Need help installing new SSD

Associate
Hi Guys, wonder if I could ask probably quite a silly question. I've just bought a new Sandisk Ultra 2 SSD 960gb as I am running out of space on my 1tb HD and 128gb SSD (Windows install). The problem is I cannot see any spare Sata or power cables to hook it up and no way to secure it properly in the case :confused:, are there extension cables for Sata to hook up multiple devices? Or is just one lead per device?

I got this pc originally from OCuK.

Thanks, photos Added so you guys can see what I see, right click on them and open in new tab.

s!AtMS4J2vDiKxhECuBMlYylThPzBh

s!AtMS4J2vDiKxhEHDyOr74fl4DMUq

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll probably need to buy a sata cable to plug it into the motherboard, and then find a spare sata power connector on the power supply.

Associate
Hi Killian.

If you don't have enough SATA cables, just as @AiiR has mentioned, you'll have to get them for the drive.
For some reason I can't see any pictures, however, if you don't have 2.5" bays in your case, you'll probably have to get a mounting kit/brackets in order to mount the drive properly to a 3.5" drive bay.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Soldato
Hi there,

You should definitely have a SATA-POWER cable there somewhere, can you see which one is plugged into your existing HDD ? Is this MOLEX (4 pins) or flat-looking?

If you follow that cable there might (should) be 3 other connectors on that cable before it gets back to the PSU itself.

You would need a bracket to fit it in a 3.5" bay, however, it's an SSD therefore it can float around, just be careful when moving it :)

Associate
For power, you should look at that rats nest of cables near the hard drives since if the PSU has two power cables for SATA power then the lower one should have a connector spare and if not you can get a molex to SATA power adapter since you have a few molex power connectors with nothing connected to them.

You will, obviously, need to buy a SATA data cable to connect it since you'll only get a limited number with the motherboard and you will as well have to get a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter bracket to mount the new SSD into the case since it doesn't seem to support 2.5" drives.

Also, do make sure you link to an actual image when using the image tags as using non direct links to images will only leave people scratching their heads as to where the images are.

Back
Top Bottom