp) and current load/operations.

It gets more accurate the closer it gets to 46 degrees C (and over.) That's why it will read lower than ambient temps at idle. Apparently the thermal shutdown for the chip is based off this temperature.

Associate
OP
Ok folks here is what i have done, the only thing i have changed in the bios is the multiplier to 21 which is 4.2?

I have ran Prime95 for the past 40 minutes or so using the torture test (small FTTs) and here is my stats so far. Are these any good? Should i change anything else, i don't want to push it.

The following things move about but these are the ranges according to CPU-Z:

Core Voltage Min 1.236 Max 1.356
Core Speed Min 2913 Max 4219
Multiplier Min 14.5 Max 21

multiplier21_zpsb53a6fb3.jpg

Soldato
You'd be at 4.2GHz, yeah. But CPU-Z is showing one of the cores at 2.9GHz in your screenshot, which might mean throttling. Does it stay there or did it stay mainly at 4.2?

Associate
OP
That figure goes up and down between 2913 and 4219 i assumed this was for all 8 cores? I can confirm on task manager that all 8 cores at at 100% usage, would this movement up and down be something to do with the power save thing?

I have looked for something that shows the speed of all cores but can't find anything

Soldato
Try disabling Cool and Quiet. This is only supposed to kick in when the CPU isn't under load but it's worth a try. A lot of people recommend disabling C1E power saving too.

My first guess is that on auto voltage it's supplying too much which is causing the CPU to throttle, then it's going back up to 4.2GHz and the same thing happens.

Back
Top Bottom