Supplements - do you take any daily?

Soldato
Without telling people what you take via prescription (as that will no doubt turn into a medical thread), which supplements do you take? I'm as below:

L-theanine - especially effective for concentration levels if you have with a bit of caffeine

L-Theanine is a relaxing and nondietary amino acid found pretty much exclusively in teas from Camellia sinensis (alongside Green Tea Catechins and Caffeine) and is known to promote relaxation without sedation. It appears to be effective at this as well as reducing stress at standard dosages

Ashwagandha (loads of info below)

https://draxe.com/ashwagandha-proven-to-heal-thyroid-and-adrenals/

Tryptophan

More info below but essentially it helps your brain generate more seratonin but actually crosses the brain - blood barrier unlike 5-htp.

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2013/5/better-brain-chemistry-with-tryptophan/page-01

I only take this once or twice a week - wouldn't want to take it on a daily basis :)

Niacinamide

http://thebeautyissue.com/niacinamide-8-reasons-must-beauty-regime/

I used to apply crap loads of moisturisers etc which all contained harsh chemicals - in particular Benzoyl Peroxide. This is claimed to repair your skin barrier so it's less likely to flare up to environmental factors.

You?

Soldato
When I was younger I used to take a multi-vit and iron tablet religiously as my Dad was big into that kind of thing.

Nowadays if i'm going to the gym i'll have some BCAA's during my workout and a protein drink after. I feel like I get most of the vitamins I need from my diet.

Soldato
OP
I feel like I get most of the vitamins I need from my diet.

That the ideal really and technically it shouldn't actually be that hard!

A lot of people are understandably very sceptical about how beneficial certain supplements are.

Fish oils and multi-vitamins seem to be the most popular.

Caporegime
For insurance purposes, I'll take a high strength multi-vitamin/mineral & some EFA capsules / a gram of C per day, but what I won't be without is an eye supplement. I really notice it if I don't take one.

Soldato
OP
I take Vitamin D, a multi-vitamin (specifically for the iron and calcium), and turmeric tablets to help with joint pain. Whether these do anything at all, I have no idea. My blood tests should show.

Might want to give this a go. I can assure you that unless you live in the shadow, your vit D levels will be fine at the mo considering the weather we've had recently.

http://time.com/3984504/turmeric-supplements-curcumin/

Soldato
A-Z multivitamins & multiminerals, Omega 3 and glucosamine. The first because I noticed that if I don't I tend to get mouth ulcers (even though I have a very good diet but - being a nerdy scientist - I tested it several times and found that no A-Z=ulcers. It's also a good way of minimising hangovers. :)
The other two I take because of too many years of martial arts having taken a toll on my joints (back in the days when kicks were locked out!).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A-Z Seven Seas daily. Everything else is acquired from usual meals anyway. Protein shake after workouts few times a week.

Simple as 1 2 3.

Man of Honour
How many of the people that take a multivit/mineral actually check the ingredients to make sure they're using something the body can actually absorb rather than one full of cheap oxide sources that is about as bioavailable as licking a fence post?

Caporegime
If you already have a decent diet, you don't need supplements. They're one of the greatest cons of capitalism.

But if you want to throw money at people just for the privilege of turning your urine pretty colours, go right ahead.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
I started taking a multivitamin this week and they gave me crippling migraines. Reading online niacin is a common cause and these are chock full of the stuff, so into the bin they go.

Man of Honour
If you already have a decent diet, you don't need supplements. They're one of the greatest cons of capitalism.

That depends why you take them, there are plenty of plant based ones that can do things like help keep blood pressure in check which you're never going to get nevermind how balanced your diet is.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom