Nvidia Shield TV - causing NAS to not spin down?

Soldato
Hi All

I've just got myself a Shield TV (with the intention of using it as my Plex server when they release it) and seem to have come across a bit of a problem.

If I access my NAS (a ZyXEL 310) using plex client on the Shield, it spins up fine and streams films etc perfectly, however once I've accessed it, the hard drive never seems to spin/power down.

I've done a little testing and found that if I set the power down time to 5 minutes and unplug the Shield, exactly 5 minutes after the shield is unplugged, the hard drive powers down, and before I got the Shield, the NAS has been working perfectly and spinning down as expected, so I'm fairly confident the issue is caused by the Shield, but I'm not sure what exactly the problem is or what specifically is causing it.

Has anyone else experienced any issues like this with the Shield TV??

Soldato
Sounds like the Plex app is keeping it awake by accessing it in the background.

For what it's worth, my Synology NAS never hibernates when Plex is running.

Soldato
OP
That's pretty much what I figured too. But having posted the thread last night it seems to have sorted itself out now and the NAS is now spinning down. I wonder if I hadn't come out of the library that's located on the NAS within plex and that was causing it to stay awake?

Back
Top Bottom