** macOS Sierra / OS X 10.12 **

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Is anyone running the GM for macOS Sierra? How are you finding it?

I've updated my rMBP but I want to reformat and install clean however, it keeps giving me the white no-entry symbol when I boot from USB. Just isn't playing ball at all :confused:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Released on 20th, but I can't seem to get it to install. Frustrating.

Downloaded the GM through the Apple website and made the bootable USB using Terminal. Any ideas?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Hmm appears to be installing from the Install macOS Sierra.app in Applications now, but I wanted to do a fresh format using the USB stick. It boots from the USB but it displays the white no-entry, which is frustrating.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Yeah I shall wait for this to update then boot to Disk Utility :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I suppose it will help for those who save everything to desktop.. not so much if you transfer 30GB of wedding photography there :D

Associate
20th cool cheers.

Sound's like it's kernal panicing saw this a lot when doing my you can't mention that here project. Is it happening when creating the bootable or when you try an install from the bootable USB ?

Edit - looks like I'm a bit late in the thread, I concur with the advice already dished out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Commissario
I installed it at the weekend, totally underwhelmed by it so far.
oh dear, just noticed this. Apple have put the /Desktop into the cloud so if you put anything on the desktop and logged into iCloud it uploads the data to iCloud. :(
This is an option when it installs. It asks if you want to move everything from Documents/Desktop into the cloud. I said "nope".

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I did a recovery boot (Command + R) and had an option to "Perform clean install of macOS Sierra" but didn't want to risk anything going wrong and bricking my only Mac.

Will re-download and create a fresh bootable USB. For those interested I'll be using the following video guide (I only used Terminal first time.. no dragging and dropping). I don't think I messed up but I'll see anyway.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I've been on and off Sierra since the Public Beta, and even with the GM Release there are still a few odd bugs.
Also, annoyingly, issues with applications which I am waiting to be updated.
One company has released an update which appears not to solve the issue, and the other advised they start testing AFTER the public release, which is very irritating given the availability of betas.

FYI the two apps are DuetDisplay and DXO Optics Pro 11.

Update: Support sorted DuetDisplay for me. You have to manually remove the app and some file and then reinstall from scratch if you upgrade the os.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
So EVH you well on your way to having it installed? It took me around 25 minuets to install properly.

Got it installed, finally!

Bit of a drama though because I downloaded the OS from the App Store but the download was corrupt so it wouldn't let me re-download the file but equally it wasn't available in /Applications which meant I couldn't manually remove the installer.

Anyway, I booted in to recovery mode, wiped the main boot drive using disk utility then chose "install clean macOS Sierra" which forced it to download a new copy OTA.

One bug I've noticed. Perhaps someone can confirm... installed Audacity but when you launch it a duplicate dock icon appears. If you right click "keep in dock" then drag one of them off, you cannot launch the app. It's no big deal but it means whenever the app is open there's 2 icons on the dock.

Permabanned
Finally, we'll keep playing with it and submitting bug requests. It's what I have been doing and things will be fixed over time. There's that much that can go wrong with things like this anyway.

I will confirm shortly when I get into work.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Were you able to confirm? I may remove Audacity anyway (it's updated so slowly), but I'd have to find a suitable alternative and I'm not sure if I can be bothered :p

Apart from Siri, I'm not noticing very many real-world changes. The "show folders at the top" when sorting by name is handy though.

Back
Top Bottom