Money from parents

Associate
Associate
Had an offer from my father who is still in good health to give me a significant financial contribution towards a home - the money is my inheritance.

I've declined his offer several times as I want to be responsible for my own financial success and buy my own home. Sadly my mother died some years ago and my father is unmarried but in a relationship - the thought has crossed my mind that the woman and her family may become a threat to my inheritance in the future so I have to question the offer.

What would others do in this scenario? I wondered also how much other peoples parents have helped them financially.

Soldato
I would take it personally. If he has offered it more than once he is clearly sincere in his offer. Any concerns you have, valid or not would be solved by taking it, as well as providing you with the means to get a new home.

Soldato
Take it. He wants to give it to you so you can get ahead in life and that will make him happy. Rather that than when he is not around anymore to see it.

I got offered and took the money to buy a house with my partner and there is no shame in it. We're settled and gave my mother a grandchild who she adores.

Caporegime
Take it this instant. As Quartz says, taking it now is the best chance you have of avoiding inheritance tax

Also, Gods honest truth mate, my mum and dad split up, my dad found another woman and she ended up taking him for every penny, Ended up losing his £500,000 house and mine and my brothers inheritance vanished into thin air. She soon ****** off to where she came from in Northern Irelend and we have no inheritance at all. All completely gone.

Women are not to be trusted. I dont care if that sounds sexist. It's true. This greedy ***** did me and my bro out of everything we would inherit and is living the life of riley in a 5 bed house that my dad paid for out of the proceeds from the sale of our lovely home.

TAKE IT NOW.

Associate
Both mine and my partners parents helped us to buy our house.

Simply couldn't have afforded it without there help.

As long as your dad can afford it then why not.

Needless to say should my parents need money in the future (long term nursing or something) I'll be there to help.

Soldato
Take it as already suggested. My mum and dad have helped me out along the way (as well as raising me!) Now i'm earning half decent money I treat them to nice things occasionally and will no doubt be expected to assist as they grow old

Caporegime
Sadly my mother died some years ago and my father is unmarried but in a relationship - the thought has crossed my mind that the woman and her family may become a threat to my inheritance in the future so I have to question the offer.

What would others do in this scenario? I wondered also how much other peoples parents have helped them financially.

She is/they are - take the money. He wants you to have it and being male (and with no other information about him) she's likely to outlive him. Why should the result of his life's work go to her kids rather than his own(not that anything like that will definitely happen but it is a risk of something along those lines happening or for perspectives to be rather different re: what is 'fair' etc..) he wants you to have it and likewise who is more likely to look after him in old age - her kids or you?

Caporegime
Had an offer from my father who is still in good health to give me a significant financial contribution towards a home - the money is my inheritance.

I've declined his offer several times as I want to be responsible for my own financial success and buy my own home. Sadly my mother died some years ago and my father is unmarried but in a relationship - the thought has crossed my mind that the woman and her family may become a threat to my inheritance in the future so I have to question the offer.

Take it, saves it from inheritance tax at the very least (assuming 7 years pass)

Man of Honour
Take it... sounds like your own pride is very expensive.

I had help when I bought a home and I was very greatful for it. Just be extra prudent with your finances going forwards, if that helps you justify it to yourself.

Soldato
Take it. Me and my wife own our house through an identical situation. We was able to buy the house our landlord was selling with us still in... :)

"We were able to buy...."

Just to echo what everyone is tell you OP, take the money. Your father probably specifically worked and specifically saved to help setup you future. He will be pleased you are taking it and rest easy that his son is setup no matter what happens to him.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Take it. It's great that you "want to be financially successful on your own", but take the offer! Would you rather it ends up going to some randoms..?

Caporegime
The money is likely to be going your way but depends how you play it, you can let the government get a slice or it, or you can play the game right and get all of it.

So what will it be?

There is nothing to stop you to get it, but if your dad ever need money for whatever emergency, you can help him out, which I am sure you will anyway, at least this way you can avoid some tax.

Unless of course your dad decides to donate it all to charity in his will.

Also, if you don't take it, and if the government take a big chunk, you have given up your right to moan.

Associate
Take it. The new family almost certainly will screw you otherwise.

My Uncle did the dirty when our Nan died. He convinced her to sell him her £250,000 house for £20k in a death bed will, which was then split between his 5 siblings.

Back
Top Bottom