The ROG Rampage V Edition 10 Owners Thread

Soldato
No idea what happened.

I was using the computer OK for a while... that slot had my primary GPU.

I left the PC running overnight and in the morning there was no display output.

Tried rebooting... nothing.

I was worried it might be the GPU at first... but disabled the slot and plugged monitor into second GPU and all OK.

Then I tried another GPU in first slot and no output... and tried primary GPU in another motherboard and it worked straight away.

The only change I made to the PC was updating to Bios 1003.

I tried rolling back to 901 but it was too late. Don't know if it was directly related to the bios or something else. The slot and all pins appear perfectly fine.

Some power is getting through though as the fans span up on the extra GPU I was testing with.

Most odd indeed - it is a long shot, but you could try taking the cmos battery out overnight, as I heard it said that this takes the board back to factory state, and this might restore the slot. Have you tried the second bios to see if it works ok then ( I know it looks like a hardware failure - but as you said some voltage is getting through). May want to try the idea - other than that it looks like RMA time????

Mark

Soldato
Hmmmmm got a strange problem

If I shutdown my PC overnight, it gets caught in a 'AE' bootloop. I have to reset it 4-5 times before it goes from 'AE' to 'AA'.

Anyone have any ideas?

Soldato
No idea what happened.

I was using the computer OK for a while... that slot had my primary GPU.

I left the PC running overnight and in the morning there was no display output.

Tried rebooting... nothing.

I was worried it might be the GPU at first... but disabled the slot and plugged monitor into second GPU and all OK.

Then I tried another GPU in first slot and no output... and tried primary GPU in another motherboard and it worked straight away.

The only change I made to the PC was updating to Bios 1003.

I tried rolling back to 901 but it was too late. Don't know if it was directly related to the bios or something else. The slot and all pins appear perfectly fine.

Some power is getting through though as the fans span up on the extra GPU I was testing with.

This is worrying

Permabanned
Rebuilt yesterday, decided to risk upgrading to bios 1103 again and so far so good... it survived the night :)

Hopefully that's the last PC build I'll need to do in a hurry - getting feddup now. OK penultimate - I still have to put wifey's PC back together. Seems like almost every day since I got back to the UK I've been rebuilding PCs...

First day back, loop drained = I wanted to redo some pipework and that took a while as I removed one of the 280 rads from the system and wanted to tidy things up.

Second day... built wifey's new watercooled PC.

Third day... this PCI-E slot died... dismantled my PC to test and then dismantled wifey's PC to steal her motherboard for a while as I wasn't sure how long it would take to get mine repaired/replaced and she doesn't need her PC at the moment.

2 day break

Next one... rebuilding my PC again with new motherboard.

Still have to put wifey's PC back together... argh.

Soldato
Rebuilt yesterday, decided to risk upgrading to bios 1103 again and so far so good... it survived the night :)

Hopefully that's the last PC build I'll need to do in a hurry - getting feddup now. OK penultimate - I still have to put wifey's PC back together. Seems like almost every day since I got back to the UK I've been rebuilding PCs...

First day back, loop drained = I wanted to redo some pipework and that took a while as I removed one of the 280 rads from the system and wanted to tidy things up.

Second day... built wifey's new watercooled PC.

Third day... this PCI-E slot died... dismantled my PC to test and then dismantled wifey's PC to steal her motherboard for a while as I wasn't sure how long it would take to get mine repaired/replaced and she doesn't need her PC at the moment.

2 day break

Next one... rebuilding my PC again with new motherboard.

Still have to put wifey's PC back together... argh.

Go on - you love it really. Lol :p

Mark

Permabanned
Nah... that would be the first time you build it... not the 5th :p

Oh well... just about completed now... only have to add the IceModz custom cables and attach some more UV cathodes to the case and I'm done.

Still umming and ahhing over using the Phanteks LED strip I bought... I prefer the UV glow.

Man of Honour
OP
Cosmio - have you got any advice on getting the DAC to work? I need to fit mine later as I have new headdies incoming

Look at posts #218/219

Check that the USB cable reaches the motherboard. You will lose two USB ports from the double header on the motherboard as you have to use one of them.

All straightforward but I had to do quite a few turns on the volume control before getting sound.

Unfortunately my pc stopped going into sleep mode with those drivers so I've uninstalled them until they're fixed. The DAC is still there. It may not be an issue for you.

Soldato
Look at posts #218/219

Check that the USB cable reaches the motherboard. You will lose two USB ports from the double header on the motherboard as you have to use one of them.

All straightforward but I had to do quite a few turns on the volume control before getting sound.

Unfortunately my pc stopped going into sleep mode with those drivers so I've uninstalled them until they're fixed. The DAC is still there. It may not be an issue for you.

Thx. Finally got it working after some pains. That final stage - of turning the thing like 50*360degs - was annoying

Associate
Hi peeps, I'm just about to order this board to go with a 6950 and had a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Memory: I want 64gb of ram as I need a ram disk. I was looking to get Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-36. My question is should I get 8x8gb sticks or 4x16gb sticks? I'll be overclocking as mad as I can :)

SSD: I have a m.2 samsung 950 already. If I wanted to get a 2nd what would be the best way to connect it? I have it now in a pcie adapter card but I see that putting it in the x4 slot would lose the usb's and putting it in the #4 slot it will share bandwidth with the other m.2. I'll be running 2x1080's in slots #1 and #3. Will slot #4 run at 8x and therefore give me enough bandwidth for 2 x m.2's? Or what about using slot #2?

Thanks.

Permabanned
It doesn't matter if you use 4x16 or 8x8 really as these memory controllers can handle both with ease. Only real consideration for me there would mean that with 4x 16 you have the option to upgrade to 128gb at a later stage if you want to.

I would recommend getting an Intel 750 instead of second Samsung 950, they are faster and already designed for pci-e, their current brand new price is also pretty good.

If you use the 8x pci-e size slot, then the bandwidth to the gpus won't be affected. If you use the other pcie 16x slots for it, then the second gpu will be dropped to 8x speed

Soldato
Bios Problem

Hi all,

Noticed the other day as my system booted up that my 3200 ram was only booting at 2133, don't know how long this has been happening.
I took the ram out and blew the sockets with compressed air and replaced sticks, but no dice - still only 2133 speed.

Tried going in to bios and setting xmp but would keep looping to error code bd, and the only setting that would boot was auto which sets 2133 grrrrr. Tried loading the previous bios version 1002, but still the same problem.Tried manual as well - still no go.

I changed to the backup bios and that works fine - so I think the main bios chip has failed on my board by the looks of things so am running on the backup bios on bios 502 at the moment - dare not upgrade to latest now in case bios 2 fails?

Any suggestions or is it rma time?

Mark

Back
Top Bottom