AIBU to just block half of the London numbers?

My mobile has been on the TPS for 10 years. Starting this year, cold callers are ignoring this. Bear in mind that it is illegal to call residents if they're on TPS.

All of the offenders use London 0207 numbers. Block one on the handset level and they'll use another 0207 in the same range. I posted in the phones/tablet forum and was signposted to Calls Blacklist Pro which allows to block number ranges. 3 ranges that I have blocked so far are 02079461***, 02079462*** and 02079500***. And they keep using more. When I google the numbers, it comes up with ambulance chasers. I've not been in a road accident on this side of the Millennium though!

So my AIBU is - should I just block the area code 0207? I.e. half of the London numbers.

The other half, 0208 isn't affected... yet.

P.S. for those who are pedantic - yes I know it technically should be 020 for London, but I don't care. It's 0207 and 0208 :p

Soldato
Which network are you on?

I work in the team that have just started to block these numbers into our network but it is a lot of work. Shut down one number range and they start using another within a day. Blocked over a million calls just the other day. :eek:

We know the ranges that they are likely to use, as they are normally sequential, but we can't bock them until they start using them and there is a threshold. Just hoping they get bored of doing it as we are causing them a lot of hassle.

Soldato
OP
Papa, I'm on EE.

I know these cold callers need to earn a living, but it's the principle. They serve no purpose in the community. E.g. when I was on the dole, I did some charity work with Age UK while I was looking for paid work. Then eventually ended up in a minimum wage job booking people onto courses which is a damn sight more useful than harassing householders at supper time.

Soldato
Papa, I'm on EE.

I know these cold callers need to earn a living, but it's the principle. They serve no purpose in the community. E.g. when I was on the dole, I did some charity work with Age UK while I was looking for paid work. Then eventually ended up in a minimum wage job booking people onto courses which is a damn sight more useful than harassing householders at supper time.

I get loads of these calls on my ee work phone, I'm assuming whoever had the number before had an accident or something but god they are annoying.

Soldato
I bought a brand new contract from O2 a year ago and within 4 days I had calls addressing me by name despite not having used the number yet.

Sincerly suspect that O2/carphone warehouse sell details of active contracts.

Man of Honour
switch your mobile number, its a bit of a pain but not to bad, then be more carful who you give your number to. on sites use a fake number unless they actually need it. that way you want get nascence calls.
also install https://www.truecaller.com/ which is great for identifying stuff.

Man of Honour
I bought a brand new contract from O2 a year ago and within 4 days I had calls addressing me by name despite not having used the number yet.

Sincerly suspect that O2/carphone warehouse sell details of active contracts.

I start getting calls a few days after taking a contract out at CPW too (never had them before).

Soldato
Phoneline down the fibre by Vonage
"Extensions" app on the mobile..
Phone rings on house and mobile phone
Option to block number instantly
Slowly getting through them :D

Soldato
Always get calls on my home number which I have never given to anyone. Once a day I think it averages.

Fortunately I also have no reason ever to answer my landline, so it is permanently on silent.

Associate
Associate
Calls from these ambulance chasers do my head in.

I found out wasting there time really annoys them, i play along giving them false information etc... then after 40 mins tell them the truth i was winding them up . I do this when i am bored, if iam not ill tell them to call me back.

Back
Top Bottom