BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
I always thought for a diesel, the Jags were pretty much as good as you were going to get, and if not then the difference would be marginal. But it's scary just how quiet and smooth they sound. When I pulled away in the dealership I made an extra effort to listen and just shocked at how quiet it is.

I do still love the XF interior, it still is very classy but the F10 just oozes quality, the whole arm rest/centre console just feels solid and really well done. And the iDrive software is just another league compared to the Jag with some nice touches like writing commands on to the wheel, a novelty but very cool and I'd imagine very useful when on the move and navigating (but then again, it's probably something i'd never use :p).

The HK sound system was brilliant as well, the bass is so punchy but everything stands out, would become painfully loud before you got distortion too, I didn't even want to try!

The ONLY negative I can find about the car, and it's very minor, is the manual temperature adjusters next to the centre vents? Why does it have those when it has climate control?

Man of Honour
The ONLY negative I can find about the car, and it's very minor, is the manual temperature adjusters next to the centre vents? Why does it have those when it has climate control?

It's a BMW thing so you can have just cold air on your face for example. I don't use it much but some people really like it. It's an extra feature rather than a negative. :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It is absolutely ingenious and I often question why all cars with climate control don't have a similar system.

Various German cars have it, it's not a BMW exclusive thing, although BMW choose to integrate the centre vent heat/cool control to those two vents only on all models, whereas Mercedes have a vent above the two centre vents to control that function in some models.

Man of Honour
Oh ok, I didn't realise, I assumed it's like some manual override for the climate that would affect all vents. That's actually pretty useful. Well...there goes the only negative from my list :p

Man of Honour
Oh ok, I didn't realise, I assumed it's like some manual override for the climate that would affect all vents. That's actually pretty useful. Well...there goes the only negative from my list :p

You won't find many negatives, other than the gearboxes tendancy to have you doing 1200rpm literally everywhere so any quick desire for acceleration results in the box having to downshift first. I guess it's fine really but it robs it a bit of instant response.

It'll do 50mpg on 70mph Motorway trips, too.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;30053123 said:
You won't find many negatives, other than the gearboxes tendancy to have you doing 1200rpm literally everywhere so any quick desire for acceleration results in the box having to downshift first. I guess it's fine really but it robs it a bit of instant response.

It'll do 50mpg on 70mph Motorway trips, too.

Yeah the Jag is equally as bad for that, although on my two short trips with the 530d I've noticed it to be a lot better at it. For example roundabouts, accelerating off them doesn't always see me having to drop a gear even with light acceleration which infuriates me with the XF

What are the online services advertised in the spec? Haven't had a whole lot of time to play with iDrive yet

Also are run flats still worth ditching or are they less harsh these days?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You will have BMW online which is a news and weather portal and also the BMW remote services app which unlocks the car, shows you where the car is plus Google maps send to car as well. It also has real time traffic information. You get all this until it's 3 years old.

How many miles has it done? Consider a service pack.

Man of Honour
You can renew it, yea. It's about £140 a year though.

I've never had to pay for it yet as on my last one the original owner never activated it so I got the full 3 years despite the car being 4 when I got it.

Man of Honour
How many miles a year do you do?

You can buy the Service Inclusive package before the cars first service is due (What is the mileage?). It's £800 on the 5 Series. Whether it's worth it or not depends on your annual mileage.

The package lasts 5 years or 50k from first registration. Servicing will be..

First Oil/Microfilter change @ 16k-20k* or so - £280
first brake fluid change @ 3 years - £100
Second Oil Service is a major service and is about £500 @ circa 33-40k*.
Vehicle Check is about £80, due at 37k
Third oil service - you may or may not get this, probably due around 48-54k - £280.

It also includes MOT Protect for the 2nd and 3rd MOT - which covers the cost of anything the car fails an MOT on provided it isn't glass, tyres or brake friction material.

If you get 2 services, a vehicle check and brake fluid the package only saves you about £160 but protects you against future price increases. If you manage to get the third service in, it's a much bigger saving.

It's going to depend really on the cars current mileage and how many you intend to do as to whether it's a worthy purchase. They used to put them on almost every car they registered themselves but seem to have stopped bothering. It's a shame really as its a lot cheaper if purchased before the car is 60 days old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom