Is my PSU on the way out?

Soldato
Last night I heard a few brief spurts of what you'd typically call "electical fizzling" noise. It was coming from the general direction of my base unit but there's also a multi-way trailing socket behind it. The noise stopped and hasn't re-occurred since but I didn't find any loose connections anywhere so I'm now wondering whether it was the PSU.

Is this likely to have come from the PSU? Would it be an early indication of failure? It's a Corsair HX620 which is getting on a bit. I'm wondering whether a precautionary replacement would be advisable and what people would recommend to replace it.

If I did leave it and it failed, what are the chances of it frying components in the process? I can deal with the inconvenience of a dead PSU but not having to fork out for a dead graphics card!

Soldato
Depends how old the PSU is, I've learnt never to skimp on the PSU and replace them whenever the warranty runs out, if you have warranty just RMA it if not then I'd probably replace as it will be getting old, just have it for spare.

Soldato
OP
Been keeping an eye on it for the last couple of days and no re-occurrence.

If I was sure it was the PSU then I'd replace it as a precaution but I'm still not totallly sure it wasn't something else like a loose plug in the extension.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Only needs to be around 600-700W level, was looking at another Corsair but have read a few reports of failures on them. Would want hybrid modular (so just main mobo power captive)

Last edited:
Soldato
Been keeping an eye on it for the last couple of days and no re-occurrence.

If I was sure it was the PSU then I'd replace it as a precaution but I'm still not totallly sure it wasn't something else like a loose plug in the extension.

Any recommendations for a replacement? Only needs to be around 600-700W level, was looking at another Corsair but have read a few reports of failures on them. Would want hybrid modular (so just main mobo power captive)

HX750i is decent for the price or a G2 or P2 Evga.

Soldato
OP
Jesus £135?! Was thinking more like £60-80.

What do the higher end models like this give me over the "lesser" priced ones? I know squat about PSUs other than to buy a branded one.

EDIT: Ah screw it, the reviews do look good - ordered one :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Jesus £135?! Was thinking more like £60-80.

What do the higher end models like this give me over the "lesser" priced ones? I know squat about PSUs other than to buy a branded one.

EDIT: Ah screw it, the reviews do look good - ordered one :)

Yeah that is the kind of price PSU's are now, if you wanted cheaper a Evga G2 550w what be good enough, you won't regret a HX750i though! If you wanted something cheaper then the MM has a decent unit up atm.

Soldato
OP
All installed and working, it's a bit of a beast and probably overkill for my needs but hopefully will last a good while.

Back
Top Bottom