Project Dianoga

Soldato
Speaking of awesomely coloured boards, I present to you my Pentium 4 Prescott board, the Gigabyte 8KNXP Ultra.

8knxp-ultra-board.jpg

Great board, even clocked my 3.2GHz Prescott to 3.5GHz before the temps scared the bejesus out of me.

Still running too, may give it an overhaul to practice modding.

Soldato
OP
Time to start sorting out the PSU. I cut the Cougar parts yesterday before having a nap. So this morning I got out the lime green gloss vinyl and finished cutting them.

And finished.

It's not a bad match with the acrylic either. Tiny bit darker, but you won't see it any way given it will be behind the shroud I made.

The PSU.

Pah !

And it's open. Wasn't terribly happy that they had glued the fan plug to the socket though FFS.

And

The badge fought me at first but was no match for the heat gun (from behind) and the Isoprop.

Some of you may remember one of my side mods when I was building the Triad rig. It was a paint booth, handy that !

It will turn to flat when it dries.

Soldato
OP
Much more in-keeping with the scheme. Impressed you got the badge off in a reusable state!

You just don't see the hex mesh shaped burns on my finger tips :D

Heat gun man, always heat gun. It's a bit of a hot potato from there but as long as you don't drop it very far it usually works every time :D

Soldato
If you've ordered the stuff already and you've got the space, why not. I'll confess it would have been useful when I 'wired' up my pump back to front - it did a lovely job of back-filling the res with froth. I'd previously been pulling a hose off and draining from that but it only really worked because I could pull out a chunk of my loop - eg the flow sensor and its hoses - and drain both resulting ends (from splitting the loop) at once. Once I'd moved to hardline I was thinking I might have to get the VAX in and lose the coolant but I found a nice spare port on the back of the conveniently-external rad.
If you've got a joint that you can get out of the box and then open, you're ok. If you've got a single point (ie a blanked off port) that you can get out of the box, you're ok. If not, a drain port or the Vax it is

Soldato
OP
Although isn't your res at the top of the case? Not to say you couldn't invert the whole case and then drain it....if ya HAD to! :D

I was thinking of fitting some hose to a fitting then putting a drain port at the bottom of the case. Maybe in the right panel. I could then undo the plug and let it drain before connecting a cheap barb fitting and some hose into one of those £3 pumps and could then pump the rest out.

I also need to drop you an email with some basic questions. Is that OK?

Soldato
OP
No problem....as long as they're modding/watercooling related...not so good at say fashion advice ;)

Aww I wanted your opinions on the flairs I just got :D

Got some mental news this morning. I've been so busy working on Elvis that I didn't notice that -

1. I had been nominated for Custom PC mod of the month for the Triad.

2. Had actually won Custom PC mod of the month :eek:

Soldato
Aww I wanted your opinions on the flairs I just got :D

I can guarantee that my opinion would be both as flattering and as useful to you as said flares! :D

Got some mental news this morning. I've been so busy working on Elvis that I didn't notice that -

1. I had been nominated for Custom PC mod of the month for the Triad.

2. Had actually won Custom PC mod of the month :eek:

Nice. Well deserved too.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. It had been one of my ambitions to feature. Winning ? LOL.

Funny thing is I had absolutely no idea until I received a pm this morning about the prizes.

I usually follow MOTM very closely so I can vote for Alex (Maki Role) but yeah, literally work, update logs,sleep.

So happy.

Soldato
OP
WTFFFFFFFFF? Now THAT is some news to come out of the blue!

Many congratulations

It's been an ambition of mine to be nominated for years. Sadly I don't have thousands of pounds so I usually read with interest and vote for legends like Alex (Maki Role) and Dan (B-Negs)

At first I was like "oh wow I've been nominated" then after two coffees I realised I'd actually been nominated over a month ago and had then won. Madness man just madness. There are prizes too !

I think I've won four of those new Corsair ML fans in my choice of LED colour.

I need a NAS and due to the very low price of 3mm sheet acrylic I think I'm going to to either do an ITX complete scratch build or hopefully something smaller like a Rasp Pi.

The fans can go in that.

Soldato
Depends what you want to use it for but I would have thought you'd get fairly disappointing performance from a Pi for network storage. I'm using a full-fat Windows Server in my special, purpose-built server room under-the-stairs cupboard for iSCSI and SMB since I've stripped out all storage apart from a pair of M.2's. Nice and tidy as well as fast. Bulk storage on the server's shares and then the iSCSI provides what appear to be direct-attached drives - better performance and some things don't like network paths or mapped drives. One of these is for backup (File History specifically) and the other as overflow storage - like Steam games. Performance maxes out a 1Gbps link. I've had NASs before that couldn't max out a 100Mbps link.

On the flipside, if you're after just music and photo storage with a really small footprint/power bill/heat dump a Pi would be an interesting way of doing it. Horses for courses and all that jazz. Just my 2c worth :D

Back
Top Bottom