Little worried about O/C OEM drives

Associate
I am just about to buy a 4TB WD Black drive from here but notice the drive is OEM, if i'm not mistaken that means my warranty is with OC not WD can anyone confirm if i'm right and if so how do OC measure up when making a claim so 4 years later?

All1

Associate
Hi again All1.

Basically tom_e is correct. If it's a bare drive (not part of a computer or a different system) then we should cover the warranty for the drive. E.g. If the drive is OEM and came with a pre-build computer - the warranty is covered by the computer manufacturer and/or retailer you got it from. However, since you're getting a bare drive the OEM in this case is WD and the warranty should be covered by us and/or OcUK as well.

Here's a link where you can find out more about our warranty policy: Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations

Please let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!
Boogieman_WD

Associate
Hi again All1.

Basically tom_e is correct. If it's a bare drive (not part of a computer or a different system) then we should cover the warranty for the drive. E.g. If the drive is OEM and came with a pre-build computer - the warranty is covered by the computer manufacturer and/or retailer you got it from. However, since you're getting a bare drive the OEM in this case is WD and the warranty should be covered by us and/or OcUK as well.

Here's a link where you can find out more about our warranty policy: Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations

Please let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!
Boogieman_WD

Why does the WDC site not allow you to register the OEM drives then if WD covers the warranty? I also raised this with UK WDC support a few months ago with covering receipts and they just pointed me to O/C again?

Associate
OP
Why does the WDC site not allow you to register the OEM drives then if WD covers the warranty? I also raised this with UK WDC support a few months ago with covering receipts and they just pointed me to O/C again?
Good point the drive that has died is coming up as an OEM drive and i could not register this myself but just an email back fro WD saying not to worry my Green is still in warranty and they will replace FOC so it seems WD are still happy to honour the warranty.

All1

Associate
Glad that everything worked out fine for you @all1.

@ToTheMax, would you please send me the product number and the serial number of the drive you're talking about to socialmediabg7[at]wdc.com, as this is confidential information and should not be posted publicly.

I'll try to check it out and get back to you.

Associate
Hey again, sorry for the double post, but since I've not received the P/N and the S/N yet, I wanted to inform you that I'll be away next week. So you could send those details to socialmediabg8[at]wdc.com. She's a colleague of mine, but she has no registration here, so your communication will go through e-mail. I'll update the thread once I'm back. You can refer to her as SuperSoph_WD. :)

Sorry if that causes any sort of inconvenience.

Associate
Hey again, sorry for the double post, but since I've not received the P/N and the S/N yet, I wanted to inform you that I'll be away next week. So you could send those details to socialmediabg8[at]wdc.com. She's a colleague of mine, but she has no registration here, so your communication will go through e-mail. I'll update the thread once I'm back. You can refer to her as SuperSoph_WD. :)

Sorry if that causes any sort of inconvenience.

I've just sent an email to yourself and socialmediabg8 with the full details of the WDC support case. It has the drive details, S/N, and attached receipt PDF. Any questions let me know.

Regards.

Associate
Sorry for the big delay. I'm back (I was off for a week). We've double-checked and really does appear as those drives (the ones for which I have received the S/Ns from ToTheMax) are OEM HDDs and not bare drives.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry for the big delay. I'm back (I was off for a week). We've double-checked and really does appear as those drives (the ones for which I have received the S/Ns from ToTheMax) are OEM HDDs and not bare drives.

but all the resellers advertise them as OEM but to the consumer they are bare drives, are you confirming the warranty is still the same but fulfilled either by the retailer or WD

ie std retailer info
WD
Blue 4TB 5400rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (40EZRZ)

And is this still applicable to OEM/bare drives?
Upgrade and Backup with Ease
WD hard drives come with free access to WD Acronis True Image. Our downloadable software quickly copies all your existing data to your new drive – without reinstalling your operating system. Backup and restore functions make it easy to save and retrieve your personal data.

Associate
In most cases retailers tend to stick to the official warranty period for each model as shown on our website. However, for OEM drives that depends solely on the vendor and I can't confirm the period. If you get a drive which shows up as OEM here: Warranty Status, then the warranty is not covered by WD and you should get in touch with the retailer for more information.

As for Acronis True Image, I guess you are referring to Acronis True Image WD Edition Software. This is a version of Acronis which should work with all WD drives (OEM included). Acronis True Image WD Edition Software "Instructions: You need at least one WD hard drive attached in your system to be able to install and run the product."

Back
Top Bottom