• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How many of you are going to get a Broadwell-E CPU?

Soldato
Since it has been leaked that the new top end Broadwell-E CPU will be a 10 core / 20 thread beast I have decided that that is going to be my next CPU upgrade (upgrading from a Sandybridge-E i7 3930k).

So who else is going to make the jump to Broadwell-E when it comes out at some point in Q1 2016? Sounds like it will be a real monster of a CPU when it comes out and it'll certainly help with the video work I'm about to start doing. I don't want to be spending most of my time waiting for videos to encode to make them ready to upload to YouTube.

Soldato
You'll really need a good reason and/or deep pockets to buy the ten core CPU. Given that for the first time in four generations of 'Enthusiast' CPU's well have a four sku lineup I anticipate a new premium £1,000 (+) price point for the top model as I don't expect Intel will be selling the lower models for less than there haswell-e counterparts.(which they are very likely to rather comparable to especially when overclocked)

Unless your workload can really benefit from the cores it will be be a waste of money to as a higher clocking six core will suit most tasks better

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Unless your workload can really benefit from the cores it will be be a waste of money to as a higher clocking six core will suit most tasks better

Yeah I do a lot of video encoding which really makes use of extra CPU cores and of course when you are Twitch streaming live game play having the extra cores is a huge help.

Sure it won't be a CPU for everyone but I certainly think I'll get really good use out of it. Hopefully it'll be released really soon (February would be awesome) but I'm prepared to wait either way.

Soldato
OP
Still waiting on something that is so objectively better than my 2550K for gaming that I can subjectively get past the attachment I have to my first ever CPU.

Wow. You make me feel old. My first ever CPU was a 286 :(.

Well technically it was my Dads but I used that computer the most.

Soldato
If the ten core is at the price point of the current 8 core I may consider it. If it's fleece wars again like is still going on with the 6700k I may just get a base system on the MM and upgrade again when Zen drops, I have a feeling that regardless of what system I go with I'll save money doing that.

Caporegime
Just got onto the x99 platform and a 5820k with a view to jump to broadwell E eventually - if rumours are true and the 5930k replacement is an 8 core chip (without the insane "extreme" price tag) i will eventually make the jump to one of those when it comes down in price a bit or i can find one for a good price (ie so not at release!).

Soldato
Just got onto the x99 platform and a 5820k with a view to jump to broadwell E eventually - if rumours are true and the 5930k replacement is an 8 core chip (without the insane "extreme" price tag) i will eventually make the jump to one of those when it comes down in price a bit or i can find one for a good price (ie so not at release!).

From why we know about broadwell-e it will consist of four sku's

•Intel Core i7-6950X: 10 cores, 20 threads, 25MB L3 cache, 3.0GHz
•Intel Core i7-6900K: 8 cores, 16 threads, 20MB L3 cache, 3.3GHz
•Intel Core i7-6850K: 6 cores, 12 threads, 15MB L3 cache, 3.6GHz
•Intel Core i7-6800K: 6 cores, 12 threads, 15MB L3 cache, 3.4GHz

http://m.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/88235-intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-launch-set-q2-2016-suggests-leak/

Now the 6800k - 6900k look like they will be updates of the current haswell-e lineup with minor in increases to the stock clock speeds (I.e. Two six cores and one eight core - expect the 6800k to come with 28 pci-e lanes ala 5820k with the 6850k coming with 40 ala 5930k). The 6950x represents a new tier for the enthusiast line given that the past three generations have consisted of three sku's

I have indicated previously (re skylake pricing) that Intel tend to be rather consistent with their pricing structure with new comparable cpu's costing a similar amount to the previous gen.

So Intel have two choices with broadwell-e pricing

1) maintain haswell-e style pricing for the lower thee sku's add a new price point for the top chip - expect at least a £200 premium over the next chip (so £1,000 +)

2) drop the price points of the three chips comparable to haswell-e cpu's so the new top end chip sells for circa £800 in the UK.

Given that Intel wont face any competition at this level and given that you could hardly drop the price of the 6800k below the current 5820k price without making it cheaper (from Intel) than the 6700k I expect option one will be likely.

( if Intel maintain 5820k pricing for the 6800k - resulting in around £300-£320 at retail in UK, then they will have to significantly move the price points for the other two 'k' cpu's from the equivalent haswell-e price points - 5930k £430-£450 and 5960x circa £800)

Soldato
From why we know about broadwell-e it will consist of four sku's

•Intel Core i7-6950X: 10 cores, 20 threads, 25MB L3 cache, 3.0GHz
•Intel Core i7-6900K: 8 cores, 16 threads, 20MB L3 cache, 3.3GHz
•Intel Core i7-6850K: 6 cores, 12 threads, 15MB L3 cache, 3.6GHz
•Intel Core i7-6800K: 6 cores, 12 threads, 15MB L3 cache, 3.4GHz

http://m.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/88235-intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-launch-set-q2-2016-suggests-leak/

Now the 6800k - 6900k look like they will be updates of the current haswell-e lineup with minor in increases to the stock clock speeds (I.e. Two six cores and one eight core - expect the 6800k to come with 28 pci-e lanes ala 5820k with the 6850k coming with 40 ala 5930k). The 6950x represents a new tier for the enthusiast line given that the past three generations have consisted of three sku's

I have indicated previously (re skylake pricing) that Intel tend to be rather consistent with their pricing structure with new comparable cpu's costing a similar amount to the previous gen.

So Intel have two choices with broadwell-e pricing

1) maintain haswell-e style pricing for the lower thee sku's add a new price point for the top chip - expect at least a £200 premium over the next chip (so £1,000 +)

2) drop the price points of the three chips comparable to haswell-e cpu's so the new top end chip sells for circa £800 in the UK.

Given that Intel wont face any competition at this level and given that you could hardly drop the price of the 6800k below the current 5820k price without making it cheaper (from Intel) than the 6700k I expect option one will be likely.

( if Intel maintain 5820k pricing for the 6800k - resulting in around £300-£320 at retail in UK, then they will have to significantly move the price points for the other two 'k' cpu's from the equivalent haswell-e price points - 5930k £430-£450 and 5960x circa £800)

PCI-E lanes are the deal-breaker for me. If the 6850 does bump it up to 40, that's a BIG differentiator between it and the 6800 from my point of view.

Soldato
I am going to wait till new E chipset and Skylake-E I think. Skylake just has better performance per core and hopefully prices will be better. I don't see the 8 core none E being cheaper than the current 8 core E. 10 core E will fill a new £1k price point sadly. Intel don't mess about that way and reduce their top tier cpus that quick. So rather see what the new chipset and Skylake-E have to offer, maybe more pcie lanes and pcie version 4 for the graphics cards. X99 is still not a huge upgrade for me for the price and hassle of a complete system rebuild, also by then windows 10 would have matured for me to do that complete hardware and os change all in one. Sticking to windows 7 for now as it is stable and reliable,no rush for dx12 either as hardly any games will even have dx12 support even by the time Skylake-E is out.

Back
Top Bottom