• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just overclocked my AMD CPU - What a joy to do!

Soldato
So I thought I would get round to overclocking my AMD CPU on my work PC.
I saw in Catalyst control centre that it had an auto clocking feature so thought I would just try that first to get a benchmark.

How pleasantly surprised i was!

Literally one click of the button to test the cpu and it ran through the process.
I cant be sure but what I think it did first was up the voltage to the max level it felt the temp were safe at (which I agreed with). Then proceeded to slowly up the clock speed, testing itself each time as it went, until it finally crashed.

When I put the computer back on, it had remembered the last "good" clock speed and I just clicked a button to accept it.

two clicks, all done!

I've checked temps and stuff since and I honestly don't think I could have got a better overclock had I done it myself manually. Was really impressed.
The whole process took about 20mins and with next to no input from me.

Granted I haven't done massive lengthy stress testing. but I don't game on this comp so don't think I need to. I only really use chrome and office. I will report back in a few weeks to confirm stability.

I went from 3.7Ghz @ 1.425v to 4.3Ghz @ 1.4625v all automatically.

It certainly beats messing about in the Bios and taking hours to do it.
As the temps are right on the limit of where I want them to be I honestly don't think I could have got a better overclock myself.

Hope Intel come out with such software in the future. I'm really impressed!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds rather nice actually :) At some point I'll have to replace my Sandy, and I have absolutely no idea how to overclock any more, so similar tuning software from Intel would be much appreciated xD

Man of Honour
Wuss!! Do it properly in the bios. :D:p:D

Most motherboards either have a auto tuning thing in the bios or comes with some overclocking software these days. That's for pansies that can't be bothered to do it properly though. At least doing it properly in the bios you learn how to overclock and understand which settings effects things. Evene in the bios it's easy these days and you only really need the ability to change vcore, multiplier, LLC and maybe ring voltage. The days of tweaking and fine tuning are long gone.

Soldato
OP
Wuss!! Do it properly in the bios. :D:p:D

Most motherboards either have a auto tuning thing in the bios or comes with some overclocking software these days. That's for pansies that can't be bothered to do it properly though. At least doing it properly in the bios you learn how to overclock and understand which settings effects things. Evene in the bios it's easy these days and you only really need the ability to change vcore, multiplier, LLC and maybe ring voltage. The days of tweaking and fine tuning are long gone.

I've done lots of Overclocking in the bios. Agreed it's good to learn what your doing but I think your missing my point a bit. I didn't need a cutting edge overclock, its my work PC, and in 2 clicks I was done. After checking it I was impressed how well it clocked. I don't think I could have done it better myself. Anymore Hz and unstable, any more volts and too hot. It got it nailed. Impressed me that is all. I kind of assumed it would just stick 100Mhz on the clock and that would be it. But it actually raised the voltage and everything. I thought it was really good.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I thought I would get round to overclocking my AMD CPU on my work PC.
I saw in Catalyst control centre that it had an auto clocking feature so thought I would just try that first to get a benchmark.

How pleasantly surprised i was!

Literally one click of the button to test the cpu and it ran through the process.
I cant be sure but what I think it did first was up the voltage to the max level it felt the temp were safe at (which I agreed with). Then proceeded to slowly up the clock speed, testing itself each time as it went, until it finally crashed.

When I put the computer back on, it had remembered the last "good" clock speed and I just clicked a button to accept it.

two clicks, all done!

I've checked temps and stuff since and I honestly don't think I could have got a better overclock had I done it myself manually. Was really impressed.
The whole process took about 20mins and with next to no input from me.

Granted I haven't done massive lengthy stress testing. but I don't game on this comp so don't think I need to. I only really use chrome and office. I will report back in a few weeks to confirm stability.

I went from 3.7Ghz @ 1.425v to 4.3Ghz @ 1.4625v all automatically.

It certainly beats messing about in the Bios and taking hours to do it.
As the temps are right on the limit of where I want them to be I honestly don't think I could have got a better overclock myself.

Hope Intel come out with such software in the future. I'm really impressed!

AMD already removed/made this CPU overclocking software obsolete. Your just using ancient drivers for some reason, hence you still get this CPU overclocking function.

For the last few months, the latest drivers are 'Crimson Edition' - which contain many performance improvements, but remove this auto oc feature.

We can all assume AMD removed this feature as it wasn't popular, as 99% of true overclockers do it in the UEFI, not some silly software solution.

Soldato
Just use a 21.5x multi and 1.4625V in the bios. I am sure it would be overkill though. My FX8350 did 4.5GHz at 1.44V and my FX9590 does 4.7GHz and 5.0GHz turbo at 1.42V.

Although if a work PC maybe bios access is locked?

Back
Top Bottom