A Wierd Samsung 961

Associate
An odd one, it will only boot in Legacy mode, in fact it only does anything in Legacy mode, in UEFI it's not even seen, but it's listed as NVME and needed the driver.

Anyone had this problem ?

Associate
OP
Windows 7 x64 Not a fan of Win 10, EVGA Micro2 X99 I7 5930.

Dunno why it's doing this, setting to UEFI is no boot, just goes back to Bios screen.

Set to Legacy works fine.

Soldato
Windows 7 x64 Not a fan of Win 10, EVGA Micro2 X99 I7 5930.

Dunno why it's doing this, setting to UEFI is no boot, just goes back to Bios screen.

Set to Legacy works fine.

Not being patronising or anything. But you did do a uefi install for windows ? (Ie. Gpt rather than legacy BIOS).

Associate
OP
I tried the install with UEFI, but it would not work, the only way I got it to work was to add the Samsung driver to a current install then clone it to the new drive, but it will only run in Legacy mode, I had thought an NVME drive, would not work in that mode the drive runs fine in Legacy.

Drive is running around 2600 Read 1500 Write

I was using a SM951 ACHI M.2 drive before, just thought I'd have a change :)

Soldato
So you installed it in legacy / MBR mode. Think you've answered your own question.

As you have obviously already found out, windows 7 does not have native nvme drivers. Hence why you had to add them manually.

If it boots and works ok. Then I would just leave it "as is" myself. Until you at some point take the plunge and move to windows 10. Which with a few tweaks, can be made to pretty much look / feel like windows 7 should you wish. Had windows 10 pretty much from day one myself and have had zero real issues with it.

Associate
OP
The puzzle is :) I thought NVME drives had to be installed via UEFI seems not, I was thinking the drive may have a fault.

Tried Win 10 way too much spyware and services running even if you spend time and turn a lot off, It just seems more of a one product does all OS, I never saw any advantage over 7, well apart from NVME support during install :)

Soldato
The puzzle is :) I thought NVME drives had to be installed via UEFI seems not, I was thinking the drive may have a fault.

Tried Win 10 way too much spyware and services running even if you spend time and turn a lot off, It just seems more of a one product does all OS, I never saw any advantage over 7, well apart from NVME support during install :)

So did I.

I know there was some sort of "hotfix" issued by Microsoft to address native support for nvme in Windows 7 at one point. Maybe this got released as a general OS update for Windows 7 at one point!? Just guessing here.

But hey... if it works. Just bask in the delight of the superb speeds of these drives.

I'm currently waiting for the retail version of the SM961 (probably to be called the 960 pro) to appear. Then I may buy one, more out of interest, than thinking it will make any earth shattering difference. No pockets in a shroud... as I'm want to say :)

Associate
OP
Yes there is a Hotfix but it never helped, it's running on a MS 2006 driver, and refuses to use the Samsung driver, Samsung software cannot even see the drive, it's quite amusing.

Changing from the slower M2 drive shows no difference in normal use, only if you Benchmark it, I'll probably go for the Retail one as well mainly because it has a nicer sticker
:)

Associate
What speed is it running at?
I've had no issues with my SM961 (using Win 10) which is something I couldn't say about my SM951. Which is currently sitting in my NUC, running Open Elec, as It failed so many times I just don't trust it. Even after it was RMA'd.

Soldato
What speed is it running at?
I've had no issues with my SM961 (using Win 10) which is something I couldn't say about my SM951. Which is currently sitting in my NUC, running Open Elec, as It failed so many times I just don't trust it. Even after it was RMA'd.

See post #5 (for speed query).

Luck of the draw as to reliability (as I'm sure you are aware).

My first SM951 failed after only a couple of days. Eventually got my money back from this one. Then bought another from OCuk this time and that's been 100% fine for several months now.

The OP is running Windows 7 and that I suspect has been the route cause of his problems.

Associate
Ahh. Missed that. Running a bit slow then.

To be honest. Since the RMA my 951 has been faultless. Not sure if it's just the fact I'm now using about 128Mb out of the available 512Gb but I suppose I'll never know :)

Associate
OP
Well this drives got me beat, it will not run in UEFI / NVME mode at all, but works in Legacy mode, spent ages trying, seems pointless as I already have an M.2 ACHI version.

I thought it would not work in Legacy unless it's some sort of protype thing :)

Back
Top Bottom