USB 3.0 Hubs...

Associate
Just need a little bit of advice really.

I need to run a USB 3.0 hub from my pc to my Obutto R3volution cockpit, to connect all my peripherals.

I was looking at getting 1 x 13 port USB 3.0 hub to run everything, but I thought that might be a a lot of devices on one USB 3.0 motherboard port ?

Or, do you think I would be better off running, 2 x 7 port USB 3.0 hubs on two separate USB 3.0 motherboard ports ?

List of Peripherals to be connected
---------------------------------------
Thrustmaster T300RS steering wheel, gearshift & pedals (Force Feedback)
Oculus Rift Sensor (probably 2 of these, when the touch controllers are released)
TrackIR
Webcam
Ducky One keyboard (LED)
Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Stick
Razer Chroma Mouse (LED)
Logitech G35 headphones
Xbox controller

These are in a rough order of power draw, from high, down to low.

I'm probably leaning more towards, 2 x USB 3.0 hubs, what do you think ?

Soldato
Could I humbly suggest you ditch the trackIR and buy/build an EDtracker (get the one with drift correction). £20 well spent, for tracking it destroys most IR solutions I've tried.

As far as number of ports - get a powered hub with a good number of ports (imo).

Associate
OP
Could I humbly suggest you ditch the trackIR and buy/build an EDtracker (get the one with drift correction). £20 well spent, for tracking it destroys most IR solutions I've tried.

As far as number of ports - get a powered hub with a good number of ports (imo).

Cheers for the heads up on EDtracker.

I don't really have any problems with trackIR as such,
so is EDtracker smoother etc ?

Soldato
I find it flawless and completely slick.
I've... built a good IR setup, probably isn't QUITE a trackIR but it... certainly wasn't bad.

Do you ever find it getting a bit jittery when your head's turned too much? The edtracker definitely handles that LOADS better.

Soldato
I'm thinking of doing this to tie up my phone (mouse), tablet (browsing and dash apps) and T300 RS into one cable but I've been worried about using the T300 this way.

It's been flawless through a front 3.0 port though.

As for head tracking, my home made tracker with opentrack and modded PS3 eye is absolutely flawless.

Going to rebuild it into a cap.

edit...don't you lose 6 dof with EDtracker? Not an option for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom