• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How many of you are going to get a Broadwell-E CPU?

Associate
So as ill be getting a GTX 1070 and had my current system for almost 3.5 years im thinking of a complete build, i current have the i7-4770K would i be better off getting a Broadwell-e or waiting for the Kaby Lake?

Soldato
So as ill be getting a GTX 1070 and had my current system for almost 3.5 years im thinking of a complete build, i current have the i7-4770K would i be better off getting a Broadwell-e or waiting for the Kaby Lake?

If you mostly game you would probably be better off keeping the current CPU and putting the money saved into a 1080...

Associate
If you mostly game you would probably be better off keeping the current CPU and putting the money saved into a 1080...

Bad advice. Better off with 1070 or better yet waiting for AMD's release or BETTER YET WAITING FOR 1080TI. 1080 will be a totally gimped cash grab attempt by NVIDIA and not representative of what the new architecture can do.

Associate

no point upgrading that cpu if you mainly use it for gaming. Honestly, your cpu should last for at least another 2 years or so. Just look at the 2600K, still going pretty strong when overclocked.

Associate
New CPU

Hi, the price of this new 10 core chip (6950x) is reported to be $1700...!

These two look OK price wise;
"Intel Core i7-6850K ($617 US) and Intel Core i7-6800K ($434 US) 6 Core / 12 Thread Processors"

-Can't you offload some of the video encoding to the GPU with on of the new Nvidia cards? GPU processing can be 10x-100x increase over CPU and you would also have a great game PC!

Nick.

Soldato
Bad advice. Better off with 1070 or better yet waiting for AMD's release or BETTER YET WAITING FOR 1080TI. 1080 will be a totally gimped cash grab attempt by NVIDIA and not representative of what the new architecture can do.
If he wants to build a system now though, it's the best out there. AMD is very unlikely to beat that with Polaris.

It's not 'gimped' at all, either. :/

I think it's pretty solid advice. The extra £200 or so for a 1080 would provide a proper meaningful boost in gaming performance and would leave him cash in his pocket compared to the prices of these Broadwell-E's.

Of course if he can wait, then wait. But there's always something better coming...

Soldato
So for anyone looking to upgrade in the next few weeks, would you guys go Skylake 6700k or Broadwell-E 6800k? They're not a million miles apart in terms of price, though the cost of the X99 board is probably going to be higher too I would imagine. I mostly game, but I'm looking to keep my next system for at least 4-5 years so want some future proofing. From the benchmarks I've seen it looks like some tasks/games prefer the higher clocked 6700k while other tasks/games prefer the more cores on the 6800k.

Soldato
I am dual-running a Sandy Bridge-E rig (4.6GHZ 64GB RAM) and a Skylake rig (6700k, 4.8GHZ, 8GB RAM) now.

I would go for a small, overclocked Skylake rig, no question.

I am looking at the Anandtech review right now for the 6950X and thinking - NOPE.

Soldato
So for anyone looking to upgrade in the next few weeks, would you guys go Skylake 6700k or Broadwell-E 6800k? They're not a million miles apart in terms of price, though the cost of the X99 board is probably going to be higher too I would imagine. I mostly game, but I'm looking to keep my next system for at least 4-5 years so want some future proofing. From the benchmarks I've seen it looks like some tasks/games prefer the higher clocked 6700k while other tasks/games prefer the more cores on the 6800k.
Wait to see overclocking results on the 6800k, first of all.

If they're good, then it really is a bit of a toss up. No indication of any real trend towards 6+ core setups gaining steam in games, though it's not completely impossible it happens at some point.

Let me put it this way: I doubt you'll seriously regret either, but if any amount of regret does occur, it's more likely to come from the extra cost of the 6800k.

Soldato

What a hilarious post! Calls the 1080 'gimped' but recommends a 1070 which is er .... a 'gimped' 1080. We don't know the full performance or retail pricing of the 1070 so those people waiting for it like it will be the second coming may yet be rather disappointed...

The general thrust of my previous post is that money would be better spent on a gpu given the intended use *primarily gaming* the op gave.

The 1080 is the fastest single consumer gpu on the market... Period... Regardless of how many fools want to call it mid range. It's an early Pascal card so in time it will be surpassed by bigger Pascal gpu cards with better performance.

The 1080 has a full gp104 die completely 'un gimped' unlike the 1070 which has a gp104 die with parts disabled. Just because as the manufacturing process improves NVIDIA will be able to make bigger dies commercially viable does not make the 1080 gimped or mid range. Waiting for a '1080ti' if your in the market for a new card now is totally insane as well. It's going to be quite a few months before we even hear about the 'big' Pascal cards let alone can buy them. If NVIDIA follow there previous pattern we will probably see a 'Titan' card first with a price point to match! So unless the op fancies waiting upwards of a year for an upgrade he's probably best buying a 1080/1070 (pending price/ reviews) , AMD's next offering (ditto) or a 980ti (if a good price)

Last edited:
Soldato
What a hilarious post! Calls the 1080 'gimped' but recommends a 1070 which is er .... a 'gimped' 1080. We don't know the full performance or retail pricing of the 1070 so those people waiting for it like it will be the second coming may yet be rather disappointed...

The general thrust of my previous post is that money would be better spent on a gpu given the intended use *primarily gaming* the op gave.

The 1080 is the fastest single consumer gpu on the market... Period... Regardless of how many fools want to call it mid range. It's an early Pascal card so in time it will be surpassed by bigger Pascal gpu cards with better performance.

The 1080 has a full gp104 die completely 'un gimped' unlike the 1070 which has a gp104 die with parts disabled. Just because as the manufacturing process improves NVIDIA will be able to make bigger dies commercially viable does not make the 1080 gimped or mid range. Waiting for a '1080ti' if your in the market for a new card now is totally insane as well. It's going to be quite a few months before we even hear about the 'big' Pascal cards let alone can buy them. If NVIDIA follow there previous pattern we will probably see a 'Titan' card first with a price point to match! So unless the op fancies waiting upwards of a year for an upgrade he's probably best buying a 1080/1070 (pending price/ reviews) , AMD's next offering (ditto) or a 980ti (if a good price)

But it is a midrange card :p

Soldato
Three faster cards and three slower cards on the way. It's in the middle.

It's a midrange card with super high end price tag.

Associate
Yup, more than enough to complain about with these blimmin intel chips. I bought a 5930k and x99 last year thinking that there would be a decent upgrade path in the future, but it will be years before 10 cores is available at a reasonable budget at this rate. Intel seem to be intentionally killing off the high end desktop market.

Permabanned
You don't have to upgrade every year, be happy with what you have, upgrade every 5 years and get your moneys worth ;)

There are employees at Intel and NVidia who still use Core2Duo's and 8800GTX's you know lol ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Kaby lake for socket 1151 is supposed to be Q3-Q4, so October ish.

It also brings the Z270 chipset with it, which will support cannonlake in 2017. That's the all new arch on 10nm, that supposedly will bring 6-core to the mainstream platform.
Cannonlake isn't an all-new architecture. It's a process shrink of Kaby Lake. Kaby Lake itself will only really bring full HEVC decoding and USB 3.1 native support, other than that don't expect any improvement over Skylake.

I think that's why Skylake was such a disappointment - it was a brand new architecture, the only one we're going to get from Intel in a ~3 year period, and it barely improved IPC over Broadwell.

Soldato
Cannonlake isn't an all-new architecture. It's a process shrink of Kaby Lake. Kaby Lake itself will only really bring full HEVC decoding and USB 3.1 native support, other than that don't expect any improvement over Skylake.

I think that's why Skylake was such a disappointment - it was a brand new architecture, the only one we're going to get from Intel in a ~3 year period, and it barely improved IPC over Broadwell.

Dat IMC, doh.

Back
Top Bottom