• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What can I expect from my i5 4690k?

Associate
I currently have a custom watercool loop just for the CPU, 1x 240mm rad for it.

Its currently not overclocked at all. What can I expect and is anyone able to point me in the right direction to people who have also overclocked it?

Never overclocked in my life, so I'd be lying if I'm not crapping myself

Soldato
Custom loop with a single 240mm rad??

It's dead easy mate, you could easily get 4.5ghz out of it and there are plenty of details on the forum for how to start with overclocking.

I would suggest the following:

Enable Power Saving, C3 and C6
Set LLC to Level 3
CPU vcore offset to +0.010v
VTT to 1.10 (you may want to leave this as default to start with)
Set XMP profile for RAM
Multiplyer to x45

DO NOT use burn in tests, just jump into a game and see how you get on. If you get a blue screen with error code 124, you need more vCore so add a single notch to the offset and test again.

Associate
OP
Custom loop with a single 240mm rad??

It's dead easy mate, you could easily get 4.5ghz out of it and there are plenty of details on the forum for how to start with overclocking.

Set LLC to Level 3
Set XMP profile for RAM
Multiplyer to x45

DO NOT use burn in tests, just jump into a game and see how you get on. If you get a blue screen with error code 124, you need more vCore so add a single notch to the offset and test again.

Thank you very much. I'm gonna try this when I'm home, gathering information while at work. And yeah just a single rad for now. I don't have massive budgets so I got a custom loop to then add to it over time. I'll be adding a second rad, maybe even a third. when the 1070 drops and their waterblocks are released.

Associate
Ahh ok, that makes sense! I'm too scared to attempt a custom loop, lol, so sticking with trusty air coolers!

I must admit I would love a custom loop but im the same im sticking with a trusty air cooler..

Ive managed to get 4.6 out of my 4690k on Air and the temperature was fine.
I run it 24/7 at 4.4 though as it very rarely gets switched off.

getting a new motherboard in a deal in the next week or 2 so ill be having another play with the overclock with the new board.

Soldato
I was crapping myself when I first built my computer. Was my first ever build from scratch and first ever incounter with watercooling. Surprisingly it wasn't as hard or scary as you'd expect.

I know its not hard but my point is if it goes wrong I cannot afford to replace all my hardware. To remove the potential loss, I'm sticking to air. Temps are much better now - 66c with my 4790k @ 4.5.

I must admit I would love a custom loop but im the same im sticking with a trusty air cooler..

Ive managed to get 4.6 out of my 4690k on Air and the temperature was fine.
I run it 24/7 at 4.4 though as it very rarely gets switched off.

getting a new motherboard in a deal in the next week or 2 so ill be having another play with the overclock with the new board.

I may try and push it more, around 4.7ghz considering the temps I'm getting already but the performance difference will be negligible. I rekon I could get 5ghz easy under a custom loop.

Associate
I know its not hard but my point is if it goes wrong I cannot afford to replace all my hardware. To remove the potential loss, I'm sticking to air. Temps are much better now - 66c with my 4790k @ 4.5.
yea that would be my worry also.

I may try and push it more, around 4.7ghz considering the temps I'm getting already but the performance difference will be negligible. I rekon I could get 5ghz easy under a custom loop

Ive been thinking on going for the 4790k I would imagine with it having a higher stock clock to the 4690k it should be able to be pushed that wee bit more.

Soldato
Could any of you guys give me the numbers you're using? I'm aiming for the 4.5 mark, that would make me a happy chappy at the moment.

Bare in mind, Never overclocked in my life

Set LLC to Level 3
Set XMP profile for RAM
Multiplyer to x45

Soldato
I Disagree, DO stress test the CPU, but not with the latest prime95. I'd use OCCT large data set and monitor the temps with HW monitor. Stability is key, and you need to confirm it with tests.

Soldato
I have a MSI Z97-G43.

That is another question I've been aware of. What programs should I use to stress-test? And whats the most reliable method to keep an eye on temps.

Realbench is a decent, safe, test.

Core temp will tell you your temps.

Keep the temps at a max of low 80s with realbench.

Obviously everyone has their own method / programs of choice, this is just one way to do it.

I personally find that stress testing gives you a guide for what is kinda stable, but real world use still tends to crash, and I need to tweak it a little more in the coming weeks.

Soldato
I Disagree, DO stress test the CPU, but not with the latest prime95. I'd use OCCT large data set and monitor the temps with HW monitor. Stability is key, and you need to confirm it with tests.

I have a MSI Z97-G43.

That is another question I've been aware of. What programs should I use to stress-test? And whats the most reliable method to keep an eye on temps.

The problem with stress-test is that is puts unrealistic and unnecessary loads on the CPU. You may have a stable overclock when using the likes of OCCT but that won't guarantee you a stable overclock when it comes to gaming as the loads will be different. Same with the temps, you'll get far higher temps from stressing than gaming...swings and roundabouts I guess!

Back
Top Bottom