RAID 0 System: "Missing Operating System" message at boot up? : HELP!!

Soldato
Hi,

A neighbour gave me his Dell Dimension 9200 to have a look at.

Upon booting up, it detects the 2 320Gb hard drives in RAID 0 as working normally, but after that a message pops up saying "Missing Operating System" and it goes no further.

Not having dealt with a Dimension 9200, I said I could remove the hard drives and back up his data, pictures, docs etc.

And then upon getting the PC home and starting on it, I discovered it had this RAID 0 array in it.

Never dealt with a RAID based PC before, so I'm kinda lost.

As far as the booting up problem goes, any ideas how to fix this "Missing Operating System"?. I've Googled it but there's not much info around relating to RAID systems displaying this message.

And then to Data recovery. I've used a few of my usual apps to attempt to recover the files, however I'm not really sure what drive out of the two I should be attempting to recover from?. So far, Restorer 2000 and Easeus can find the Documents folder with the important images in it and it appears to recover them all fine, but upon trying to open any of the JPEG files, 99% of them say they cannot be opened and are corrupt.

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, they are both Samsung Spinpoints - 320Gb each. Thats the only 2 drives in the system, aside from the optical drives.

I've got the boot order set to boot from the RAID array first, CD-ROM second.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Sounds like a really borked OS.

And you'll need to recover from both drives at the same time, as most files will be split between the two. How are you accessing the drives?

Soldato
The drives will have to hooked up the controller and working to get anything off of them. Boot the system using some form of livecd environment or do a new install onto another drive and have a look.

Soldato
OP
And you'll need to recover from both drives at the same time, as most files will be split between the two. How are you accessing the drives?

Ah, yeah - thought as much.

At first I was removing the drives and hooking them up via an external enclosure to my laptop, then running the recovery applications on the laptop and accessing the drives from there.

I've tried using a MiniPE bootdisc, but upon booting it asks me to press F6 if I need to install a third party RAID driver, but then goes on to ask me to insert a floppy when I choose that option. Trying to boot the MiniPE disc without pressing F6 results in a BSOD shortly after.

I am managing to use Prosoft Data Rescue in its "bootable" form but it lists both the Samsung drives after it scans for drives. I'm not sure how to recover from both drives ( at the same time? ).

Plus, when I set my destination drive as my spare 160Gb Maxtor hooked up in an external enclosure via USB to my neighbours PC, it gives the message "Cannot Mount Drive ( sdd1 ) ".

Soldato
OP
Oh dear.

The Dell doesn't have a floppy drive. :eek:

As far as moving the drives over to an Intel based desktop, yeah, my own desktop system is pretty much the same spec as the neighbours Dell is, although mine doesn't run a RAID setup.

Soldato
Oh dear.

As far as moving the drives over to an Intel based desktop, yeah, my own desktop system is pretty much the same spec as the neighbours Dell is, although mine doesn't run a RAID setup.

BartPE and add the drivers if they're not there, it's easy (Google).

Does your mobo support RAID? If so then you can possibly access the array as you tend to be able to migrate between Intel systems. I would only do this as last resort though just in case.

Associate
Hiya,

Got raid 0 2x500 WD's on the abit ip35 pro

I randomly get that error/problem

I reboot and press F8 loads of times ;) and boot into safe-mode, Dunno how it works but it does

Then reboot from windows icon and hey presto i'm back in normal mode running fine again lol

Maybe my raid driver is fubar

Soldato
OP
You got the same "Missing Operating System" message m8?.

I've tried booting into safe mode on this Dell, but it seems to be no matter when I tap or hold F8 down upon switching it on, it doesn't boot into safe mode. I know some systems can be a bit fussy about exactly when you begin/end tapping or holding F8, so maybe I'm just not catching it at the right moment.

Soldato
OP
Well, I've had to admit defeat on this one. :(

I managed to get Prosoft Data Rescue to recover files from the actual ill PC itself whilst both drives were connected to the RAID controller, but upon checking what I had recovered, almost all of the pictures are sort of "split in half" with the top half being fine but the bottom half being just a blurry mess of colours and jaggy graphics.

@Cob...You say I need to recover from "both drives at the same time".

Does that mean what I've already tried? - I.E. Whilst they are connected to the RAID controller or is there some sort of way I need to be recovering from the drives simultaneously whilst using the recovery software?. As I cant see an option in any of the data recovery apps I have to do that ( most let you specify 1 target drive to recover from and some sort of external or independant means/drive as the destination to recover to ).

Associate
Hiya,

Yeah sorry for late reply

Yep the same message

Weird how mine works fine and yours don't

Had this happen 5 times now i guess, Lastime was maybe 10-14days ago

Random as i say so no doubt it will occur again

The f8 i hammer like a madman until safe etc options pop up

Well sorry it never helped but was worth a try

Soldato
You can't recover anything useful by treating disks in a RAID0 array separately as data is split over both. They need to be connected to the controller in an array.

The link Cob provides has some good info.

Gav

Gav

Associate
an old system i had done this now and then. I used to boot using the windows disc and then repair the installation. you do need a floppy and a driver disk for the raid controller though.

Associate
Firstly is RAID 0 still enabled in the BIOS?!
Oh dear.

Can you not use the floppy drive from your system or borrow one?

Hitting F8 on start up is not going to fix your issue (and quite frankly, using a system that randomly plays up like that with RAID is just asking for trouble)

The link that Cob provides is the best way to go, although I do feel that you might be slightly out of your depth as you've never installed anything with RAID yourself.
an old system i had done this now and then. I used to boot using the windows disc and then repair the installation. you do need a floppy and a driver disk for the raid controller though.
Again, useful advice here. Try using the Windows OS to boot into the recovery console (making sure you load the RAID drivers) and try running scandisk. If that doesn't work, try to install a new installation of Windows - and select the repair option once Windows has examined you disk.

Last edited:
Soldato
If all else (and I mean all else) fails, and this is a Windows XP computer you can do a repair install of XP over the top, this will keep all (undamaged) files intact but replace all of the windows gubbins (bootloader etc). Google is your friend on this one as there are some good guides out there.

You can then login with his username and password and get all the data off the drive(s) as it sounds like a disk in the array has died (and when a disk dies in RAID 0 both may as well have).

This is why backups are important, and if your friend uses RAID 0 for ANYTHING other than an OS and throwaway files (e.g. game installs) he needs to be schooled that his risk of losing data is doubled.

Soldato
OP
No m8, its Vista Home Premium it's running.

Anyhow, before I returned the PC to its owner, I tried a different approach.

Rather than attempt to recover the data using the methods already mentioned, I used a Vista Recovery Disc and selected the "Repair my Computer" option.

It ran through a couple of things then restarted. I tapped F8 and up came the Safe Mode menu. Started in Safe Mode and booted into Windows desktop.

I found all the files I needed to recover, plugged in an external USB hard drive and copied them across.

The owner was quite happy with that, thankfully.

Now when I restart the system, it doesn't give me the "Missing Operating System" message. It boots to the Welcome screen but when I click the logon icon for the owner, I get a message popping up saying "SLUI.exe : The application failed to initialise properly".

I think this is something to do with user account and Windows activation etc but so far I've not worked it out fully.

Back
Top Bottom