Steam Link and Steam Controller now available to Pre Order

Caporegime
Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/?snr=1_620_4__45

Steam Controller: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/?snr=1_620_4__45

I'm not really fussed by the controller as the 360 controller is supported by almost every game that matters, but the Steam Link is interesting. If it can deliver solid 1080p gaming over a GB LAN then I may well jump in on that. Ive yet to get In Home Streaming working properly however, so I don't hold out much hope.

At least my GF would stop complaining about the 15m HDMI cable running through the house!

Soldato
The pad looks very interesting. I'll wait for some proper user reviews before buying one though. Could help to bridge the gap for playing casual fps games on the couch if it works as well as they say it does.

Soldato
Tempted by the Steam Link - I've tried using their streaming to a Raspberry Pi II and it actually worked pretty well (in terms of actual gaming, latency etc)... though it had a few general quirks and wasn't quite what I would consider stable and easy to use enough to become a permanent fixture... I would have thought the Steam Link would perform the same but hopefully without the little annoyances

Not totally convinced by the pad for FPS but who knows - I was thinking more of lying back on the couch using it to play a marathon Civ V or XCOM game you'd normally want a mouse for

Soldato
I don't know what it is about the steam controller but it just doesn't have a premium feel. I think it might be the gloss plastic. But also there's a lot of just blank space. The Steam button looks small and uninteresting. Like a 3rd party madcatz controller.

Plus £40... I might just hold off for MS to release a wireless adapter for the Xbox one controller and grab that.

Soldato
I know what you mean about the look, but I doubt this will be a cheapo pad like a mad catz, those have no R&D put into them and are just cheap copies of the official pads but using cheaper components. If the trackpads work as well as they say this could be a big step forward.

One thing i'd like to know is how well the dpad will work on fighting games.

Soldato
I wonder if OCUK will be stocking these for pre-order ?

It does mention in their blurb that High street retailers will.....fingers crossed

On the store page there is a link to a high street store selling them, not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name? If you follow the link to that store it does say "only at *storename*", so guess they have exclusivity?

Not sure about the controller myself, in theory I really shouldn't want one, I rarely use a controller and don't care about playing in front of a TV, but very curious to see what its like and think it looks great. Maybe not £40 curious though.

Associate
Hmmm I'm interested in both.......I have my main PC in living room with the pc and have tried a HDMI cables to the TV but its always such a hassle to swap main display and sound over.....so the streaming option sounds like it might be good.....

Caporegime
OP
It says the Steam Link supports the 360 Wireless Controller. I assume that would be by plugging the Wireless Receiver into the link rather than 'natively' supporting the wireless communication, but as I already own 2 Receivers and 2 Wireless 360 pads, the Steam controller is rather redundant.

Does it only support a 100meg network connection?

I did just spot that. Its a massive let down if true :(

Associate
I wont be rushing out to buy the pad even though it looks pretty damn cool. I just don't have any real use for it at all.

Associate
Pretty sure the Steam Link has a gigabit network port but doesn't have wireless AC.

Might be wrong though.

the hardware description on the pre-order page says different?
earlier info had gigabit ports and usb 3.0 but on the steam page now its 100mb and usb 2.0

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom