Which DVD/Blu-Ray ripper?

Soldato
I don't know much about DVD ripping, but I got hold of Easefab DVD ripper and gave it at a go, but I've got a bit of a problem with the ripped videos.
I'm getting these horizontal lines when there's any movement, I've tried the deinterlacing effect on the rips, but it's not changed anything.

Can anyone give a suggestion on how to fix this or recommend another ripping program?

tnx

tnx

Associate
Back in the day, many moons ago I used Slysoft CloneDVD along with AnyDVD.
Not done anything like this for years now but I checked and there is a CloneBD, not Slysoft any more.

Have a look and see if that's the sort of thing you need

https://www.redfox.bz/en/

Soldato
For DVDs I still use good old DVD Decrypter.

For Blurays as EYEREX says MakeMKV is nice. I'm sure the day will come when they start charging for it though. :(

I convert using Handbrake.

If you're a noob you might need to read up on some guides.

Associate
Yeah, AnyDVD was the best but is now defunct unfortunately. Personally, if you are not into building a collection to sit in a cabinet I'd just go digital. Pick either Amazon, Apple, or Google & sell the DVDs & replace them with digital copies.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions.

Think your right on needing to read some guides, I ripped a DVD with MakeMKV then encoded it to MP4 using Handbrake, in the effects option I check deinterlacing, but I'm same having the same problem with horizontal lines.

Associate
Most PAL DVDs (films) are not interlaced. Is it foreign? The lines might be due to the deinterlacing. :p

Some are though but you can use something like DGIndex or similar to check - I think handbrake may actually come with a version of it but don't quote me on that as I haven't used either for ages. Personally I wouldn't deinterlace at all & would leave it to your hardware to do it whilst watching. If you do deinterlace and bob (create two frames from the two fields) then you'll be increasing the file size and probably still losing quality, whilst if you don't bob it you'll be losing a viewable frame of information as the two fields are merged into one frame (basically, if that makes any sense).

Last edited:
Associate
So if I'm ripping old PAL DVD's, am I ****ing in the wind if I'm trying to get rid of these lines?

Hmm. Well you could try DGIndex to look at the VOB files or try watching the DVD content using Media Player Classic then go to File >> Properties >> Media Info and look at the Scan Type. Should say there if it is Interlaced or Progressive footage.

Associate
So if I'm ripping old PAL DVD's, am I ****ing in the wind if I'm trying to get rid of these lines?

Never had total success either trying to play interlaced stuff on a monitor, whether rencoding with deinter option or via gcard settings, but looks fine on a proper tv.

Soldato

:rolleyes: No, you need to work out if the source material is interlaced or not.

Mediainfo is brilliant for a quick read into most files. Look under 'video->scan type' and it should say interlaced or progressive* (though this is just reporting what the file is declaring AFAIK, not really analysing it as Farious is suggesting, which would be better. MeGUI has/had a tool to do that automatically.) https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If you extract a short clip of it someone here could probably tell you. Also would rule out your PC as being the problem.

*Edit this isn't accurate actually as I suspected. Most of my rips say interlaced but in MeGUI after analysis they're reported as progressive. Never mind.

Last edited:
Associate
*Edit this isn't accurate actually as I suspected. Most of my rips say interlaced but in MeGUI after analysis they're reported as progressive. Never mind.

Depends how the DVD branching is done. For instance some PAL 576i shows have interlaced opening & closing titles and credits in one 'file' whilst the actual show's episodes are progressive and stored in another 'file'. When you play the DVD it plays the interlaced titles, then plays the progressive main content, then plays the interlaced closing credits.

Not sure about how MeGUI works as I did it all manually. From memory I used DVDDecrypter to separated the DVD content into complete episodes with open, contents, & closing credits in a single vob, analysed it with DGIndex, then passed the DGIndex index file to x264 via the command line with the correct command line switches set for interlaced, frame rate, scan type and field order. The audio, subs & h264 file was then combined using MKVToolnix.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back in the day, many moons ago I used Slysoft CloneDVD along with AnyDVD.
Not done anything like this for years now but I checked and there is a CloneBD, not Slysoft any more.

Have a look and see if that's the sort of thing you need

https://www.redfox.bz/en/

Redfox is just AnyDVD under new management

If you had licences for their old products don't expect them to work with the new one though. Lifetime licences included. Pretty ****ed off to be honest. So bear it in mind in case they "disappear" again in the future.

No but if you want to permanently get rid of them you'll have to deinterlace the source which is an art form in itself. These all-in-one converters are pretty useless at anything other than basic conversions. Or simply play the source using a media player that supports playback of interlaced sources (LAV filters if you're using MPC-BE, for example.) Don't bother wasting your time with WMP.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Little bit of an update, using handbrake with deinterlacing set to bob and 59.94 framerate seems to have solved the problem.

Next question, what are the best settings to use to get as close to DVD quality as possible? Also, how come the DVD source is 720x576, the width option only goes up to 710?

Associate
Little bit of an update, using handbrake with deinterlacing set to bob and 59.94 framerate
Your framerate is wrong for bobbed PAL content it. It should be 50fps, 59.94fps is for American NTSC bobbed footage.

Next question, what are the best settings to use to get as close to DVD quality as possible?

Don't deinterlace it. You are using an algorithm to reconstruct the 'missing' fields permanently so the 'quality' will depend upon the deinterlaced method used. Just my view, but I think you are solving the problem the wrong way around and you should encode it as Interlaced and then simply make sure your player is deinterlacing it when playing.

Also, how come the DVD source is 720x576, the width option only goes up to 710?

The original video was recorded for broadcast on the 625 line PAL TV system so the 'size' and aspect ratio will be different to that of the DVD Mpeg2 standard. Basically the video on the DVD is resized and stretched to fill the DVD's 720×576 and then resized to a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio upon playback.

Back
Top Bottom