Gaming on an X34..?

Associate
I'm tempted to go X34, but can someone explain to me how the ultra wide works with games? Does it cause issues? Do I have to do something to each game to play them? Do all games work?

I play FPS games like COD, Battlefield etc and Driving games, GRID, DIRT, etc

Soldato
Works epic. Been using the resolution for over two years and everything else feels meh, until 4K ultrawide :)

In regards to your question, not a one size fit all as all games behave diffrent. Some games support it natively, others support the resolution at times (witcher 3 during gameplay but not cut scenes (can be tweaked to work however)) others require diving into files or editing a few things here and there. Also some tools such as flawless widescreen (google it) which does a cracking job of getting some older titles working.

On the whole, at least the titles I play which encompasses most AAA titles, the resolution works fine more often then not. Just simple as selecting the resolution in the drop down in game. Usually it launches at the 3440 X 1440 resolution where supported anyways.

Soldato
As others have said once you go ultra wide you won't want to go back. One thing to note though bearing in mind you like FPS games like COD etc. Ultra wide is seen as giving you an advantage in online play due to the increased fov. Some FPS games limit you to 16:9 for this very reason......COD being one. Sure you can edit it and force the change but there are rumours of vac bans for doing it. a lot of these games have built in detection software to see if any form of forced edit is taking place. I don't play COD games but there was this fear with Dark Souls 3.....a fix did come out but I waited for the online community to Guinea pig it for me before I tried it.

Associate
OP
Thanks all..

So in regards to this comment below, being locked at 16:9 will that just play the game centred and leave a black part of the screen either side?

As others have said once you go ultra wide you won't want to go back. One thing to note though bearing in mind you like FPS games like COD etc. Ultra wide is seen as giving you an advantage in online play due to the increased fov. Some FPS games limit you to 16:9 for this very reason......COD being one. Sure you can edit it and force the change but there are rumours of vac bans for doing it. a lot of these games have built in detection software to see if any form of forced edit is taking place. I don't play COD games but there was this fear with Dark Souls 3.....a fix did come out but I waited for the online community to Guinea pig it for me before I tried it.

Soldato
That's how I play 16:9 games.

As much screen space as a 27" screen still that way.

If a game cant or wont be adjusted to fit 21:9, or its best not too online (COD/Overwatch) then I ensure that I have the black bars at the side.....Not ideal but better IMO than a stretched image. Nvidia has an option in its control panel to ensure that images dont stretch if its doesnt fill native. Not too sure about AMD.

What is worth noting is that if you want to play COD in its full 21:9 glory, just fire up Steam in its OFFLINE mode, and go ahead.

http://www.wsgf.org/

and

https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

are your friends with 21:9 and multi monitor gaming.

Soldato
I'm tempted to go X34, but can someone explain to me how the ultra wide works with games? Does it cause issues? Do I have to do something to each game to play them? Do all games work?

I play FPS games like COD, Battlefield etc and Driving games, GRID, DIRT, etc

I'd recommend at least a 1070. As a recent 3440x1440 user, I can say it's my favourite upgrade since the Voodoo graphics card in 1997ish.

Back
Top Bottom