Why the Virtual-Reality Hype is About to Come Crashing Down

Soldato
http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-virtual-reality-hype-is-about-to-come-crashing-down-1463976001

Why the Virtual-Reality Hype is About to Come Crashing Down

The depth and breadth of content is coming up short, appearing more like a demo than a full-fledged product
A woman wears an HTC Vive virtual-reality headset last month at an Internet conference in China. Virtual reality is so new that much of the content that will be available this year feels more like a demo than a full-fledged product.

A woman wears an HTC Vive virtual-reality headset last month at an Internet conference in China. Virtual reality is so new that much of the content that will be available this year feels more like a demo than a full-fledged product.

Makers of virtual-reality headsets think 2016 will be the year of VR. The experience “is radically different than any computing experience you’ve had before,” says Marc Metis, a vice president at HTC Corp. , maker of the Vive headset.

Content creators, however, tell a different story. VR isn’t ready for prime time.

This gap between expectations and reality means the VR hype train is about to crash into a wall.

In my experience, VR demos can be very impressive. The problem is that most are just that—demos.

As new, highly touted headsets arrive this year, how much content will be available, and how deep will these experiences be? The short answers: not much, and fairly shallow.

The reason is simple, says René Pinnell, head of Kaleidoscope VR, a production studio that hosts an international VR film festival: “The dirty little secret about VR is that the hardware has run ahead of the content.”

Virtual reality is so new that much of the content that will be available this year feels more like a demo than a full-fledged product. There are many reasons for this. For one, the business model is unclear, except for games, which can be sold through app stores such as Steam, Oculus Store and Google Play. Moreover, the paucity of content means it isn’t yet clear what works and what doesn’t.

We have seen this before. Look at the early days of television. RCA, which pioneered the technology, created NBC, the first national broadcast television network. RCA couldn’t sell its televisions without content, and the content couldn’t be delivered without RCA’s devices, so RCA did both.

Similarly, makers of VR hardware are priming the pump of VR content.
Advertisement

In June 2015, Facebook Inc. ’s Oculus, producer of the Rift headset, pledged $10 million to fund virtual-reality games. Last month, HTC promised $100 million to an “accelerator” program to create VR content and software.

“In the early days of any new hardware, it’s incumbent on the hardware manufacturer to fund the creative community,” says Anthony Batt, co-founder of VR production studio WEVR. HTC, Kaleidoscope VR and WEVR have, for example, financed a VR “music video.”

Such collaborations are promising, but they are a sign virtual reality is still in its early days. WEVR, a startup with aspirations of becoming the “HBO of VR,” hasn’t yet decided how it will make money, Mr. Batt says.

“I think we are undeniably in a hype cycle,” notes Mr. Pinnell, referring to the trajectory for new technologies described by the research firm Gartner Inc. In the hype cycle, a promising technology ascends to a peak of expectations, then descends into a “trough of disillusionment” after which it can achieve modest, sustained growth.

If Mr. Pinnell and others are right, expectations for VR soon will crater, as consumers see the hefty price tags and limitations of the early hardware—especially offerings from HTC and Oculus that also require a personal computer.

HTC’s Mr. Metis disagrees that users will be disappointed with the content available on the Vive, which launched last month. By offering developers Vive kits more than a year ago, he argues, HTC gave them ample time to create compelling games and other applications.

A spokesperson for Facebook’s Oculus said that while its Rift headset initially is targeted at gamers, they should be amply supplied with a variety of content by year’s end. More than 70 games will come from independent developers, with almost all of them funded primarily by Oculus Studios.

My recent tests of VR content on leading headsets, courtesy of Mr. Pinnell, confirmed the astonishing long-term potential of VR. Some of the experiences literally left me wobbly in the knees.

Irrational Exuberance, for the HTC Vive, puts you on the precarious edge of an asteroid floating in space, staring down at a vastness with nothing to prevent you falling into it, a trick that reliably induces vertigo in VR.

The key to these compelling VR experiences is what experts call “presence”—the illusion that you are somewhere else, instead of in a room with a computer attached to your face. It is a fragile illusion, aided by the ability to move through, and interact with, a scene, as you can most easily on HTC’s Vive.

Unfortunately, much nongame VR content, including so-called “360 video,” doesn’t support that illusion. Rather than feeling that you are in a place, experiencing an event, current 360 video tends to make you feel like your head is “in a fishbowl of video,” as Mr. Pinnell puts it. Such experiences make me fear that 360 video will be the next 3-D TV, something nobody asked for and few will use.

Presence is easier to achieve in games, because many offer full freedom of movement and interactivity. That makes me think hard-core gamers will be pleased with this first generation of VR hardware. They will be a minority, however.

The masses, especially those looking for experiences other than games, are likely to be disappointed. Mr. Pinnell thinks the disappointment will continue until 2018 or so, when the hardware will have further improved and there will be enough VR content for mainstream consumers.

The software is key. Without it, VR headsets aren’t good for much beyond gee-whiz demos.

“I always tell people VR is exciting but it’s still early, and we have to let this creative process mature,” says Mr. Batt.

He compares current VR hardware to the first iPhone, which seems apt. Consider the difference between that 2007 iPhone, before the App Store, and today’s model, which can summon a vehicle, or a meal, to your door at the touch of a button.

In the case of VR, the evolution might be quicker. “Developers have seen this movie before” says Mr. Metis of HTC. “With mobile, people vastly underestimated the pace of that software ecosystem—and I think people have learned those lessons.”

Write to Christopher Mims at [email protected]

Associate
That's probably pretty true actually.

It's such a niche product that triple A games would never be profitable unless they offered VR as a perk to the normal game but then it wouldn't take the unique properties of VR to heart.

Hopefully indie game devs can help take up the mantle. The next Minecraft type game (as in: a single dev, new gameplay mechanics, cheap and cheerful but very playable) needs to happen in VR for it to really get embedded.

Vanishing Realms and Budget cuts really make the most of VR and room scale and have left me wanting more but currently I have nothing left on my wish list.

Soldato
It really is nothing like 3D tv...

Everyone so far that has tried my rift, whether they felt sick or not, has been suitably wowed. I don't remember anyone ever really being wowed when seeing my 3D tv - least of all me! Have you actually tried it abui?

I think it's fairly obvious that the hardware runs ahead of the content - it's virtually (hah, gettit?!) impossible for it to happen any other way. Just look at console launches - the launch line up is usually pretty uninspiring and that's with the benefit of not being a new genre defining piece of kit. Not only for games either - the other content such as Netflix, Iplayer etc and social apps all tend to be missing at launch. It takes time for games consoles to build up a decent content library and yet how many PS4's and Xbox ones are out there now?

There are in actual fact quite a few games that are much more than just demos - Elite dangerous, project cars, assetto corsa, dirt rally on the way, DCS, Warthunder... All premium and in depth games that support VR. Given that he headsets only launched a month or two ago, those plus all the built for VR short games and "demos" actually make a far more compelling launch window line up than ANY console I've bought at launch.

I think certainly the buzz will start to die down for early adopters, but that's only natural. I personally believe VR is off to a healthy start (hardware shortages aside) and look forward to seeing the content mature as people get to grips with it and more headsets get out there widening the market.

Last edited:
Associate
I see VR as the possibility to basically redo all old games/genres again, bet most people could think of a old games that would be brilliant if done in VR, black & white and dungeon keeper would be amazing.

Soldato
a lot of this will come down to how much investment it gets both on a hardware and software level.

I think its safe to say that the software is seriously lacking at present, it is all just a bunch of tech demos.

If they can drive the price down and start to release viable games for it then sure, but how much money is going to be on the table for potential software companies to even try and R&D VR products, at the moment it seems hardly any.

Soldato
There is no comparison to 3DTV with this.

I have yet to show this to someone who hasn't been completely blown away. Whether or not they enjoyed it, they've been amazed. Only 1 person, my stepdad, did not enjoy it, because he got motion sickness/vertigo and felt awful. Everyone else however loved it. My mum played on my Vive for hours when I took it around to their place. She has never played a computer game in her life really.
My best mate was around at my house over the weekend having a bit of a catch up. He doesn't own a console, or a gaming PC or anything of the sort. I put him in my Rift and he was awestruck with it all. He is now trying to work out how he can afford a PC & HMD to be able to own his own.

The current level of hype will die down, it's unsustainable in the long run, but the momentum it started will continue. More content will be created, more accessible games that aren't simulation style games will be developed, price of hardware will drop, and at that point, the masses will start adopting it.

Soldato
I would love them to do the 80's TV series 'Knightmare'.

The VR version of Knightmare would be a black screen apart from a little area at the bottom of the helmet where you could see only what you were standing directly over. 3 voices would direct you via audio.

I don't really see how this would work or be fun. Surely what you actually want is just a dungeon crawler maze game?

VR is here to stay, in some form or another. the iPad was laughed at and look where we are now.

Soldato
First of all, as others have said, while VR is nothing like 3D TV in terms functionality it's also, in my opinion, won't die like a dog either.

The VR version of Knightmare would be a black screen apart from a little area at the bottom of the helmet where you could see only what you were standing directly over. 3 voices would direct you via audio.

I'm so glad someone else gets this! Peoples always seem to get this reversed in their heads as to what was going on. Their second suggestion is usually suggesting "a sword fighting game would be so good with this!"... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I totally see the point they're trying to make with this article. It's one Palmer Lucky himself made when commenting on a lot of the delays with the Rift headset itself and, in turn, the Touch controllers. Without content VR will fail.

However, I don't think it will. There's plenty of triple A games out there at the moment that stand on their own as 2D games and are brought to a whole new level with VR.

For someone that's made a cockpit for a flight sim VR is the next logical step.

For anyone that's got a racing wheel for their driving games, again, VR is a great addition.

It has its place just like any other peripheral and while it's not going to replicate or replace the uptake of MS Xbox One owners it's a fantastic performing bit of kit that is being developed on every week at the moment.

Hell, I think these people are forgetting there's people like my who have had each of the Oculus Rift development kits dating back over the last 2 years, and I'm still excited by new games and updates available almost every day.

Caporegime

I don't really see how this would work or be fun. Surely what you actually want is just a dungeon crawler maze game?

VR is here to stay, in some form or another. the iPad was laughed at and look where we are now.

Yes i get that, didn't even attempt to explain myself. I was more thinking of integrating the whole visual style of game (as seen by the people directing the player) and bung that into a one player experience, it would be a nice visual flashback for people who watched that as a kid.

Associate
Yes i get that, didn't even attempt to explain myself. I was more thinking of integrating the whole visual style of game (as seen by the people directing the player) and bung that into a one player experience, it would be a nice visual flashback for people who watched that as a kid.

I think it has merit, if you have the viewers view on a standard screen, give the hmd wearer a very minimal view but provide a small hud with pack items/health skull & multiple choice answers for communicating with the npcs, picking up the eye glass etc would be absolutely amazing

I would live in there for a very long time!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP>
A valid post, but I think that most of us early adopters already knew that.
For me, doesn't really bother me as when I get one, I'll be able to use one with ED and DCS. Also looking at Assetto C during the Steam sale.
New and innovative software that really makes use of the new capability is IMO a very "nice to have".

Man of Honour
They really need to get the control input aspect absolutely nailed down to perfection never mind the software content side of it before it will really take off - I'm yet to see any implementation that really worked with anything close to the convenience of non VR usage and for something that is going to be one of the most important aspects of actually launching it into the realworld it seems to be woefully neglected.

Soldato
They really need to get the control input aspect absolutely nailed down to perfection never mind the software content side of it before it will really take off - I'm yet to see any implementation that really worked with anything close to the convenience of non VR usage and for something that is going to be one of the most important aspects of actually launching it into the realworld it seems to be woefully neglected.

Hum, do you have either the Rift or the Vive? Neither are any problem putting on to use and most games support some kind of menu interface on screen before you start and THEN put on the headset.

The other side is that both headsets provide a fully functional "steam like" interface that you never need to leave to jump between games or you desktop.

Man of Honour
Hum, do you have either the Rift or the Vive? Neither are any problem putting on to use and most games support some kind of menu interface on screen before you start and THEN put on the headset.

The other side is that both headsets provide a fully functional "steam like" interface that you never need to leave to jump between games or you desktop.

I think you are missing the point of my criticism.

Soldato
this is like 3D technology. Might looks flashy but doesn't last for long.

I disagree only because the tech is new and it will become worthwhile once all the little niggles are ironed out. I'd love to own one but at current prices for what you get it just isn't worth it. In 5 years I see it becoming much bigger especially when the "Next-gen" console make more use of it and implement it with more people.

Back
Top Bottom