• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgraded to i7 6700K

Associate
Hey all.

Just upgraded from a i7 920 D0 to a i7 6700K. According to corsair link my CPU sits idle at around 20c. All well and good but i always have the LED inside my H80i water block set to temp based, I noticed with this new CPU the colours are jumping all all over the place(green to amber) ... i noticed as soon as i do anything on my pc the cpu load instantly spikes on one core and the temp shoots to around 50c causing the water block to flash amber then instantly back to green.

My i7 920 didn't do this and seemed more "stable" temp wise although ran hotter idle, Im just wondering if the above is normal with these newer cpus?

Nothing is overclocked and my bios is at default settings.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey all.

Just upgraded from a i7 920 D0 to a i7 6700K. According to corsair link my CPU sits idle at around 20c. All well and good but i always have the LED inside my H80i water block set to temp based, I noticed with this new CPU the colours are jumping all all over the place(green to amber) ... i noticed as soon as i do anything on my pc the cpu load instantly spikes on one core and the temp shoots to around 50c causing the water block to flash amber then instantly back to green.

My i7 920 didn't do this and seemed more "stable" temp wise although ran hotter idle, Im just wondering if the above is normal with these newer cpus?

Nothing is overclocked and my bios is at default settings.
I would say it is normal.
New cpus don't have their IHS soldered like the 1366/2011 cpus. Results in the high fluctuation of temp.
And your thermal paste needs sometime to become fully effective.

Associate
I have the i7 6700k with a Corsair closed loop cooler and yes the temperature is very cool at idle but quickly rises and falls under load .. gets to a max of 52 so far under 100% load

Associate
OP
Ran a prime95 x64 Small FFTs stress test for 15-20 mins just to check the load temps .... Hit a high of 72c right at the start of the test but then dropped back down and sat at around 61-63c.

Soldato
Perfectly normal - it's just far more noticable since Skylake idles so low, comapred to other CPU's.

The temperatures also drop very quickly after the task is completed.

Soldato
It worried me a little when I got mine a couple of weeks ago, as it fluctuates a lot faster than Haswell did. Stress test load temps are very good though.

Associate
Yep they do rise and fall a lot faster than the old i7 920Do that i had as well .. but with an OC of 4.6 mine is cool as a cucumber and quite a bit faster :)

Back
Top Bottom