Solid State Drives (SSD's) explained

Associate
Im actually going to now get a ssd for the primary, but im not sure what im going to get for the secondary either a mechanical or ssd this would be for storing music etc and video converting,editing.

Associate
Is there a practical use for a secondary SSD? I've just bought a bigger SSD so wondering what to do with the one to be replaced? I assume there's no advantage to installing Steam games on to it, or other software if it can all fit on the primary? I've got a 4TB HDD for all my media also.

Soldato
Is there a practical use for a secondary SSD? I've just bought a bigger SSD so wondering what to do with the one to be replaced? I assume there's no advantage to installing Steam games on to it, or other software if it can all fit on the primary? I've got a 4TB HDD for all my media also.

Unless you are likely to be frequently doing very read or write intensive tasks in parallel then there isn't really any benefit except for more space.

Soldato
I seem to be going round in circles and confusing myself.

Simply, my HDD in my 6 yr old Dell XPS has failed, I would like to fit SSD for a bit of performance. Do i just plug it in like a normal HDD and reinstall Windows?

Associate
I seem to be going round in circles and confusing myself.

Simply, my HDD in my 6 yr old Dell XPS has failed, I would like to fit SSD for a bit of performance. Do i just plug it in like a normal HDD and reinstall Windows?

yes, check sata mode in bios is set to ahci before installing

Soldato
My drive came yesterday, 500GB Samsung EVO, i didn't have time to install but i did have a look in my BIOS. I cant seem to find AHCI option.

Ive got a Dell XPS 430.

If i don't have this option, am i right in thinking that it will run anyway but just not at the 6gbs SATA III speed?

Associate
I remember when I first bought my SSD, 6+ years ago. Baby sat it for a long time afterwards, reducing writes, etc. Turns out there was no need and now I simply forget about it. Still going strong.

Associate
I changed my HDD to SSD a long time ago. I have it on my computer and PS4 console. Thanks to it, the PC and PS start working quieter. I recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom