SSD TO REPLACE OLD HDD

Caporegime
2.5 inch Samsung evos are very highly rated and will plug straight into sata3 with no fuss.

Tbh an ssd of any type will blow you away and with 100 quid you can easily get a 250gb.

If you can go over 100 quid look at 450gb lower end ones.
Especially when big retailers do deal of the day offers
Saying low end is a bit of a misnomer as it's still a massive improvement.

The difference between high end sata 3 and lower end is just reliability and fractions of seconds better performance. You have to go into big money before you see any real impressive jumps in speed and your budget is way out there. Don't be scared about reliability. It's not like lesser cheaper brands break after a year or 2 use. But I f you are storing super critical stuff you probably wouldn't want an ssd atall.

Do you know what motherboard you have? Is it deffo sata 3 6g ? What CPU is it that should give a guide.

Last edited:
Associate
Evo's are great value, I never noticed much difference if any during normal desktop day to day use between the Evo and Pro, my kids have the Evo in an old LGA 775 kit and it's still a huge upgrade.

I think as has been said, there is very little between many in day to day use, most differences in benchmarks being barely noticeable to the average user at home. Reliability is probably better than ever as we don't see a huge amount of complaints even with regard to budget SSD's when reading various website after sale reviews.

I take it it's an old system with that old drive, Serial ATA-300 spec yes? Sure I have 2x500 and 2x1tb of those still in the loft, the HDD of choice for the budget concious before SSD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom