• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel’s Broadwell-E Flagship Core i7-6950X Processor Confirmed – 10 Core Madness For X99 Enthusiast

Caporegime
Intel has confirmed their flagship Broadwell-E processor in the latest compatibility list of their ME(Management Engine) software. Known as the Core i7-6950X, the processor has leaked before several times but not on Intel’s own website where the chip is listed in a support list of their new utility software along with its specifications. It is all we have been hearing about and seems like enthusiasts are finally getting a taste of 10 core processors.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-6950x-broadwell-e-confirmed/

Caporegime
It's good that it will be available but tbh 8 cores are still overkill for the majority of tasks and 4-6 super fast cores are still the best option for any gamer and will be for the forseeable future.

If anything it just shows how far AMD have fallen behind, as it stands Intel will have 3 tiers of processors with performance well in excess of what AMD can offer (6c, 8c, 10c).

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
So is X99 the way to go, what's happening to Z170?
Andi.

Pricing makes people forget, but intel Z170 or more accurately the whole socket 1151 range are Intel's APU's. The Intel X99 range is their non APU range.

On the AMD side it is AM1 FM2 and FM2+ are the APU's and the AM3+ are the non APU.
Quite what will happen and how the new Zen chips will fit in when they arrive I do not know.

Soldato
I'm guessing the 69xx CPUs are the only ones with all the PCIe lanes connected.

Highly unlikely that this will be the case there's two hex core cpu's a octo core and a deca core in the broadwell -e lineup. The two hex cores will need more than a stock frequency bump to distinguish them so its pretty much a given that they will be like the 5820k and 5930k of haswell-e with the more expensive hex core coming with 40 pci-e lanes

The two hex cores are the 6800k and 6850k so 'full' pci-e lanes are unlikely to be 69xx only

Soldato
It's good that it will be available but tbh 8 cores are still overkill for the majority of tasks and 4-6 super fast cores are still the best option for any gamer and will be for the forseeable future.

If anything it just shows how far AMD have fallen behind, as it stands Intel will have 3 tiers of processors with performance well in excess of what AMD can offer (6c, 8c, 10c).

Eh? The Skylake i3's blow AMD's FX range out of the water in the majority of applications, so make that 7 tiers of processors that Intel have ahead of AMD (i3, i5, i7, i7 hex, i7 octa, i7 10 core)

Soldato
Still waiting patiently for Skylake-E. I think unless you already have an X99 motherboard upgrading to Broadwell-E is a waste of time. Skylake-E will have all the new motherboard technology built into its chipset which should make the system last for a good few years (I normally make sure my PCs last at least 5 years).

Associate
Still waiting patiently for Skylake-E. I think unless you already have an X99 motherboard upgrading to Broadwell-E is a waste of time. Skylake-E will have all the new motherboard technology built into its chipset which should make the system last for a good few years (I normally make sure my PCs last at least 5 years).

So you're saying Broadwell-e won't be able to play games/ encode videos adequately in 5 years time? What exactly do you think the state of computing will be then? Not too different to today, that's for sure.

Anyone who upgrades two cpus on the same platform is doing it wrong and throwing money away. Broadwell-e will handle anything thrown at it and then some. You are delusional if you think otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom