Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Associate
It took me a mission or two to figure out how to get her to move from spot to spot with the Scout / Attack options; haven't yet got anything for cover so I guess I need to bond with her some more :p

Associate
Can't believe this game doesn't support 21:9 natively. Third party fixes are being broken by the frequent patches which completely change the original codes to fix the markers etc.

Really damn annoying. :(

Soldato
Only 5% in but the game feels superb, really enjoying it. The MGS vibe is still there. It probably won't top Snake Eater as my all-round favourite in the series but in terms of gameplay it's miles ahead of its predecessors.

My only gripe is that I can't max it at 1440p because my 970 is struggling at times. Shame as it looks fantastic most of the time and I'm hesitant to turn stuff down.

Post processing on very high looks really nice but what about the effects? What changes between very high and high? This seems to be the biggest fps hog.

Suspended
New patch adds a secret to MGS was found out today..

The newest patch adds a means of getting Quiet back to your base. Replay Mission 11 7 times, non lethal take downs and extract her back to base. Mission switches from [Replay] to [Reunion] and she comes back as a buddy and is hanging around mother base in her cell.

Soldato
Just finished the first training level, the soldiers and everything are fine but do I need to know what on earth is going on with the flaming demon people and the unicorns and the ginger lunatics in gas masks and straightjackets!? Just ignoring them so far and trying to pretend that they’re not there...

Soldato
Just finished the first training level, the soldiers and everything are fine but do I need to know what on earth is going on with the flaming demon people and the unicorns and the ginger lunatics in gas masks and straightjackets!? Just ignoring them so far and trying to pretend that they’re not there...

The storyline is pure rubbish (on the odd few times it actually makes an appearance), ignoring it is probably the best strategy.

Soldato
Totally subscribe to the best stealth game ever, gameplay wise it has the best bits from all previous metal gears, plus adds nonlinearity factor which is a massive plus. The oldie SPlinter Cell Chaos Theory was also very good, but nonlinearity and the scale of the locations make MGS5 even more epic.

Any tips for beginners? Never played the games before but intrigued by the ‘best stealth game ever’ reviews.
Turn OFF the enemy markers (the "Marker Display" in game's options, it lets you see through the walls, has bright red triangles and distance markers all over the screen, etc). Do this right from the start and enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The storyline is pure rubbish
The story is typical Kojima, just like in previous MGSs. Somewhat crazy, but in a good way and never too much, fantastic characters and genius camerawork and directing - same as every MGS once again.

But even simple stories can be special in MGS, eg the intro to Ground Zeroes

Just truly artist's work - the angles, the cuts, its a pleasure to watch :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Any tips for beginners? Never played the games before but intrigued by the ‘best stealth game ever’ reviews.

Oh yeah, another tip is to start with the MGS Ground Zeros, before the MGS Phantom Pain :) Its a relatively short level (couple of hours?), but its really cool.

Soldato
The story is typical Kojima, just like in previous MGSs. Somewhat crazy, but in a good way and never too much, fantastic characters and genius camerawork and directing - same as every MGS once again.

The characters were boring and two-dimensional, and the storyline itself simply wasn't delivered in a compelling way. Instead of pushing the game forward, it's just delivered as occasional snippets either via boring cassette tapes or the odd cutscene sandwiched between repetitive missions.

They went out of their way to make the game open and provide freedom of choice and completely lost the ability to control or deliver the narrative properly as a result. Total disaster in my opinion, saved only by the superb gameplay before that eventually started to grind.

Caporegime
Hmm, have ignored this thread so far, as I've not had time to play.

Now I'm reading there is forced PvP, which if you don't participate in, you will lose the single player game? Or you cannot complete it?

Basically you have to grind resources from the PvP to beat the SP game? Something called FOB?

I'm scared now. Hold me. I hate PvP games and don't play them at all. Am I boned?

Caporegime
Well I'm trying not to spoil the game so I'm just skim reading stuff :p

But I get the impression that the game makes you build this FOB thing, which then allows other MGS5 players to raid you, taking away progress you've made in the SP game? So you have to redo stuff?

Tbh, I'm a tad confused about it. But I hear that you can block MGS from accessing the 'net to stop this?

Associate
Well I'm trying not to spoil the game so I'm just skim reading stuff :p

But I get the impression that the game makes you build this FOB thing, which then allows other MGS5 players to raid you, taking away progress you've made in the SP game? So you have to redo stuff?

Tbh, I'm a tad confused about it. But I hear that you can block MGS from accessing the 'net to stop this?
You'll be fine. You can build that first FOB (like the tutorial) then never bother with it again. Just don't invade anyone.

I never got raided once. It's pretty good to stay online though, you get daily bonuses and online storage for GMP/resources - which surprisingly stores a lot.

If you really don't want to, decline the EULA at the start (may not pop up again if you've already accepted), or just unplug your net so it boots you off and then plug it in again.

Soldato
You also have options to secure your FOB to make it less appealing to anyone wanting to raid it. I completed all main missions of the game without having anyone raid my FOB and guess you are only really a target if you leave it vulnerable or start raiding other people's. I must admit I was really annoyed about being forced into PvP when I realised what was happening but it turned out to be a non event for me and the few other people I know who have played the game and didn't want to go down that route.

Caporegime
Right well, after four hours, I still haven't managed the first mission :p Just trying to figure the AI out. I swear I'm getting spotted a lot by stuff that's round corners, yet sometimes I can sneak right past a soldier's nose in plain view with no cover. I must not be understanding the rules of stealth yet.

Using his mechanical arm to lure an enemy toward you... how is that supposed to help? There doesn't appear to be a way to do a takedown from behind cover.... so, useless?

Also I *hate* how if I restart a checkpoint, all the enemies stay marked. This feels like cheating, and means I have to restart the mission instead, losing a lot more progress. I wish there was a way to clear marked enemies when you reload a checkpoint, but there isn't :( It's lame. Especially because I'm trying to do this without killing soldiers, or being spotted (proper stealth).

Back
Top Bottom