1TB NVMe/M.2

Associate
I've got the 1TB SM961 and posted benchmarks here.

It definitely does make a difference in normal use over a SATA based SSD... I can even notice a difference over the SM951. It's weird becuase the SM951 didn't make much difference over my 1TB SATA 850 Evo's when it came to daily use. I'd install games and software on both drives and time how long loading/tasks took and it was almost the same, so i thought that maybe i've finally hit a CPU bottleneck or something (even though i have a 8 core I7). The SM951 just wasn't the speed increase i expected.

But the SM961 has a noticeable speed advantage over both. Some games in particular load faster (Forza 6 Apex seems to be atleast 40% faster at loading than on the SM951) and Windows 10 installed the fastest i've ever seen. PC starts up faster and wakes from sleep faster. Not had a chance to test much else yet.

If anyone wants me to bench anything i'll do it if i have time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cant wait to change my 20TB media server onto SSD (well, from a price perpective it will probably be next year at least), but at least its getting viable

Wonder if they will come up with NVM add-in cards for this purpose soon (double sided PCIE cards to have two on each side?)

Of course could always go with plain Sata SSD's but that seems soooo old hat now :)

Associate
With that new controller on board it is still not worth it. The OS and applications need to be make aware for it to really make a difference in the real world of use. Same thing with having multiple cores on the CPU and only one being used by an App.

Man of Honour
OP
Cant wait to change my 20TB media server onto SSD (well, from a price perpective it will probably be next year at least), but at least its getting viable

Wonder if they will come up with NVM add-in cards for this purpose soon (double sided PCIE cards to have two on each side?)

Of course could always go with plain Sata SSD's but that seems soooo old hat now :)

Why would you want your media server to use SSD? Surely you can't saturate you available networks bandwidth to make use of the performance increase.

Associate
20Tb of SSD for a media server will be crazy money for no benefit imo, I can think of many things I would rather have before having that kind of setup.

Associate
With that new controller on board it is still not worth it. The OS and applications need to be make aware for it to really make a difference in the real world of use. Same thing with having multiple cores on the CPU and only one being used by an App.

That's not how storage works. It's nothing like multi-threading and needing software to make use of it, with the exception of some RAID configurations.

Associate
That's not how storage works. It's nothing like multi-threading and needing software to make use of it, with the exception of some RAID configurations.

Yes you are correct MR.B but I was just making the point you will not see much in the way of gain in general real world every day use for the average user.

Soldato
Why would you want your media server to use SSD? Surely you can't saturate you available networks bandwidth to make use of the performance increase.

physical size, heat and general wear and tear on SSD's is much better than on 3.5" drives

(although admittedly I dont need nvme drives, potentially by the time I upgrade I will be streaming 4k+hi res audio so ssd's may well be beneficial in networking bandwidth too)

20Tb of SSD for a media server will be crazy money for no benefit imo, I can think of many things I would rather have before having that kind of setup.

Right now it would be, but as I said above in a year's time or more it should be a lot cheaper (plus the fact that I will hopefully not need to do it all at once, and will replace drives slowly as and when)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom