*** Official Dota 2 Thread ***

Caporegime
UygyC.jpg

Dota 2 Official website - http://blog.dota2.com/

Dota2 Wiki - http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Dota_2_Wiki

Dota 2 development forums - http://dev.dota2.com/

The other thread lacks info available to new people so thought I'd make a new one and hopefully gather more interest on the game here.

Getting Started

There is an absolute tonne of information to take in to learn how to play Dota competently and for some people to start enjoying it to a certain degree, but it is definitely worth the effort as the reward through enjoyment/fun I simply don't get from many/if any other game.

A brief 4 minute video on the objectives and what exists inside the game

Guides

Along with reading Purge's guide this video seems very informative with a quick scan through it and someone has posted it was very good :)

This guide by Purge is probably the one I would recommend most for reading, it breaks down the basics and goes in to some of the more advanced stuff as well. I'd also recommend having your game open and going into a bot game so you can see all the items he talks about or even opening and closing new bot games to see the heroes he recommends and their skills.

You can give yourself maximum level and gold by using the cheat mode function which you turn on in the game settings in a custom game.

Here is a link to the cheat commands, if you want to test out stuff whilst reading the guide you want to use the commands '-lvlup 25' and '-gold 16000', these commands work by just typing them in chat with cheat mode on.

Once you have got to grips with the basics and are ready to start playing vs real people, you can read up in depth guides on each hero or if you choose to play different heroes each game there is this website -
http://www.dota2alttab.com/
It has very basic guides on each hero and I wouldn't live by those guides but they are a decent starting place if you really don't have a clue. The recommended items to buy inside the game which you will see are also reasonably good most of the time.

Watching Dota 2

Watching Dota2 can be one of the best ways to help learn and improve at Dota2 by watching tutorials or just watching players much better than you.(Mainly pros.)

There are many places to watch Dota 2

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Dota 2 is good for watching popular streamers, own3d is also a decent site.

http://www.dotacinema.com/ has many introductions to heroes and some guides via videos.

There is also the 'Learn' tab in the game itself with text and videos explaining games.

The Competitive Scene

Watching Dota2 competitive play some people find more enjoyable than playing the game itself and will rarely play but watch a lot, as above twitch/own3d are the best places to watch.

www.joindota.com/ is also another great place to watch competitive games/see schedules and results and casted by many peoples favourite - Tobi.

You can also install this chrome addon, which has a list of most streamers currently streaming Dota 2 - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dota-2-stream-browser/cnhfhjlfbaehncgjfnleejhehimhleip

VODs
Tobi Wan Kenobi
Purge

Following tournaments can be done here

Also in the game you can watch tournaments by buying certain tickets and watch the vods in the client with a choice of commentators, some are also free such at The International 2.

Here are some videos of great team fights and moments of Dota 2 which have been very entertaining to watch.

Who Plays

So a list of people from OcUK who play hopefully can be built here

Purdy
Just add me and I'll invite to the guild, too many people for a list.

There is also the OcUK channel in the client, join it.

I'd also recommend joining UK Dotaand their channel in game for some people who speak english to play with and are willing to work as a team.
TeamLiquid channel is also good for getting people.

Other

Patch Notes/Content Analysis

Pretty much every week there is a patch in some shape or form, these notes can always be found at dev.dota2.com early before posted at http://www.dota2.com/news/updates/ officially.

A great content analysis is always done every week by Cyborgmatt - http://www.ongamers.com/dota-2/6000-1/news/

Trading

Trading items works pretty much identically to TF2.

Best places for trading are as follows.

http://dota2traders.com/forum/
http://www.reddit.com/r/dota2trade

Be careful and make sure you don't trade an item for a lot less than its value, some worth in excess of £100.

Giveaway

I'll be trying to give away at least 3 keys this week, just post in the thread that you are interested in a key and please fully intend to at least try the game for more than one match, there are free ARTS's similar enough to know if you like them you can try for free - LoL/HoN.
I'll try getting the keys sorted ASAP and will be handing them out Friday/Saturday.

OcUK In-House learning

If enough people are interested (ideally 8) we can set up inhouses where we have two captains (two more experienced dota players) helping newer people with the game whilst playing against each other as it is daunting as **** going to play solo when everyone is calling you a feeding faggot or abusing you in russian.

For this to work people would need to read material before hand to get an idea of what is goin to go on and pick a hero they would like to play before hand so they can get to grips before playing the in house so it goes smoothly, hopefully from this we could form some groups that play regularly and have some good games.

Ideally a captain will be able to help with decision making, item choices based on how the game is going, where to go and when, lane setups and general play if everyone has read up on the basics, maybe no one is interested on this but I continually see people pushed away due to the ****** community and learning curve so this could help.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Who Plays

So a list of people from OcUK who play hopefully can be built here

There is also the OcUK channel in the client, join it.

I'd also recommend joining UK Dotaand their channel in game for some people who speak english to play with and are willing to work as a team.
TeamLiquid channel is also good for getting people.

EDIT: Adding in the above info. so it is more separate for people to find others who play

Just to highlight if you didn't bother reading.

There is a give away near the bottom of the page and a Dota 2 Inhouse group for OcUK to help learn hopefully if interest is decent.

Also post your steam page so I can add the link to the list of people from here who play.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP has never been updated for one, and purdy actually plays the game so would get updated more, hopefully get more people interested in it then.

Permabanned
OP has never been updated for one, and purdy actually plays the game so would get updated more, hopefully get more people interested in it then.

True but as with the other games that actually require active braincells there's not much interest =/

Anyhow, I've got 2 spare accounts for DotA2 so if anyone is interested then let me know. I've had a few people here borrow accounts before (clartymarty being the only one whose name I can recall)

What are wrong with your existing eyes (the ones which can't quite read)?

Wow, quite a sarcy reply for someone who is supposedly trying to help people lol.

Your post would have been no different if it had been at the end of the existing DotA2 thread.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Wow, quite a sarcy reply for someone who is supposedly trying to help people lol.

Your post would have been no different if it had been at the end of the existing DotA2 thread.

Yeah but I'm used to what your posts are like :)

Also yeah, and if the page had changed people wouldn't likely see it, on the other hand being the front page and a new thread hopefully it will gather more interest.

I mean most played game on steam daily, but you have a valid point in it actually requiring a braincell, UK players seem to suck at remotely challenging games, hopefully with the helpful OP and willing to help people learn in matches together it can have a place on this forum.

Associate
loving DOTA 2, the more I play the more I see just how deep the rabbit warren goes. Im starting to think this is the best team based multiplayer game ever, which also happens to be the most interesting to watch, I can see this when its released as being valves greatest hour and the most played game in the world.

Permabanned
Yeah but I'm used to what your posts are like :)

Also yeah, and if the page had changed people wouldn't likely see it, on the other hand being the front page and a new thread hopefully it will gather more interest.

I mean most played game on steam daily, but you have a valid point in it actually requiring a braincell, UK players seem to suck at remotely challenging games, hopefully with the helpful OP and willing to help people learn in matches together it can have a place on this forum.

Well tbh all I can say is **** you Purdy you SOB. :mad::mad::mad: :D

I don't think it's just UK gamers. Western Culture is lazy and not many people seem to be interested in playing a game that requires sinking time into it to get good and requires understanding.

Caporegime
OP
Many American players/Europeans as well as teams, granted they aren't as good as the Chinese and Na'Vi but the UK sucks. I mean name one top player for any game to come out of the UK.

Permabanned
Many American players/Europeans as well as teams, granted they aren't as good as the Chinese and Na'Vi but the UK sucks. I mean name one top player for any game to come out of the UK.

SC2
Dignitas Bling
EG Demuslim
Dignitas JonnyREcco
WW.Ziktomini

=)

Can't name any for any other games (I forget the names of the CoD4 Dignitas players of the great ages)

Caporegime
OP
Who have got big tournament results :p

dApollo prolly better than those SC2 ones if he actually played a pro routine

Permabanned
Who have got big tournament results :p

dApollo prolly better than those SC2 ones if he actually played a pro routine

JonnyRecco did good in TSL4 and beat Major and Naniwa. Close games against Keen also.

Demuslim is somewhat gimmicky I've always felt.

Ziktomini won WCS UK Finals.

Bling is Bling XD

Apollo is absolutely horrid if you've ever watched him stream, he'll just cheese and lose most of the time.

EDIT: On a further note, this thread has been hijacked. I suggest you rename it to "The Official 'Needs more than 2 braincells' game thread"

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
JonnyRecco was impressive but lets see him at a LAN and going far. As for the others they just aren't up there, I mean christ idrA could probably manage to beat most of them still.

Permabanned
JonnyRecco was impressive but lets see him at a LAN and going far. As for the others they just aren't up there, I mean christ idrA could probably manage to beat most of them still.

Demuslim beats IdrA on stream a lot of the time and has done so multiple times at MLGs.

I agree though, KR > Asia > EU > US > UK > SEA

Yes yes Tune, let us talk about DotA2 :p

Back
Top Bottom