• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
the computex conference on the 1st of June is stating its going to be the launch of the 7th Gen APU so we should get more details on Bristol Ridge and maybe some better Zen info.

Soldato
I'm not sure if AMD will talk about Zen, Polaris or Vega in detail unless they are ready to launch. Nvidia have priced themselves out of the market and Intel just have more of the same in Broadwell-E.

Soldato
Need more of these. Even though it is well put, haters gonna hate! :cool:

Yes Humbug's post was very good and makes a lot of sense. Seems like AMD gambled big. Reminds me of the 64 bit Athlon I had years before 64bit software was a thing. Great they lead the way but not so great for the balance sheet. You can be too far ahead of your time!

If Zen is more Intel like that will be a good thing. More competitive and less reason not to buy AMD.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I bought my first AMD when I switched from a 500mhz Pentium 3 to a 1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird.

I didnt jump on the next AMD success with the 64-bit for whatever reason in life but I will plump for whatever is the best value CPU at the time I am buying. Same when I get GPU's.

At the end of the day if AMD cannot offer anything then its a sad market where you have to just buy intel as they are renown for not dropping to a fair price even if they dominate the market.

Soldato
I bought my first AMD when I switched from a 500mhz Pentium 3 to a 1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird.

I didnt jump on the next AMD success with the 64-bit for whatever reason in life but I will plump for whatever is the best value CPU at the time I am buying. Same when I get GPU's.

At the end of the day if AMD cannot offer anything then its a sad market where you have to just buy intel as they are renown for not dropping to a fair price even if they dominate the market.

I stuck with Intel when I upgraded by Pentium 700mhz even though AMD wiped the floor with Intel.

I briefly tried an AMD 1800 64 bit which I found very unstable and nothing to write home about in the terms of performance.

After that I went Pentium Q6600.

However recently I went back to AMD with the FX6300. I know it is not up to Intel performance standards but I am still using it, it runs everything well and is a fraction of the price of its Intel equivalent.

Fort people like me who don't have many hundreds of pounds to spend on a processor AMD have seriously impressed me.

Soldato
So where does 40% higher IPC over their previous CPU's put them in the grand scale of things?
Impossible to tell really. We don't know what iteration of the current architecture they're using as a base for that claim. They've actually made some very decent IPC gains even on the current Bulldozer-based architecture, but they've been locked away inside budget chips that are so crippled in other ways that it's irrelevant, like the Athlon X4 845.

Caporegime
Impossible to tell really. We don't know what iteration of the current architecture they're using as a base for that claim. They've actually made some very decent IPC gains even on the current Bulldozer-based architecture, but they've been locked away inside budget chips that are so crippled in other ways that it's irrelevant, like the Athlon X4 845.

Worst case would be Vishera, which is about 60% of Haswell, so + 40% = 85% of Haswell.

But there have been many revisions of AMD CPU's since then, the current crop of AMD CPU's are about +15% IPC vs Vishera, they never made it to dedicated CPU's with L3 but would be 60% + 15% = 70%.

So that would make them 70 + 40% = 100% of Haswell.

all the leaks and rumours are that its actually compared with Excavator, (that 7'th gen APU) which is another 20%.

What the leaks say is the IPC is actually slightly higher than Haswell but slightly lower than sky Lake.

I'm inclined to believe that given what was said about Zen to JPR in the last interview with AMD, you don't hype those guys up unless you have very good reason, AMD certainly did that.

Back
Top Bottom